Would it be moral to starve, hypothetical question.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 03:44 AM
RE: Would it be moral to starve, hypothetical question.
And I still do feel unmoral for eating meat. Or anything else. As I said, I try not to support meat industry, but choose the private individuals with farms, peasants who take care of their cattle whole their life. The morality there and in big meat factories is quite different, more "natural" if you want.

Plus, I do not worry my pretty little head with this kind of moral issues, I have much more important things to worry about. Everyone has something else that they prioritize...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote: Filox:
I do not worry my pretty little head with this kind of moral issues

And yet, here you are. But at least you do have an ethical stance.

I can't help but wonder why people who claim no to care about the moral questions related to being dominant species are impelled to piss on the subject at every opportunity, when it would be easier to simply ignore it.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
31-03-2012, 08:58 AM
(29-03-2012 04:40 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  So I have went full vegetarian. I have done a tremendous amount of reading, and discussions with my philosophy board and ethics class has prompted my change. The strongest argument I find with abstaining from eating meat is the well-being and happiness it retracts from animals. Considering I can be perfectly fine with eating vegetables the rest of my life, I see no problem with removing meat from my diet.

Now, to bring about a hypothetical question from the viewpoint of my previous statements. IF, one day we are to discover that plants can feel pain when killed and/or somehow are aware of their existence, and we operate on the morality concerning well-being/autonomy & respect, would it not then be moral to starve to death?

Trivial comments displayed with no moral than an impulse thought directed by your adrenaline glands and shrunken cerebral cortices will be met with no more than a request to go educate yourself, and to get fucked. I want a serious inquiry into the moral implications of well being/autonomy, and our status if our only source of food would require use to ignore the morality of the previous given criteria.
Your reasoning for being a vegan is as logical as the Catholic Church's view on the perfection of nature.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
31-03-2012, 07:45 PM
(31-03-2012 08:58 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 04:40 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  So I have went full vegetarian. I have done a tremendous amount of reading, and discussions with my philosophy board and ethics class has prompted my change. The strongest argument I find with abstaining from eating meat is the well-being and happiness it retracts from animals. Considering I can be perfectly fine with eating vegetables the rest of my life, I see no problem with removing meat from my diet.

Now, to bring about a hypothetical question from the viewpoint of my previous statements. IF, one day we are to discover that plants can feel pain when killed and/or somehow are aware of their existence, and we operate on the morality concerning well-being/autonomy & respect, would it not then be moral to starve to death?

Trivial comments displayed with no moral than an impulse thought directed by your adrenaline glands and shrunken cerebral cortices will be met with no more than a request to go educate yourself, and to get fucked. I want a serious inquiry into the moral implications of well being/autonomy, and our status if our only source of food would require use to ignore the morality of the previous given criteria.
Your reasoning for being a vegan is as logical as the Catholic Church's view on the perfection of nature.
Pretty sure this guy just won the thread.

Especially considering the OP's arrogant little comment on the end. "If you guys don't say what I want to hear, then I will tell you to fuck off, and educate yourselves." I am paraphrasing of course.
31-03-2012, 09:14 PM
(31-03-2012 07:45 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 08:58 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Your reasoning for being a vegan is as logical as the Catholic Church's view on the perfection of nature.
Pretty sure this guy just won the thread.

Especially considering the OP's arrogant little comment on the end. "If you guys don't say what I want to hear, then I will tell you to fuck off, and educate yourselves." I am paraphrasing of course.

Quote:Trivial comments displayed with no more* than an impulse thought directed by your adrenaline glands and shrunken cerebral cortices will be met with no more than a request to go educate yourself, and to get fucked.
My comment was asking for people to circle jerk with me? Please, don't be an idiot. I clearly stated that I did not want to hear trivial comments. If it is too much to ask for someone to place a little thought into a serious inquisition, then they--along with you--need to go get fucked and go educate yourselves.
(31-03-2012 08:58 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Get fucked and go educate yourself.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
31-03-2012, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 09:31 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(31-03-2012 09:14 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 07:45 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Pretty sure this guy just won the thread.

Quote:Trivial comments displayed with no more* than an impulse thought directed by your adrenaline glands and shrunken cerebral cortices will be met with no more than a request to go educate yourself, and to get fucked.
My comment was asking for people to circle jerk with me? Please, don't be an idiot. I clearly stated that I did not want to hear trivial comments. If it is too much to ask for someone to place a little thought into a serious inquisition, then they--along with you--need to go get fucked and go educate yourselves.
Yes, because your question is absurd, and that comment did nothing but let everyone else know you put yourself on the vegan moral high ground.

Case in point,
(31-03-2012 09:14 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 08:58 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Your reasoning for being a vegan is as logical as the Catholic Church's view on the perfection of nature.
Get fucked and go educate yourself.
ROFL!

