Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2016, 11:39 AM
RE: Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?
(19-01-2016 11:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I already linked to the post that you failed to respond to, and cited the survey in question.

I apologise that my life does not revolve around your insecurities; I was otherwise occupied for the next few days. Sorry.

If you'd like to clear things up, please list specific examples where I misrepresented or misinterpreted the data provided. I would be happy to respond to them.
(your continued failure to understand what margin of error means in terms of statistical significance notwithstanding)

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2016, 11:55 AM
(19-01-2016 11:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I already linked to the post that you failed to respond to, and cited the survey in question.

I apologise that my life does not revolve around your insecurities; I was otherwise occupied for the next few days. Sorry.

If you'd like to clear things up, please list specific examples where I misrepresented or misinterpreted the data provided. I would be happy to respond to them.
(your continued failure to understand what margin of error means in terms of statistical significance notwithstanding)

I have neither the desire nor inclination to know what Tommyboy's interpretation of that study is, but the group has a solid reputation for conducting rigorous analysis and that looks a thorough analysis to me looking at the data from a number of different facets. My read is that the margin of sampling error of 2.2% falls within the 95% CI. Which means the p-value would be <= 0.05 making it statistically significant. No? Help me out here brother.

#sigh
19-01-2016, 12:20 PM
This debate would be so much more productive in an armed duel format. Just saying.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2016, 12:50 PM
From the article Tomasia linked, which was an interesting study, btw: http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how-a...us-groups/

Quote:Knowing someone from a religious group is linked with having relatively more positive views of that group. Those who say they know someone who is Jewish, for example, give Jews an average thermometer rating of 69, compared with a rating of 55 among those who say they do not know anyone who is Jewish. Atheists receive a neutral rating of 50, on average, from people who say they personally know an atheist, but they receive a cold rating of 29 from those who do not know an atheist. Similarly, Muslims get a neutral rating (49 on average) from those who know a Muslim, and a cooler rating (35) from those who do not know a Muslim.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
19-01-2016, 01:06 PM
(19-01-2016 11:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 10:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  I did. Different populations provide different experiences. If one is personally acquainted with members of a particular group, one is likely to have a moderated opinion. That alone would account for the differences.

Well, there you go, I guess we're in agreement then.

No, we are not. It is about the target religion, not their race.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2016, 01:11 PM
(19-01-2016 12:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  This debate would be so much more productive in an armed duel format. Just saying.

Dohyō. I will show Tommyboy God. Up close and personal.

[Image: jesussumo.jpg]

#sigh
19-01-2016, 01:25 PM
(19-01-2016 11:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  

Well perhaps it would be easier if we start from the beginning. Prior to the pew being cited, you wrote of how Judeo-Christians have teamed up against the new other (Muslims), and I pointed out that you're primarily only speaking about white Judeo-Christians. And that this attitude isn't shared by brown christians.

You dismissed this as antidotal sentiments, and not polling data.

So then I cited the polling data (the pew survey) in support.

Even if you want to use the survey where muslims are excluded from the respondents, the survey still shows that black protestant attitudes towards Muslims is still more positive than white evangelical attitudes (44 vs 30), in fact it's equivalent to atheists/agnostic attitudes towards muslims in that survey.

If at this point there's nothing here for you to dispute, then we can just ignore correcting any of your other posts.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
19-01-2016, 01:43 PM
My neighbors ARE Muslim, and it deeply concerns me. My other neighbors are Hindu, and it deeply concerns me. The two across from me are Christians, and it deeply concerns me... I'm just surrounded by idiots. Friendly idiots.. And a lot of strange smells.
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
19-01-2016, 01:55 PM
(19-01-2016 01:43 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  My neighbors ARE Muslim, and it deeply concerns me. My other neighbors are Hindu, and it deeply concerns me. The two across from me are Christians, and it deeply concerns me... I'm just surrounded by idiots. Friendly idiots.. And a lot of strange smells.

On the plus side curry and tumeric are very healthy. Thumbsup

#sigh
19-01-2016, 01:59 PM
(19-01-2016 01:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 01:43 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  My neighbors ARE Muslim, and it deeply concerns me. My other neighbors are Hindu, and it deeply concerns me. The two across from me are Christians, and it deeply concerns me... I'm just surrounded by idiots. Friendly idiots.. And a lot of strange smells.

On the plus side curry and tumeric are very healthy. Thumbsup

Yeah it's the whole "that would probably be delicious, if it weren't just a mystery smell coming from a laundry vent... WHY THE HELL is it coming from the laundry vent?! Are they tumble roasting a tandoori chicken?"
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post