Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2016, 09:52 AM
RE: Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?
(19-01-2016 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 08:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  Motivation was nowhere addressed. Try again.

If religion were the motivator, then we'd expect to see negative attitudes towards muslims across different racial groups who subscribe to the same religion, but we don't.

Those are your conclusions.
The causes are intertwined and likely include familiarity in that particular population.
The survey does not directly address that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2016, 10:10 AM
(19-01-2016 09:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If religion were the motivator, then we'd expect to see negative attitudes towards muslims across different racial groups who subscribe to the same religion, but we don't.

Those are your conclusions.
The causes are intertwined and likely include familiarity in that particular population.

No the survey shows that the attitude towards muslims, even among groups that predominantly identify as Christian, is not the same across racial lines. This would falsely any suggestion that religion motivates anti-islamic sentiment. If you want to suggest it doesn't that you'd have to account for this disparity.

There's is no evidence to support of the claim that religion motivates anti-islamic sentiment, but there's a survey like the Pew one cited that throw a wrench in regards to such conclusions. Any half-wit not deluded by his anti-religious sentiment can see that.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
19-01-2016, 10:23 AM
(19-01-2016 10:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No the survey shows that the attitude towards muslims, even among groups that predominantly identify as Christian, is not the same across racial lines. This would falsely any suggestion that religion motivates anti-islamic sentiment. If you want to suggest it doesn't that you'd have to account for this disparity.

Nor is the difference statistically significant. I explained this to you a week ago.

Why do you insist on repeating false inferences?

(19-01-2016 10:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There's is no evidence to support of the claim that religion motivates anti-islamic sentiment...

If we allow your (knowingly incorrect) overreach on interpretation, then the exact same data clearly indicates that other religious groups have lower opinions of muslims than atheists do.

At least be consistent, champ.

(19-01-2016 10:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ... but there's a survey like the Pew one cited that throw a wrench in regards to such conclusions. Any half-wit not deluded by his anti-religious sentiment can see that.

I don't think deluded means what you think it means.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
19-01-2016, 10:42 AM
(19-01-2016 10:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 09:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  Those are your conclusions.

No the survey shows that the attitude towards muslims, even among groups that predominantly identify as Christian, is not the same across racial lines. This would falsely any suggestion that religion motivates anti-islamic sentiment. If you want to suggest it doesn't that you'd have to account for this disparity.

I did. Different populations provide different experiences. If one is personally acquainted with members of a particular group, one is likely to have a moderated opinion. That alone would account for the differences.

Quote:There's is no evidence to support of the claim that religion motivates anti-islamic sentiment, but there's a survey like the Pew one cited that throw a wrench in regards to such conclusions. Any half-wit not deluded by his anti-religious sentiment can see that.

Islam is a religion. Anti-Islamic attitudes are negative attitudes towards that religion and its adherents. Any half-wit not deluded by religion can see that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2016, 11:21 AM
(19-01-2016 10:23 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No the survey shows that the attitude towards muslims, even among groups that predominantly identify as Christian, is not the same across racial lines. This would falsely any suggestion that religion motivates anti-islamic sentiment. If you want to suggest it doesn't that you'd have to account for this disparity.

Nor is the difference statistically significant. I explained this to you a week ago.

And I pointed out the you incorrectly interpreted those numbers, and you ducked out of the conversation and never responded to my subsequent post:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid928404

So try again.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
19-01-2016, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2016 11:27 AM by cjlr.)
(19-01-2016 11:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:23 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Nor is the difference statistically significant. I explained this to you a week ago.

And I pointed out the you incorrectly interpreted those numbers, and you ducked out of the conversation and never responded to my subsequent post:

So try again.

I like this response of yours, because it neatly illustrates your disingenuousness. To have "ducked out", I would have had to drop that conversation but still be posting here. In actual fact, I was simply busy. You may note that I didn't respond to that thread, but that further I made no posts anywhere here in the intervening time. So there's that.

In any case, your understanding of the statistics is wrong. Deal with it.

To wit: within the sample, there is overlap between the margins of error of white opinion of muslims (excluding white muslims) and black opinion of muslims (excluding black muslims). It does not matter what the general population of each of those subgroups is, but rather the effect those exclusions have on the particular sample used by the surveyors.

You would prefer to draw invalid conclusions to support your presupposed feels, but unfortunately PEW provided their actual data, and you're simply wrong.
(none of which directly addresses the part where you also made up an opinion to ascribe to me; would you kindly refrain from doing so in the future?)

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
19-01-2016, 11:24 AM
(19-01-2016 11:22 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And I pointed out the you incorrectly interpreted those numbers, and you ducked out of the conversation and never responded to my subsequent post:

So try again.

I was busy. Your math is wrong. Deal with it.

No, you read the numbers the wrong, and didn't seem to understand what they represented. And ran away when called out on it.

19-01-2016, 11:31 AM
(19-01-2016 11:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:22 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I was busy. Your math is wrong. Deal with it.

No, you read the numbers the wrong, and didn't seem to understand what they represented.

Citation needed.

(19-01-2016 11:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And ran away when called out on it.

Citation needed.

And seriously, is that really the best you can do? That I was so scared of your idiocy I stayed away from the entire forum for a whole week? Pathetic bait, mate. Try harder.

19-01-2016, 11:34 AM
(19-01-2016 10:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  I did. Different populations provide different experiences. If one is personally acquainted with members of a particular group, one is likely to have a moderated opinion. That alone would account for the differences.

Well, there you go, I guess we're in agreement then.

19-01-2016, 11:35 AM
(19-01-2016 11:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, you read the numbers the wrong, and didn't seem to understand what they represented.

Citation needed.

(19-01-2016 11:24 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And ran away when called out on it.

Citation needed.

And seriously, is that really the best you can do? That I was so scared of your idiocy I stayed away from the entire forum for a whole week? Pathetic bait, mate. Try harder.

I already linked to the post that you failed to respond to, and cited the survey in question.