Ohh and what is he supposed to educate himself with exactly? Your personal feelings towards being a vegan? How broccoli is actually a sentient being?
Ok, I think I got it now. He is supposed to educate himself in the proper way to circle jerk.

Your moral high ground is about as logically warranted as any Christian.
02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
(31-03-2012 09:20 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 09:14 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  My comment was asking for people to circle jerk with me? Please, don't be an idiot. I clearly stated that I did not want to hear trivial comments. If it is too much to ask for someone to place a little thought into a serious inquisition, then they--along with you--need to go get fucked and go educate yourselves.
Yes, because your question is absurd, and that comment did nothing but let everyone else know you put yourself on the vegan moral high ground.

Case in point,
(31-03-2012 09:14 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Get fucked and go educate yourself.
ROFL!

Ohh and what is he supposed to educate himself with exactly? Your personal feelings towards being a vegan? How broccoli is actually a sentient being?
Ok, I think I got it now. He is supposed to educate himself in the proper way to circle jerk.

Your moral high ground is about as logically warranted as any Christian.
Never placed myself on a moral high ground. The comment was clearly stated that I wanted a well thought out response. If your critical thinking and philosophy skills are that bankrupt, then I feel sorry for you. I guess this is the part where I suggest you go educate yourself on fallacies. Specifically Non Sequitur. You know, since it is obvious that you cannot make a clear distinction between asking for a reasonable response--for or against--or not to say anything at all.

Happy reading.

02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
It would seem the only way to justify death is to assertain weather or not it begets new life.

I dare say good sir, that all that plant matter you're ingesting will benefit a great deal of other micro organisms in your city's sewage treatment facilties.

Also, some arguments, or hypothetical questions are not worth asking because the question asker should have spent more time ruling it out.

Ie.

Pain is the net result of highly adapted sensory organs (nerves) sending electrical impulses through a nervous system, with a final stop at a central nervous system (brain), who's job it is to react to said stimuli and trigger a series of chemical, releases etc etc...

We know plants do not have the capacity to feel pain, therefore the qustion is null and void.

Also, regardless of any other viewpoint... I feel it's fine to eat meat so long as our species continues to have canine teeth.
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
This whole thread is rather odd.

If you are an atheist and believe morality to be subjective then why do you ask other people if it is moral to eat vegetables? Only you know your own morality system, if you have one. If you believe morality to be absolute, then why don't you simply refer to the guide book laying out the absolute rights and absolute wrongs?

Now let's say that it is immoral, in your mind, to eat food. Are you going to stop eating? If the answer is no, then why worry about the morality of it all?
Are you an ex-Catholic? Do you need that guilt factor in your daily life? Do you want to go to confession and tell the priestess how much of a bad boy you have been? Maybe you are into B&D and you want to justify some spankings?

I'm just not understanding the point of the question.
03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
(02-04-2012 01:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  This whole thread is rather odd.

If you are an atheist and believe morality to be subjective then why do you ask other people if it is moral to eat vegetables? Only you know your own morality system, if you have one. If you believe morality to be absolute, then why don't you simply refer to the guide book laying out the absolute rights and absolute wrongs?

Now let's say that it is immoral, in your mind, to eat food. Are you going to stop eating? If the answer is no, then why worry about the morality of it all?
Are you an ex-Catholic? Do you need that guilt factor in your daily life? Do you want to go to confession and tell the priestess how much of a bad boy you have been? Maybe you are into B&D and you want to justify some spankings?

I'm just not understanding the point of the question.
Your entire post can be answered with one statement. A statement that obviously differs me from you:

I like to think.

By the way, you do realize we are in the Philosophy section, right?
(02-04-2012 12:48 PM)djdj500 Wrote:  I dare say good sir, that all that plant matter you're ingesting will benefit a great deal of other micro organisms in your city's sewage treatment facilties.

Also, some arguments, or hypothetical questions are not worth asking because the question asker should have spent more time ruling it out.

We know plants do not have the capacity to feel pain, therefore the qustion is null and void.

Also, regardless of any other viewpoint... I feel it's fine to eat meat so long as our species continues to have canine teeth.
I like the first point. Utilitarianism of the sorts, correct?

Despite as conceited as you wish me to be, I like to ask help from others to obtain their opinion; I think it makes me more well rounded.

That is why it was a hypothetical question...

The argument from nature? Come on man, I have been over this. Yes, it is natural for us to eat other things/meat. No, that does not make it right. (Not saying it is wrong, just merely pointing out an appeal to nature that IS a fallacy) So as far as my "teeth" are concerned, it wouldn't/shouldn't waver mine or anyone's opinion on eating meat.