Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 08:17 AM
RE: Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed
(20-04-2015 08:50 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 09:00 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  It always amuses me how believers answer the slave problem with, "it was a different time then"...oh so god hadn't evolved to the point yet to realize at the time that one group of his creations, enslaving another group of his creations is wrong....but wait...isn't he all knowing? knows the past, present and future?
Or to put it another way, it always amuses me that the alleged Word of God invariably leads from behind with its ideas and social prescriptions and proscriptions. Just like you'd expect if it was written by ancient goatherds. Just the opposite of what you would expect if it were written by the benevolent creator and ruler of heaven and earth.

Exactly. A point many miss...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 10:06 AM
The question itself is a waters test; how far must one go to manipulate? It's a bottom line thing.

What will it take for you to participate? YOUR participation is VALUE... it pulls in others beyond you.
Participation is investment... YOUR investment. Your investment helps you to think about YOU... when in fact ...it is all about me.

Line forms at the right.
Kneel before Zod.
Have a nice day. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-04-2015, 10:29 AM
(21-04-2015 08:15 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 08:11 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I highly doubt that if any of you were faced with a god that would kill you or give you eternal torture you would be denying giving it whatever it wants. I could be wrong. But I don't see you all being a group of heroes.

My only allegiance is to my own standard of morality. Worshiping a creature like that, under those conditions, would violate every principle I have. I'd rather burn.
I don't deny that, given enough time in Hell, I'd most likely (definitely?) change my mind. However, that falls under the "brainwashing" category I mentioned in my first reply.
I find that fairly unintelligent...only in the sense that self/family preservation is logically the highest priority. If somebody puts a gun to my head and says, "say you love god or die." I will praise the lord. A suicidal stand for your own principles makes no sense to me. Especially if opposing an all mighty power.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-04-2015, 01:43 PM
(21-04-2015 10:29 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 08:15 AM)One Above All Wrote:  My only allegiance is to my own standard of morality. Worshiping a creature like that, under those conditions, would violate every principle I have. I'd rather burn.
I don't deny that, given enough time in Hell, I'd most likely (definitely?) change my mind. However, that falls under the "brainwashing" category I mentioned in my first reply.
I find that fairly unintelligent...only in the sense that self/family preservation is logically the highest priority. If somebody puts a gun to my head and says, "say you love god or die." I will praise the lord. A suicidal stand for your own principles makes no sense to me. Especially if opposing an all mighty power.

That may be logical to you, but not to me. Logic isn't an absolute perspective.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
22-04-2015, 10:52 AM
The question of would the unbeliever become a believer if they were confronted directly by that which they don't believe exists is an interesting one. It is basically the position of the believer in Jehovah God of the Bible to present the case as best they can for the unbeliever to make an informed decision. The question addresses the issue before Adam, namely, the acceptance or denial of the sovereignty of Jehovah God.

Knowing that Jehovah exists is only the first step, for as it is written, "The demons know and yet shudder." Not all of those accepting the existence of God would accept his sovereignty as Creator.

I don't really relate to the idea that slavery is directly related to this question in the sense that it seems somewhat ironic. At the very least it seems an emotional reaction to a social issue in a very general application.

God didn't develop the concept of slavery, mankind did. God, having given mankind the freedom to do this of their own accord through legislation after the fact. In other words, put simply, God said you want to have slaves, then here are the laws regarding how to do this.

The acceptance of the Creator's sovereignty could be considered to be in question for having allegedly given mankind the right to practice slavery as it was then, under the Mosaic Law.

That form of slavery was, without a doubt, different than the most recent cases in our modern history. Slavery in the form as presented in Europe and The United States Of America would have been punishable by death.

It seems as illogical to judge ancient tenants as presented in the Bible for the objection of slavery as it would be to do the same with the political structures of those times, i.e. democracy or republic.

Pathway Machine | Bible Topics: Slavery
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2015, 11:07 AM
(22-04-2015 10:52 AM)The Theist Wrote:  The question of would the unbeliever become a believer if they were confronted directly by that which they don't believe exists is an interesting one. It is basically the position of the believer in Jehovah God of the Bible to present the case as best they can for the unbeliever to make an informed decision. The question addresses the issue before Adam, namely, the acceptance or denial of the sovereignty of Jehovah God.

Knowing that Jehovah exists is only the first step, for as it is written, "The demons know and yet shudder." Not all of those accepting the existence of God would accept his sovereignty as Creator.
Would you accept Krishna if he showed everyone he existed?

22-04-2015, 11:18 AM
(22-04-2015 11:07 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Would you accept Krishna if he showed everyone he existed?

Accept him as what? A god? I already would accept that whether he existed or not. Perhaps if there were a specific claim that Krishna were making the reaction would differ.
22-04-2015, 11:20 AM
If Yahweh were to prove he existed, I would accept that he exists.

And I would not worship him.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
22-04-2015, 11:33 AM
(22-04-2015 10:52 AM)The Theist Wrote:  It seems as illogical to judge ancient tenants as presented in the Bible ...

*tenets

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
22-04-2015, 11:40 AM
(22-04-2015 11:18 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:07 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Would you accept Krishna if he showed everyone he existed?

Accept him as what? A god? I already would accept that whether he existed or not. Perhaps if there were a specific claim that Krishna were making the reaction would differ.
Would you accept that Krishna is the supreme god?