Would we be more advanced if the roman Empire never fell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2017, 06:08 AM
RE: Would we be more advanced if the roman Empire never fell
(09-01-2017 06:06 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 06:02 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  how it could be different is akin to divination.

Correct. Tyson was stupid to say what he said.
Don't know what Tyson said. We may play at what if but that's it. Playing.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2017, 06:13 AM
(09-01-2017 06:08 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 06:06 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Correct. Tyson was stupid to say what he said.
Don't know what Tyson said. We may play at what if but that's it. Playing.

Well I'd hoped that was the spirit of the thread. It seems that way from the thread title.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-01-2017, 06:16 AM
(09-01-2017 06:13 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 06:08 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Don't know what Tyson said. We may play at what if but that's it. Playing.

Well I'd hoped that was the spirit of the thread. It seems that way from the thread title.
I sometimes read alternative history. Most of the time it is simply stupid crying about how Poland could win it all, if only huge number of things would go in best way. So I don't play at what ifs, I just read and laugh at them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-01-2017, 06:17 AM
Dude, you're playing now.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
09-01-2017, 06:31 AM
(09-01-2017 06:02 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 05:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Indeed. Too many variable and permutations. But what about a world where the Archduke Ferdinand hadn't been assassinated by a Serbian 'freedom fighter' while his driver was trying to get their car restarted after stalling it because he was unfamiliar with Sarajevo and was trying to adapt to a change of plans necessitated by an earlier attempt that very day on the Archduke's life?

Basically, what if the Seminal Catastrophe had never happened? Our world would be vastly different. No war reparations, no foothold for fascism, no dismantling of the old hereditary monarchies, no fragmentation of the old empires, no Second World War, no Manhattan Project, no Cold War, no Space Race, no Perestroika and Glasnost, no War on Terrorism...

Fuck...

Still to many variables. WW I still could have happened, caused by another seemingly insignificant deed.

Without assasination our world could be different but that's all that we can say. Telling how it could be different is akin to divination.

It wasn't just the assassination. Even after that, the war came so close to being averted time and again, but at every point fate seemed to be set on catastrophe.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-01-2017, 06:37 AM
EK. In a game of what ifs, it's always what if?

I am not going to bother with those videos. I know about WWI and how Ferdinand was a tipping point and the arms race with battleships etc.

Banjo.
09-01-2017, 08:39 AM
(09-01-2017 06:17 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Dude, you're playing now.

Not really. I just explain why I don't see much sense in what if scenario.

(09-01-2017 06:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 06:02 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Still to many variables. WW I still could have happened, caused by another seemingly insignificant deed.

Without assasination our world could be different but that's all that we can say. Telling how it could be different is akin to divination.

It wasn't just the assassination. Even after that, the war came so close to being averted time and again, but at every point fate seemed to be set on catastrophe.

I know, but I wouldn't call it fate. Rather complex net of misunderstandings, nationalistic posturing and honor, which still could be averted. Barbara Tuchman wrote good piece about it - The Guns of August.

My point is that war could happen even without assassination and we can't really go far with what if's. Countless things could happen but for me that is all that could be said with certainty.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-01-2017, 02:14 PM
(09-01-2017 04:44 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I was thinking About how much of today's stuff from bridges to the law Are based on the Roman do you think we would be more advanced if Rome never fell.

Star Trek, the original series had an episode about this Bread and Circuses.

It's almost impossible to tell, the Roman Catholic church may have been the primary religion of the planet. Rome might have brutally suppressed people opposed to slavery.

There's always going to be good and bad things that would come about when things change from how they are.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Would we be more advanced if the roman Empire never fell
What if the Third Reich had never fell? We would have more advanced Volkswagens than we do now. And no dieselgate.
09-01-2017, 05:28 PM
(09-01-2017 05:23 AM)ImFred Wrote:  We would be 700 years ahead which would mean we would have gone extinct 600 years ago.

We might just as well be six hundred years behind. I might have been killed by a spear or become a slave. At least no global warming.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg