Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 10:39 AM
RE: Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?
There is not one nation on the face of the planet that does not have prisons or violent people.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2016, 11:12 AM
(15-01-2016 08:35 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I am surprised that as a Canadian, your neighbour should fear Muslims, or Sikhs, or anyone of any religion, or none. That's not typical for my largish Canadian city.
I have at least 3 Muslim neighbours, all are great. I sit with them on the bus all the time. They invited another (non-Muslim) neighbour (who they have known for longer than us, we are newer to the neighbourhood) to their daughter's wedding. Their children (around 7-10 ) dropped by the house to give us dates and almonds at sundown one night during Ramadan, explaining the custom. I often see Muslim groups handing out sandwiches on Saturday mornings near a homeless shelter downtown.
Yes, a Muslim person in our community was charged with aiding and abetting a terrorist organization (a computer expert I think). However, that did not result in any backlash that I know of against the other Muslim people in our neighbourhood.
There's a mosque within a five-minute walk from my house. And a Baptist church as well.
That said, there is a Somali gang problem in our city, but that has not translated into fear of Muslims (or Black people) per se, since one certainly does not equal the other.
Again, I am quite surprised this would be an issue in Canada: it certainly has not been my experience, generally.

Yes, I was surprised too, when she said it, she is really nice. No for sale sign up yet, hope she was just indulging in a hyperbole.
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2016, 11:27 AM
(15-01-2016 08:57 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  I wouldn't care that they are Muslims.

I'd be annoyed at the non-response, though. Hell, I'm the type of person that feels a tinge of annoyance when someone doesn't even say "Thank you", or deliver a simple nod when I hold the door open for them.

I know a lot of people that live in neighborhoods simply don't like to be bothered, but it's not like they are being asked to hop into 10-15 minute conversations. It's just speaking and acknowledging your fellow neighbor(s). Nothing wrong with a "Hi, how ya doin'?", a "howdy", a wave or a nod.

One of my cousins and her husband live in a town right outside of Charlotte, NC. Everybody keeps to themselves and will look at you like a weirdo if you dare speak to them. But I digress.

I wasn't annoyed, I was a bit surprised at the non responds. I'm not their next door peeps, so maybe they were just wary of a yellow guy walking a huge dog. My neighborhood is pretty open, everyone knows everyone else. I know pretty much everyone simply by walking my dog around so much. One day, they'll say hi.
15-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Depends what sort of muslim and where. I lived in the Netherlands and in some cities it would be a case of your muslim neighbours having a problem with you, a non believer. My brother lives in a muslim area of a Dutch city and is not made very welcome. he's had issues with his kids at school etc... He has no time for them any more and take things in his stride. When he has a BBQ in the summer he makes sure there's a nice smell of cooked pork wafting through the area...Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
15-01-2016, 11:38 AM
(15-01-2016 01:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No, it wouldn't bother me. I don't think it's fair to lump everyone into one category simply because of their religion. You are going to have extremists in every religion. Extremists are only a small sect and are not representative of the whole religion.

There is an Afghan restaurant that I go to quite frequently because they have the most amazing food. It is run by a nice family. I do notice when various things hit the news concerning Islam, they often have fewer customers. It has to be hard with others putting their preconceived notions on you and marking you as being "one of them" when all you are trying to do is make a living and raise your family just like everybody else.

You are right, it isn't fair. I'm not bothered per se, more like I'm just 'aware' that they're Muslims. For example, if I run into an Christian, I don't think, "Hey, he's a Christian." But if he's a Muslim, I would think in my head, "Yup, he's a Muslim." Something stupid like that.

As far as food, we have a couple shawarma places here. The owner looks Arab, Muslim or not, I don't know, but the food is pretty good.
15-01-2016, 11:41 AM
(15-01-2016 04:14 AM)Eva Wrote:  I have a few muslim neighbours and no they do not bother me and to be honest I don't really notice them, it's just people getting on with their daily lives. However there are now areas in my city which are predominantly muslim and that is a whole different thing. Not much assimilation to the host country going on there and there have been a fair few arrests connected to fundamentalism so it depends what you mean by neighbours.

Interesting you should mention certain areas of the city. My brother lives in Ottawa, he tells me there are Arab areas that other folks steer clear from.
15-01-2016, 11:41 AM
My stepfather is a muslim. So no. In my little neighborhood alone virtually every religion is represented. Even Santeria.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Living by anybody who regularly broadcasted their religion would bug me. Living by any fundies would scare me.

In college my neighbor, and a best friend of mine still, was/is Muslim. It never meant anything more to me than having a Christian neighbor/friend meant. Like stevil said, adults believing in magic is weird enough. I don't even bother myself with trying to label one type of magic belief as weirder than any other.

The fact that a tiny portion of Muslims have commited mass killings doesn't make me scared of Muslims. It makes me scared of fundamentalism/extremism.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
15-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Hmm.. so far responses from the atheists on this forum are overwhelmingly positive and reasonable.

How about the religious members here? Would a Muslim neighbor bother you guys?
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
15-01-2016, 11:46 AM
(15-01-2016 11:38 AM)xieulong Wrote:  For example, if I run into an Christian, I don't think, "Hey, he's a Christian." But if he's a Muslim, I would think in my head, "Yup, he's a Muslim."
You don't? Tongue

I think any time I learn someone's religion I take a quick mental snapshot of the moment.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.