Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed
I agree with OddGamer on this question. I would probably both acknowledge, accept, and worship this being out of fear alone. It's not like we can revolt against it because, if the god in question is the omnipotent and omniscient god concept we are familiar with, then it wouldn't make any sense to be rebellious IF we knew it were an actual being that really exists. If this god can do absolutely anything it wants to do to me, then I would have no choice but to worship it.

And yeah, even thought it would be an abusive being, I would still try to stay on its good side. But luckily, a being like that most likely doesn't really exist, so we're all good Smile

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Helen_Damnation's post
20-04-2015, 07:20 PM
(20-04-2015 07:03 PM)Helen_Damnation Wrote:  I agree with OddGamer on this question. I would probably both acknowledge, accept, and worship this being out of fear alone. It's not like we can revolt against it because, if the god in question is the omnipotent and omniscient god concept we are familiar with, then it wouldn't make any sense to be rebellious IF we knew it were an actual being that really exists. If this god can do absolutely anything it wants to do to me, then I would have no choice but to worship it.

And yeah, even thought it would be an abusive being, I would still try to stay on its good side. But luckily, a being like that most likely doesn't really exist, so we're all good Smile

I will never accept that anything has dominion over me.
There is no amount of power that can alter my will.

As I've said before, when the universe changes to allow a mind to alter it, then my mind will also be right there to also make alterations.

If a god should exist in a universe, then I will also be a god in that universe.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-04-2015, 08:20 PM
No I would not. If a god exists, that god is an evil god. Any god that would sit back and allow terrible things to happen to innocent people does not deserve worship. The whole "everything that happens is part of gods big plan" is BS. What sick plan would allow babies(or anyone) to die of cancer? Or children(or anyone as well)to be raped? There would be no justification of that if such a god were to exist.

I once got into an argument with a Christian over that matter. His "defense" was that since I did not get raped, that his god doesn't always allow it. Uhh, allowing it once is enough in my book, lol.
[+] 1 user Likes raininghostility's post
20-04-2015, 08:50 PM
(19-04-2015 09:00 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  It always amuses me how believers answer the slave problem with, "it was a different time then"...oh so god hadn't evolved to the point yet to realize at the time that one group of his creations, enslaving another group of his creations is wrong....but wait...isn't he all knowing? knows the past, present and future?
Or to put it another way, it always amuses me that the alleged Word of God invariably leads from behind with its ideas and social prescriptions and proscriptions. Just like you'd expect if it was written by ancient goatherds. Just the opposite of what you would expect if it were written by the benevolent creator and ruler of heaven and earth.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
20-04-2015, 08:57 PM
(19-04-2015 09:09 AM)Russ Wrote:  If the Abrahamic god was to come down to earth and demonstrate his existence, I would acknowledge that he exists, but I wouldn't worship him.
As Mark Twain said, "Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company"!
Pretty much, although this answer sounds flip to many theists and plays to their stereotypes of atheism.

I would give god a chance to give an account of himself. To explain how he dictated his word to various people and they screwed it up and he's been away for a couple thousand years playing pinochle with Gabriel and look at the mess he's come back to. His son tried to intervene in human affairs and messed everything up with his newfangled ideas of new covenants. He's really sorry and he'll be on Oprah tomorrow setting the record straight.

And then I would listen to what he had to say. And if his actual morality were better than mine I might subscribe to it. But more likely he would just reinstitute the requirement to sacrifice bulls and goats to appease him and I would just go into hiding until he wandered off to play pinochle again.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
20-04-2015, 11:13 PM
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law

"Any being in possession of such technology is indistinguishable from a god." -- f stop's corollary

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
21-04-2015, 03:21 AM
(20-04-2015 07:20 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I will never accept that anything has dominion over me.
There is no amount of power that can alter my will.

From mine it has nothing to do with altering will. This is about altering action. I would, given sufficient evidence, worship god out of fear. This means I would do whatever commanded (I'd like clarification on this since the bible contradicts itself, should I gather with others to pray or not?) simply to avoid hell. I wouldn't like him, I would be unhappy about his morality, but I would recognize I lack the power to do anything about it.

I find it interesting how many of us have said no way to worship, standing up against such a being. I honestly wonder how much truth there is to it. We have examples around the world like North Korea and other brutal regimes that most people don't stand up against evil authorities, even when there is some possibility they might win. Against a god-like being we lose, every time. And loss means an eternity of torture. Torture iss ineffective at getting truth because people will tell you what they think you want to hear, but most people will spill the beans if they have them. The idea of going to a place that makes Guantanamo Bay look like a holiday resort for fun... well, I know that terrifies me and should terrify anyone sensible. And unlike GB, there's no end to hell. So I don't care how evil the entity is, if it's a choice between taking a meaningless, pointless, futile stand against a being that will forever be beyond the power of all of humanity to destroy and then being tortured forever, or becoming evil myself to avoid that... I'm just not principled enough to avoid being that. One thing I wouldn't do is have kids. I wouldn't subject anyone else to this. ... Well, unless commanded to have kids.

Basically it comes down to the old saying. Good people do good things, bad people do bad things, but getting good people to do bad things takes religion.
21-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Quote:I find it interesting how many of us have said no way to worship, standing up against such a being. I honestly wonder how much truth there is to it. We have examples around the world like North Korea and other brutal regimes that most people don't stand up against evil authorities, even when there is some possibility they might win.
They may not consider their regime evil. Indoctrination and propagana exists for a reason. As to possibility of winnig it is extremely small if not nonexistent, totalitarian states know how discourage peoples from rising against them. Also how winning would look in the context of North Korea?

Quote:So I don't care how evil the entity is, if it's a choice between taking a meaningless, pointless, futile stand against a being that will forever be beyond the power of all of humanity to destroy and then being tortured forever, or becoming evil myself to avoid that... I'm just not principled enough to avoid being that.
If god would be tyrant like in Old Testament what guarantee would you have that he do not condemn you to eternal torment simply because he can, regardless of your worship? In that case I think it is better to not bow before tyrant wishes, eternal suffering could await you regardless of your choices, but your conscience would be clear.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-04-2015, 08:11 AM
I highly doubt that if any of you were faced with a god that would kill you or give you eternal torture you would be denying giving it whatever it wants. I could be wrong. But I don't see you all being a group of heroes.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-04-2015, 08:15 AM
(21-04-2015 08:11 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I highly doubt that if any of you were faced with a god that would kill you or give you eternal torture you would be denying giving it whatever it wants. I could be wrong. But I don't see you all being a group of heroes.

My only allegiance is to my own standard of morality. Worshiping a creature like that, under those conditions, would violate every principle I have. I'd rather burn.
I don't deny that, given enough time in Hell, I'd most likely (definitely?) change my mind. However, that falls under the "brainwashing" category I mentioned in my first reply.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?