Would we be more advanced if the roman Empire never fell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2017, 04:44 AM
I was thinking About how much of today's stuff from bridges to the law Are based on the Roman do you think we would be more advanced if Rome never fell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2017, 04:47 AM
RE: Would we be more advanced if the roman Empire never fell
Of which Rome do you speak?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-01-2017, 04:57 AM
No not really, the barbarity of the dark ages was learned from the abuse of the prior polytheism of Rome.

I wouldn't focus too much on one religion, our species back then and long prior lived in very localized kingships that competed over land and resources. Loyalty and luck coming from the divine was a very common motif in most of antiquity. You can find that even in China, Asia, Japan, India ect ect.

Humans worldwide back when our oldest writings and first cities popped up, mistook fortune as having a divine magical source. Our species mortality rate was also much higher so safety in numbers and loyalty was much more a requirement than our modern west.

I think tribalism will always cause conflicts to greater or lesser degrees, and it still remains that nothing lasts forever in any case.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2017, 04:59 AM
Brian. I just read your first sentence.

I then stopped.

Please...

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
09-01-2017, 05:04 AM
I am talking about the Roman empire at its largest before the split of the east and west.
09-01-2017, 05:07 AM
Christian Rome? How so?

Banjo.
09-01-2017, 05:09 AM
(09-01-2017 04:59 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Brian. I just read your first sentence.

I then stopped.

Please...

If you have no idea what I am taking about, I would greatly guess that you might falsely think that magically somehow other religions have squeaky clean histories. Nope, sorry, there is no such thing as a perfect history with no conflicts or violence.

FYI the Greeks and Romans only hinted at modern government, but unfortunately that never took hold back then. Despite the idea of senates and representation, it was still under an immovable ruling family to which there was no power of impeachment, and back then, if you wanted to remove dictator, a family member or political rival would murder you.

I think there is far too much romance over the ancients as far as Greece and Rome. They certainly were by comparison prior to Christianity taking over, more open. But they still were family ruled and they still had a dominionist attitude. Caligula was a brutal asshole and had even his closest friends murdered. He stole an obelisk from Egypt as to which the Catholic Church, after Rome fell, adapted to their conquest of old polytheism, which still stands today in St Peter's square.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2017, 05:17 AM
(09-01-2017 04:44 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I was thinking About how much of today's stuff from bridges to the law Are based on the Roman do you think we would be more advanced if Rome never fell.

It's entirely possible. The converse is also possible. Some events, such as the industrial revolution arose from very unique circumstances that might not have had opportunity to develop in a surviving Roman Empire.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-01-2017, 05:20 AM
Brian.

Fuck. Just fuck.

You mention Gaius, of whom we know very little other than gossip spread after his death written by enemies of his family or those who lived many years later.

In fact it appears he was loved by his subjects.

We don't really know.

Banjo.
09-01-2017, 05:22 AM
To many variables to give meaningful answer. There is a reason for which historians leave alternative history to writers.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post