Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 06:52 AM
RE: Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?
Why would your Muslim neighbors concern you? Don't let their silent treatment scare you into thinking they're somehow up to something nefarious. It's probably just a cultural thing, or maybe they don't speak English very well.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
15-01-2016, 06:59 AM
I'm in Michigan -- we've got the largest mosque in the USA - and I believe the largest population of Muslims in the US..

Why would it bother me???

Damned near every convenience store around is owned by either a Muslim, a Hindu or a Sikh... It doesn't stop me from buying a beer from them.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-01-2016, 08:00 AM
I just posted here a few minutes ago and don't see it. Does this forum delete posts that they don't like?
I'll try again and see if it sticks.

I bought a duplex a few years ago in Ft Lauderdale FL and the renters who were already there were Muslims. We had no problem with them, they paid their rent on time and were fine neighbors. The only surprise to me came when her father died and they held a "wake" or similar and their Muslim friends came to attend it. People knocking on our door because they were looking for the back door to our renters' apt. Since their women were not allowed to enter the same door as the men!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
15-01-2016, 08:00 AM
My next door neighbor is a Muslim. He's a better guy than most of the Christians I've known in my life.

I'm amazed that anyone would move because they were so ignorant they feared a person just for belonging to the religion of Islam.

Maybe the reason they're so closed-off is because people move away when they move in, mistreat them, etc., and they don't trust people until you demonstrate some cultural understanding and extend a clear olive branch of friendship. In their shoes, I wouldn't be any different.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-01-2016, 08:11 AM
If they can see past the koolaid fog to be neighborly, I would not be concerned at all. Proper country neighbors 'got your back' when the well goes out, the dog gets loose, the car breaks down and you need a push into the garage.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-01-2016, 08:32 AM
(15-01-2016 12:56 AM)xieulong Wrote:  While I was walking my dog earlier this week, I was joined by my neighbor from down the street. She is a Christian, more of a cultural Christian, not really devout. We usually talk about our dogs, work, and other mundane crap. On this walk, she voiced her concerns about her new next door neighbors. They are Muslims; Husband, wife, and 4 sons who are in their 20s or so. I've seen these people a couple times; I greeted them, but they didn't respond and kept to themselves. My neighbor said she feels very uncomfortable living next to them and she is thinking about selling her home and move.

My Spidey-sense would be tingling, not so much that they're Muslim but that they seem a bit odd.

That said, I would bake some brownies or cookies and welcome them before any judgement or conclusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-01-2016, 08:35 AM
I am surprised that as a Canadian, your neighbour should fear Muslims, or Sikhs, or anyone of any religion, or none. That's not typical for my largish Canadian city.
I have at least 3 Muslim neighbours, all are great. I sit with them on the bus all the time. They invited another (non-Muslim) neighbour (who they have known for longer than us, we are newer to the neighbourhood) to their daughter's wedding. Their children (around 7-10 ) dropped by the house to give us dates and almonds at sundown one night during Ramadan, explaining the custom. I often see Muslim groups handing out sandwiches on Saturday mornings near a homeless shelter downtown.
Yes, a Muslim person in our community was charged with aiding and abetting a terrorist organization (a computer expert I think). However, that did not result in any backlash that I know of against the other Muslim people in our neighbourhood.
There's a mosque within a five-minute walk from my house. And a Baptist church as well.
That said, there is a Somali gang problem in our city, but that has not translated into fear of Muslims (or Black people) per se, since one certainly does not equal the other.
Again, I am quite surprised this would be an issue in Canada: it certainly has not been my experience, generally.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
15-01-2016, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't care that they are Muslims.

I'd be annoyed at the non-response, though. Hell, I'm the type of person that feels a tinge of annoyance when someone doesn't even say "Thank you", or deliver a simple nod when I hold the door open for them.

I know a lot of people that live in neighborhoods simply don't like to be bothered, but it's not like they are being asked to hop into 10-15 minute conversations. It's just speaking and acknowledging your fellow neighbor(s). Nothing wrong with a "Hi, how ya doin'?", a "howdy", a wave or a nod.

One of my cousins and her husband live in a town right outside of Charlotte, NC. Everybody keeps to themselves and will look at you like a weirdo if you dare speak to them. But I digress.
[+] 2 users Like UndauntedToast's post
15-01-2016, 09:02 AM
you got it right.
New neighbors move in and I make a point of waving to them as I drive by. Eventually I will have a short convo out the window of the car, and it seems totally natural at that point. If you just walk up and knock, that sets a lot of people on edge.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-01-2016, 09:06 AM
This reminds me of the way people felt about black people moving into an area many years ago. Some of you are not old enough to know but I remember the social attitude that if a black person moved into your neighborhood the whites would move out, then because there was one black family, more would move in. It was a real fear for some that once black people moved into one house the neighborhood would soon be "took over" by black home owners.

It was also kind of a self fulfilling prophecy because it did actually work that way. If someone moved in and they weren't harassed out then it was safe for others black families to move there. There was always that one or two idiot bigots that would move because of that.

I went to a fully integrated school from the time I was in kindergarten but our neighborhood (we live in a neighborhood in the country) was white. My parents were bigots but I never bought into that either (just like religion, it didn't make sense) when I moved back to my home town with my husband and daughter (I was pregnant with my son) we bought a house in a mixed neighborhood. It was a very good/nice neighborhood next to a good school. We signed the papers and my parents met us there to walk into our "new to us" house for the first time. My mom saw the black lady next door and had a hissy fit because her grandkids were going to be growing up next door to a black family.

A couple days latter I went next door to introduce myself. She seemed nice and kind of funny, I liked her. I told her, "My mom's not thrilled we moved here." I raised my eyebrow to see if she would pick up on the innuendo. She laughed, "No. Well, that's going to be fun." I said, "Yeah, want to be my new best friend?" We both smiled. "Sure."

We've been thick as thieves ever since, 27yrs. She's the only person I go to KC to see even though I still have family there. She IS my only family besides my kids. We have been closer to each other than we are to our own sisters.

I think the Muslim/Gay neighbor scare will be the same. As people acclimate to something different it's touchy at first but eventually the tide turns and people adapt in order to move forward.

Progress rules. Cool

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post