Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed
Now we've all had this sprung on us at one point in time. It just happened to me for the second time by a friend of mine during a cookout. He simply didn't know what atheism was and was asking about it. Very civil and more just looking for information and not preaching which made for a decent conversation. At the end he asked me this hypothetical, " If the God of the bible and of Abraham came down and showed everyone that he is real and true would you accept him?"

Now before when I had been asked this question years ago I think I was answering yes the wrong thing. Like we all know atheism is just the disbelief in any deity. So this question has nothing to do with atheism rather if you accept what he does and his way of doing things.

So going back to the question that was presented " If the God of the bible and of Abraham came down and showed everyone that he is real and true would you accept him?" I immediately was prompted to have him explain what he meant by accept him. He responded "That you will bow and recognize that he is the ultimate authority." My answer to this was a definite no.

He was a bit shocked and went on to try and say that I had authority issues to which I had to interrupt and explain why I wouldn't accept him. First off this does not explain things for all atheist because the only thing we all share is the lack in the belief nothing more.

Me: If you read your bible...wait have you actually read your bible cover to cover?

Him: well you can't read the bible just cover to cover....

Me: you didn't answer the question.

Him: No I haven't read the entire thing. (of course not)

Me: well have you read through any of the old testament at all?

Him: Yes I have.

Me: Ok. How do you feel about being able to enslave another group of people?

Him: Back then it was not the same thing as slaves are now.

Me: No that was not the question>

Him: No I don't think that's appropriate.

Me: In any sense correct?

Him: Well......I don't know.

Me: Let me explain something to you. Any self respecting person with a common understanding of not wanting to cause harm to a person would have a problem being ok with this. You obviously see something wrong with this but for some reason you want to try and justify it. All for the love of some deity. Now answer me this how come your God has no problem ok'ing slavery but for some reason you have to question it? If you are with God shouldn't you be saying that it is perfectly ok with having slaves?

Him: I don't know.

I think at this point he was having some thoughts on some things so I backed off and told him to go read through Leviticus and the rest of the bible because it's riddled with slavery.

Now to kind of get back to accepting God, I don't think I could accept someone who has done some of the most sickening things I've ever heard of. Why would any person just accept these thing because the deity told you was ok? Not one question at all? And what kind of God loves those who simply do things without question and condemn those who think and question before acting? Why would I want to be associated with something like that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like MrKrispy601's post
19-04-2015, 08:55 AM
RE: Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed
Accept him as an existing being? Yes. To do otherwise would be engaging in denialism, which is just a type of insanity. Accept him as a god? Only if I were brainwashed.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
19-04-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 09:03 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(19-04-2015 08:54 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Now we've all had this sprung on us at one point in time. It just happened to me for the second time by a friend of mine during a cookout. He simply didn't know what atheism was and was asking about it. Very civil and more just looking for information and not preaching which made for a decent conversation. At the end he asked me this hypothetical, " If the God of the bible and of Abraham came down and showed everyone that he is real and true would you accept him?"

Now before when I had been asked this question years ago I think I was answering yes the wrong thing. Like we all know atheism is just the disbelief in any deity. So this question has nothing to do with atheism rather if you accept what he does and his way of doing things.

So going back to the question that was presented " If the God of the bible and of Abraham came down and showed everyone that he is real and true would you accept him?" I immediately was prompted to have him explain what he meant by accept him. He responded "That you will bow and recognize that he is the ultimate authority." My answer to this was a definite no.

He was a bit shocked and went on to try and say that I had authority issues to which I had to interrupt and explain why I wouldn't accept him. First off this does not explain things for all atheist because the only thing we all share is the lack in the belief nothing more.

Me: If you read your bible...wait have you actually read your bible cover to cover?

Him: well you can't read the bible just cover to cover....

Me: you didn't answer the question.

Him: No I haven't read the entire thing. (of course not)

Me: well have you read through any of the old testament at all?

Him: Yes I have.

Me: Ok. How do you feel about being able to enslave another group of people?

Him: Back then it was not the same thing as slaves are now.

Me: No that was not the question>

Him: No I don't think that's appropriate.

Me: In any sense correct?

Him: Well......I don't know.

Me: Let me explain something to you. Any self respecting person with a common understanding of not wanting to cause harm to a person would have a problem being ok with this. You obviously see something wrong with this but for some reason you want to try and justify it. All for the love of some deity. Now answer me this how come your God has no problem ok'ing slavery but for some reason you have to question it? If you are with God shouldn't you be saying that it is perfectly ok with having slaves?

Him: I don't know.

I think at this point he was having some thoughts on some things so I backed off and told him to go read through Leviticus and the rest of the bible because it's riddled with slavery.

Now to kind of get back to accepting God, I don't think I could accept someone who has done some of the most sickening things I've ever heard of. Why would any person just accept these thing because the deity told you was ok? Not one question at all? And what kind of God loves those who simply do things without question and condemn those who think and question before acting? Why would I want to be associated with something like that?

It always amuses me how believers answer the slave problem with, "it was a different time then"...oh so god hadnt evolved to the point yet to realize at the time that one group of his creations, enslaving another group of his creations is wrong....but wait...isn't he all knowing? knows the past, present and future?

It is almost as if HUMANS at the time made up the ten commandments, because they of course were of the time, and at the time, slavery was part of the culture...so was rape...and child marriage (still is in some parts of the world sadly...and those parts of the world have what common factors? ignorance, lack of education and a huge acceptance of religion hmmm). So it seems logical that the HUMANS that made up this god concept and made up his alleged ten commandments would not include rape and slavery as they were okay with that, oh but don't covet thy neighbor's wife.....

it is their inability to apply basic reasoning to how humans act, think and behave which exposes all of this BS for what it is ....BS

But sure, to answer the subject line of the OP. Yes, I suppose if I wasn't suffering from some type of emotional/mental degradation, or taking some really good drugs and the sky opened up and HE appeared and said "Fools! I am real, drop and kneel" and a wave of power swept across the world, and ALL saw the same thing...then yeah, hail god. I won't hold my breath though since the concept of god was created by man, in the image of man, and as such the odds of "him" really existing is about um....zero.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
19-04-2015, 09:02 AM
That's presentism, man. If we start counting from about 12,000 years ago for the dawn of civilization with agriculture, for the vast majority of time slavery was status quo. Tongue

Anywho, fuck no. I've met god, he doesn't exist. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-04-2015, 09:09 AM
If the Abrahamic god was to come down to earth and demonstrate his existance, I would acknowledge that he exists, but I wouldn't worship him.
As Mark Twain said, "Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company"!

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 3 users Like Russ's post
19-04-2015, 09:14 AM
If the god of the Bible came down and presented himself as he is in the Bible, I'd tell him to take his sick, murdering, psychopathic self and shove himself where the sun don't shine.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-04-2015, 09:19 AM
How would I know that he really is who he claims he is? Consider

On his word...that hasn't worked too well thus far. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Let's see, ultimate authority on bullshit ....check
Ultimate authority on deception..... check
Ultimate authority on immoral behavior .... check

Created evil
Created diseases
Created survival of one species through the killing and consumption of another species.

If ever a god like this existed, I would be morally obligated to destroy it.

But since it only exists in the minds of those who are so gullible to believe in such bullshit, all I can do is speak rationally and hope the rational part of your brain hasn't completely wasted away.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
19-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Better reply ---

And if "god" DOESN'T show up in person -- are you going to become an atheist?????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-04-2015, 10:41 AM
(19-04-2015 09:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Anywho, fuck no. I've met god, he doesn't exist. Wink

I AM. ... goddammit

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post