Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2016, 02:07 PM
RE: Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?
(19-01-2016 01:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 01:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  On the plus side curry and tumeric are very healthy. Thumbsup

Yeah it's the whole "that would probably be delicious, if it weren't just a mystery smell coming from a laundry vent... WHY THE HELL is it coming from the laundry vent?! Are they tumble roasting a tandoori chicken?"

With a few quick modifications to the dryer, that might work Consider

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-01-2016, 07:07 PM
(19-01-2016 07:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
That negative attitudes towards muslims, is almost exclusively a "white" thing.

You're kidding, right?

Have you ever been to Asia?

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-01-2016, 07:39 PM
At the moment i live in the deep south as a lesbian athiest from the north. I would live in a Muslim neighborhood if given the chance. (Assuming they are tolerant.) I hate the south imo.
[+] 2 users Like Kd_wants_to_battle's post
19-01-2016, 07:42 PM
(19-01-2016 07:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 07:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
That negative attitudes towards muslims, is almost exclusively a "white" thing.

You're kidding, right?

Have you ever been to Asia?

Dodgy

People would be quite amazed at some of the shit I've heard people say in Japan and China by cultures we don't typically stereotype as being racist, ethnocentric, anti-Muslim, etc.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2016, 07:58 PM
As long they aren't black. Smile
19-01-2016, 08:42 PM
I'd prefer a Muslim family to my paranoid solitary white male neighbor who talks about violence far too often. Dude is unsettling to say the least.

Tell the concerned lady I'd be happy to trade.
19-01-2016, 08:50 PM
(19-01-2016 08:42 PM)I Am Wrote:  I'd prefer a Muslim family to my paranoid solitary white male neighbor who talks about violence far too often. Dude is unsettling to say the least.

Tell the concerned lady I'd be happy to trade.

I'm not that bad once you get to know me Hobo

I mean I'm not that good either, but I'm pretty good at pretending.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
21-01-2016, 10:20 AM
(19-01-2016 11:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I apologise that my life does not revolve around your insecurities; I was otherwise occupied for the next few days. Sorry.

If you'd like to clear things up, please list specific examples where I misrepresented or misinterpreted the data provided. I would be happy to respond to them.
(your continued failure to understand what margin of error means in terms of statistical significance notwithstanding)

I have neither the desire nor inclination to know what Tommyboy's interpretation of that study is, but the group has a solid reputation for conducting rigorous analysis and that looks a thorough analysis to me looking at the data from a number of different facets. My read is that the margin of sampling error of 2.2% falls within the 95% CI. Which means the p-value would be <= 0.05 making it statistically significant. No? Help me out here brother.

The margin for the responses of each sub-group are correspondingly larger.

... this is my signature!
21-01-2016, 10:31 AM
(19-01-2016 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:39 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I apologise that my life does not revolve around your insecurities; I was otherwise occupied for the next few days. Sorry.

If you'd like to clear things up, please list specific examples where I misrepresented or misinterpreted the data provided. I would be happy to respond to them.
(your continued failure to understand what margin of error means in terms of statistical significance notwithstanding)

Well perhaps it would be easier if we start from the beginning. Prior to the pew being cited, you wrote of how Judeo-Christians have teamed up against the new other (Muslims), and I pointed out that you're primarily only speaking about white Judeo-Christians. And that this attitude isn't shared by brown christians.

No, that isn't what I said. I said that there have always been people worried about the new religious 'other', but that historically the identity of that other has changed as immigration and demographics do.

This makes no specific reference to race, which is a thing you pulled from your ass for the sake of disagreeing with me.

(19-01-2016 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You dismissed this as antidotal sentiments, and not polling data.

Because your comments were based on "NO U" and "BUT THATS JUST WHITE PEOPLE LOL".

(19-01-2016 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So then I cited the polling data (the pew survey) in support.

You misrepresented the data, because you don't know what margins of error are.

(19-01-2016 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Even if you want to use the survey where muslims are excluded from the respondents, the survey still shows that black protestant attitudes towards Muslims is still more positive than white evangelical attitudes (44 vs 30), in fact it's equivalent to atheists/agnostic attitudes towards muslims in that survey.

Incidentally, attitudes towards Muslims correlates almost exactly with personal acquaintance (and likewise for atheists). This is a recurring phenomenon in social science, perhaps most robustly catalogued in attitudes towards sexual minorities, so far as US data goes.

Of course, since the data do not give the median and variance, we don't know how the averages are actually constituted in any case. You don't even have a real point here; you just wanted to argue with a straw man.
(lest I need to reiterate: I made no reference to specific groups, racial or otherwise, in my comment; you added that bit)

(19-01-2016 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  If at this point there's nothing here for you to dispute, then we can just ignore correcting any of your other posts.

At best you're saying the attitudes of all demographic groups are not exactly the same, which honest observers would clearly see is not something that was ever in dispute.

... this is my signature!
22-01-2016, 06:08 PM
We have Muslim neighbors. We live in an apt and I've seen a couple that lives below us. The only thing that went through my mind is how sweet he was with his wife. So no it doesn't bother me.