Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 09:18 AM
RE: Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?
(15-01-2016 09:06 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Progress rules. Cool

There is no need for progress when it is enough to not care. My neighbour could be black, gay or even religious Wink but it's not something that concerns me.

I can imagine disliking neighbours for their habits but dislike on basis of race or sexual orientation I find incomprehensible.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-01-2016, 09:21 AM
I grew up in an all white suburb town of a properly segregated redneck city, with railroad tracks so people could go live on the other side of them. One day a black family moved in, and there was 1! black kid in our school system of about 2400. He was in my class and I told mom about my new friend James but neglected to tell him he was black. I think I was 7 or 8.
She was picking me up and I turn to point out my new friend in a sea of a hundred grade schoolers, and say "he is over there in the blue coat".
She told that story on me forever. Heart
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
15-01-2016, 09:39 AM
No. It wouldn't bother me. I told my husband a couple of weeks ago that if we had the room in our house I'd be willing to invite Syrian immigrants here for a temporary place to stay until they got settled.

Religions are so suspicious of each other and since I wasn't raised in a religious household I'm oblivious to this kind of thinking. It's rather like football or soccer players being trained to be keenly aware of their opponents strengths and strategy and always on guard. I never had this kind of training.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-01-2016, 09:51 AM
(15-01-2016 12:56 AM)xieulong Wrote:  ...
What about you guys/girls? Would it bother you?

I'm pretty sure my neighbour is Muslim.

And my neighbour's neighbour.

And my neighbour's, neighbour's neighbour.

I have a sneaking suspicion that 80% of the city might be of that persuasion.

Yes, I'm considering moving... because every Sunday there is some kind of christian meeting in the communal area on the ground floor.

I think it might be a terrorist cell.

Ohmy

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
15-01-2016, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 11:08 AM by Nishi Karano Kaze.)
(15-01-2016 09:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 12:56 AM)xieulong Wrote:  ...
What about you guys/girls? Would it bother you?

I'm pretty sure my neighbour is Muslim.

And my neighbour's neighbour.

And my neighbour's, neighbour's neighbour.

I have a sneaking suspicion that 80% of the city might be of that persuasion.

Yes, I'm considering moving... because every Sunday there is some kind of christian meeting in the communal area on the ground floor.

I think it might be a terrorist cell.

Ohmy
No no, it's YOU who are the terrorist.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
15-01-2016, 10:15 AM
(15-01-2016 09:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And my neighbour's, neighbour's neighbour.

.... wait, isn't your neighbor's neighbor's neighbor just your neighbor? Huh

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
15-01-2016, 10:16 AM
When I was a kid, about 1949 there was a neighborhood association and anyone selling a house had to legally have permission form the association for the purpose of keeping out black folks. My father never went to the association meetings and complained about the $10.00 a year dues (He earned $100 a week with six kids!) But he sure got active when George Rondman wanted to sell to a black family. We had a neighbor with a black lab whose name was nigger. Wren the conversation turned to the possible new neighbors I couldn't figure out what that had to do with Bob Pace's dog! My father died without changing his attitude. The week before he died in the Veterans' hospital a second cousin came to visit and had his black wife and their 2 kids. After cousin left my Dad said "I am sure glad none of you kids ever turned that direction!" We haven't totally gotten over that hurdle in the USA, but are getting there. Let's just hope that the old hatred isn't replaced with a new one against Muslims.
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
15-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Nah, the family across my side street are from Mexico (the kids translate), the people in the purple house with hot pink trim are from India, the muslims on the other side of the catholic hispanics get together with them & shoot off fireworks every fucking chance they get. The very young, all american couple across the street are so into their yard work that the rest of the neighborhood is disgusted and exhausted just watching them. However.... Consider the lesbians behind me have a suspiciously quiet bassett hound.

Maybe I should I worry. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
15-01-2016, 10:33 AM
As long as they put their rubbish in the bins, keep their property tidy and don't let their gardens become unsightly and have the courtesy to learn how to speak English then I have no problem with what religion they are.

If for any reason I hear them shout "allah ackbar" then that would seriously bother me, maybe you could tell by my face but I wouldn't say anything. Not that I expect or have seen any muslims here do that, I just seriously hate those two words.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
15-01-2016, 10:37 AM
No, why should it concern me if what my neighbor's religion is? It does and it does not. Christians concern me too. They shoot up churches, blow up federal buildings, take over bird sanctuaries.

But that does not mean I presume guilt as a default position. One is the bad logic humans use to justify any holy book. The other is when they use that bad logic to infect politics. Yes that does concern me, but that is all religions, including Hindus and Buddhists whomever.

But I do not presume guilt from someone who has not done anything yet.

If you are peaceful and remain such, why should I suspect you?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user