Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2015, 12:04 AM
RE: Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed
(22-04-2015 11:48 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Of course not.

1. It could be an alien or extra dimensional being - Any sufficiently high level of technology is indistinguishable from magic.

2. A elaborate hoax

3. I could be drugged

4. My senses cannot be trusted.

5. Something else.

Therefor, even if god "revealed" himself. I still wouldn't believe it because god did not reveal himself because he does not exist and I cannot explain away something I don't know or cannot explain by inserting "deity" into it.

Have you considered the possibility that your objection springs from the linguistic rather than the theological?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2015, 12:07 AM
(22-04-2015 10:40 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 10:26 PM)xieulong Wrote:  If God exist and the accounts of his character in the bible are correct, he does not deserve to be worshiped. How the hell do you have infinite power and knowledge and fuck up over and over? The guy's a fucking moron.

What is infinite power and what makes you think Jehovah God of the Bible possesses it? How has he allegedly fucked up?

(22-04-2015 10:26 PM)xieulong Wrote:  I suppose most people would have no choice, damm... worship or burn forever. On the other hand, the big moron is probably too severely incompetent to enforce his own rules, given his track record.

There is no literal burning forever, the fire is symbolic for everlasting destruction. Hell is a pagan teaching unsupported by scripture. If you like you can refer to my article on the subject here and we can discuss it further.

(22-04-2015 10:26 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Can you imagine having to deal with the moron all day, everyday, for eternity? Always there, watching you while he talks about himself. I'd be like, "Fuck off God! Cant you give me just 5 fucking minutes to rub one out?" I can see some may choose to burn instead.

You think that, we men of science, in our infinitely sophomoric knowledge of the universe is impressive but if the creator of that universe and everything were near you he would be a moron not worth listening to?

I guess that is your prerogative, but it seems far too often made out of almost complete ignorance. I know when I was an atheist for 27 years it was.

Ahh.. so your version of God does not have infinite power and knowledge, eh? Let's go with your version of God then. I can now definitively say that I will NOT worship your weak ass god, I will kill it. Let me quote a real life great man, "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"

No literal burning forever? That's even better. With out that threat there's zero reason for me to worship your weak ass god out of fear. Though other christians will disagree with you. I don't know which version of the bible you're reading and I really don't give a rat's ass. I don't know which denomination you're a part of, again I don't give a shit.

Yes, knowledge gained about the universe so far, by men of science are much more interesting and impressive than the moronic god of scriptures. Speaking of scriptures, how much have you actually read? There isn't anything impressive in there, just barbaric-primitive-childish wishful thinking.

You were an atheist for 27 years? Then you found bullshit, good for you, buddy.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
23-04-2015, 12:08 AM
(22-04-2015 11:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:55 PM)pablo Wrote:  What about Bob?

Bob is God. Hail to the Bob.

And his pal Neil. Tongue
23-04-2015, 01:02 AM
(23-04-2015 12:07 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Ahh.. so your version of God does not have infinite power and knowledge, eh? Let's go with your version of God then. I can now definitively say that I will NOT worship your weak ass god, I will kill it. Let me quote a real life great man, "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"

I only asked you what those things meant to you. And it doesn't bleed.

(23-04-2015 12:07 AM)xieulong Wrote:  No literal burning forever? That's even better. With out that threat there's zero reason for me to worship your weak ass god out of fear.

Er, well there is everlasting life opposed to everlasting destruction. No sickness, disease, growing old etc.

(23-04-2015 12:07 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Though other christians will disagree with you. I don't know which version of the bible you're reading and I really don't give a rat's ass. I don't know which denomination you're a part of, again I don't give a shit.

YEAH! Any Bible, no denomination and the history of the Christian adoption of the pagan hell is pretty well documented.

(23-04-2015 12:07 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Yes, knowledge gained about the universe so far, by men of science are much more interesting and impressive than the moronic god of scriptures. Speaking of scriptures, how much have you actually read?

How much? All of it, many times in five different translations.

(23-04-2015 12:07 AM)xieulong Wrote:  There isn't anything impressive in there, just barbaric-primitive-childish wishful thinking.

How much have you read?

(23-04-2015 12:07 AM)xieulong Wrote:  You were an atheist for 27 years? Then you found bullshit, good for you, buddy.

Well, the bullshit I found was the modern day Christianity, with all of its hypocrisy, pagan mythology, and misrepresentation of the Bible. I also learned to set that aside for what it was and learn what the real Bible says.
23-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Quote:All of it, many times in five different translations.

Don't you mean interpretations?
It seems everyone has their own version of what the bible means. Just keep cranking on that square peg until it fits in your round hole.
23-04-2015, 01:11 AM
(22-04-2015 11:54 PM)pablo Wrote:  By "harmonious throughout " do you mean it never contradicts itself?

No. The Bible is fallible, as an imperfect translation of the perfect word of Jehovah God. The harmoniousness throughout is the means by which this can be tested. If Moses says there was a canopy of water around the Earth, and then there was a flood, and Peter, thousands of years later says this canopy was gone after the flood, that is harmonious. If, on the other hand one portion of it says the soul dies and the other seems to say the contrary then there is something wrong. Further investigation is needed.

(22-04-2015 11:54 PM)pablo Wrote:  I would never describe being late as a sin.
Why do you believe that something as minor as being late, or not showing up, is grounds for your god to punish you for eternity?

No, but to sin doesn't necessarily mean to be deserving of everlasting punishment. Since we all sin, in effect, and not all of us will be subject to everlasting punishment that much is obvious. The only people or beings that will be punished everlasting are those who don't want to fit harmoniously into Jehovah God's system, or world. That, as foretold to Adam, leads to destruction and he won't have those people fucking it up for everyone else.

(22-04-2015 11:54 PM)pablo Wrote:  You mention Adam (a somehow magically created being) as the reason for original sin. In the next sentence you write; "It isn't a supernatural concept."
How else do you explain Adam?

Adam was a man. He wasn't supernatural.
23-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Your evasion is remarkable.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
23-04-2015, 01:17 AM
(23-04-2015 01:11 AM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:All of it, many times in five different translations.

Don't you mean interpretations?
It seems everyone has their own version of what the bible means. Just keep cranking on that square peg until it fits in your round hole.

No. You can't do that. You can try and you might be able to fool yourself and others, but you can't change the Bible's meaning. You can misinterpret, misrepresent, get it wrong, honestly or intentionally for your own good, but you can't change what it says. It's too well established.

By translations I meant KJV, NWT, CEV, NKJV, NIV, etc. There are two types of Bibles, the translation, which supposedly adheres to a strictly linguistic translation of the original language, and the version, which takes, to a greater or lesser extent, creative liberties. One adheres to a strict literal translation and the other might be more - poetic is the right word? The KJV, for example, even for it's time, is crazy fucked up, but, one can still get all they need from it.
23-04-2015, 01:18 AM
(23-04-2015 01:15 AM)pablo Wrote:  Your evasion is remarkable.

Explain, please? I haven't evaded anything.
23-04-2015, 01:25 AM
I'll pick this up again tomorrow, I'm going to bed.
There's too much in your last two posts to cover quickly.