Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 12:42 PM
RE: Would it concern you if your neighbor is a Muslim?
(15-01-2016 11:27 AM)xieulong Wrote:  I wasn't annoyed, I was a bit surprised at the non responds. I'm not their next door peeps, so maybe they were just wary of a yellow guy walking a huge dog. My neighborhood is pretty open, everyone knows everyone else. I know pretty much everyone simply by walking my dog around so much. One day, they'll say hi.
Some people just like privacy.

I come from the country originally, I'm not really that fussed about having neighbors living close by. I certainly don't want neighbors spying on me or gossiping.

If a person wants to be private then that is their prerogative. You don't need to insist they fit your mold of neighborly love. Can't you just respect them and leave them be?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
15-01-2016, 04:30 PM
My brother is Muslim (converted) and my sister-in-law is culturally Muslim. She can drink me under the table.

We rented our upstairs apartment to Laosian refugees when I was a kid. They were terrific people and made some wonderful food. I was sad when they decided to move to the city.

I visitted Tanzania a few years back and despite being a very poor country populated by Muslims, Christians and about a thousand different tribal cultures they all manage to get along surprisingly well. Perhaps we ought to be taking notes.

(15-01-2016 12:56 AM)xieulong Wrote:  I thought moving away just because your neighbors are Muslims would be a bit extreme.

No. That would be a lot extreme. Offer to help her pack and then go thank your new neighbors for helping to drive off the bigots.

BTW, they might not be responding to you because of your big dog. They are viewed as unclean by many Muslim cultures. Silly superstition I know but it's like going up to the new Jewish neighbors with a bag full of McBLTs. They're also unlikely to be familiar with dogs as pets and thus will be doubly intimidated by his size.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
15-01-2016, 04:55 PM
(15-01-2016 12:56 AM)xieulong Wrote:  While I was walking my dog earlier this week, I was joined by my neighbor from down the street. She is a Christian, more of a cultural Christian, not really devout. We usually talk about our dogs, work, and other mundane crap. On this walk, she voiced her concerns about her new next door neighbors. They are Muslims; Husband, wife, and 4 sons who are in their 20s or so. I've seen these people a couple times; I greeted them, but they didn't respond and kept to themselves. My neighbor said she feels very uncomfortable living next to them and she is thinking about selling her home and move.

I thought moving away just because your neighbors are Muslims would be a bit extreme.

I thought about it, would it bother me if my next door neighbors were Muslims? I would like to say that it wouldn't, but the fact that they're there would be somewhere in the back of my head. It wouldn't be enough for me to move away though. My next door neighbors are Christians, that fact did not bother me in the slightest. Why would Muslims bother me? It's totally irrational.

When people hear the word Christians, usually nothing happens, but when people hear the word Muslim or Islam, you can almost feel their assholes clench up a bit.

What about you guys/girls? Would it bother you?

NO. Not unless they are in the garage making pipe bombs and cleaning their Ak-47's. And, as long as they keep their religion to themselves. If They started making comments about how my daughter dressed or otherwise pushing their beliefs on us, then we'd have a problem.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
15-01-2016, 06:04 PM
I don't care as long as they're not Dionysians or Southern Baptist Apostolics.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
15-01-2016, 06:26 PM
(15-01-2016 06:04 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I don't care as long as they're not Dionysians or Southern Baptist Apostolics.
Danes. I hate Danes.
15-01-2016, 07:54 PM
(15-01-2016 12:56 AM)xieulong Wrote:  While I was walking my dog earlier this week, I was joined by my neighbor from down the street. She is a Christian, more of a cultural Christian, not really devout. We usually talk about our dogs, work, and other mundane crap. On this walk, she voiced her concerns about her new next door neighbors. They are Muslims; Husband, wife, and 4 sons who are in their 20s or so. I've seen these people a couple times; I greeted them, but they didn't respond and kept to themselves. My neighbor said she feels very uncomfortable living next to them and she is thinking about selling her home and move.

I thought moving away just because your neighbors are Muslims would be a bit extreme.

I thought about it, would it bother me if my next door neighbors were Muslims? I would like to say that it wouldn't, but the fact that they're there would be somewhere in the back of my head. It wouldn't be enough for me to move away though. My next door neighbors are Christians, that fact did not bother me in the slightest. Why would Muslims bother me? It's totally irrational.

When people hear the word Christians, usually nothing happens, but when people hear the word Muslim or Islam, you can almost feel their assholes clench up a bit.

What about you guys/girls? Would it bother you?
Muslims are America's new blacks apparently.

Even if your Muslim neighbors are terrorists, it's highly unlikely they will come at you. Their target is something more symbolic than the silly persons next door.
15-01-2016, 08:10 PM
(15-01-2016 07:54 PM)coyote Wrote:  Even if your Muslim neighbors are terrorists, it's highly unlikely they will come at you. Their target is something more symbolic than the silly persons next door.

We got MS-13 middle management in my neighborhood. They're not about to cause trouble in my hood. They live here.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-01-2016, 09:04 PM
I honestly wouldn't care. In reality, assuming we hadn't met and had the chance to get to know each other, I'd probably make them more nervous than the other way around. Hell I'd even be okay if they were actual terrorists. It would at least make for some interesting conversation in an otherwise boring neighborhood.

'Murican Canadian
15-01-2016, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 09:34 PM by jabeady.)
(15-01-2016 09:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I honestly wouldn't care. In reality, assuming we hadn't met and had the chance to get to know each other, I'd probably make them more nervous than the other way around.

*You* would make them nervous? I can only imagine what, say, Syrian refugees would make of me.

[Image: 6114f6ce894013ea6246d0391c010bda.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like jabeady's post
15-01-2016, 09:47 PM
(15-01-2016 09:30 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 09:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I honestly wouldn't care. In reality, assuming we hadn't met and had the chance to get to know each other, I'd probably make them more nervous than the other way around.

*You* would make them nervous? I can only imagine what, say, Syrian refugees would make of me.

[Image: 6114f6ce894013ea6246d0391c010bda.jpg]

Unfortunately I can't put the AK souvenir I disassembled and brought back from Iraq in a display case because it's prohibited in Canada Tongue I have to get by with stereotypical 'Murica bumper stickers.

'Murican Canadian