Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2015, 08:39 PM
RE: Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed
(22-04-2015 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:44 AM)The Theist Wrote:  The angels were created and graduated to maturity without having sinned. They are able to see the wisdom in their Creator's sovereignty whereas the human has not.

You mean like the angel Lucifer?

The Hebrew word translated lucifer is hehlel, meaning "shining one," the Greek, from the Septuagint, is ho heosphoros, meaning "bringer of dawn," the Latin, from the Vulgate, is lucifer, meaning "light bearer."

During certain parts of the year a bright light appears in the sky just before dawn, such as Venus. Seeing it would be an indication of a new day. For this reason where Lucifer appears (Isaiah 14:12) many translations will render it "day star," or "morning star."

There, it is used in application, not to Satan, but to Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonian Dynasty (Isaiah 14:4) for this reason. Babylon would soon attack and destroy Jerusalem and put an end to the earthly Kingdom of Jehovah God as represented by their King, Jehoiachin. The next King would be his descendent, Jesus Christ.

The new dawn or figurative new day was a period of time known as "The age of the gentile."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2015, 08:41 PM
(22-04-2015 05:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Even a parent has to earn and retain respect. Some don't.

So if a god showed up and proved him/herself to be a god the worship, respect, etc. still needs to earned.

I don't agree. Parents are given the position of authority over their child, because that is the most sensible way. Unfortunately some parents fuck that up, but Creating life, the universe and everything, it would seem to me, be deserving of respect.
22-04-2015, 08:42 PM
(22-04-2015 08:37 PM)The Theist Wrote:  What opportunity? To know God? He has. You reject it just as Satan and Adam did.

Au contraire mon ami, I embrace Him as they did. It is you who reject Him. And He is not pleased with you. Not happy at all.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2015, 08:51 PM
(22-04-2015 08:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 08:37 PM)The Theist Wrote:  What opportunity? To know God? He has. You reject it just as Satan and Adam did.

Au contraire mon ami, I embrace Him as they did. It is you who reject Him. And He is not pleased with you. Not happy at all.

I like to think of it like this, as much as my real name, David, can be interpreted as "beloved of God" not unlike the king of Old, I'm a bit of a stupid prick. So. I hope he grants me an undeserved kindness.
22-04-2015, 08:59 PM
(22-04-2015 08:51 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 08:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Au contraire mon ami, I embrace Him as they did. It is you who reject Him. And He is not pleased with you. Not happy at all.

I like to think of it like this, as much as my real name, David, can be interpreted as "beloved of God" not unlike the king of Old, I'm a bit of a stupid prick. So. I hope he grants me an undeserved kindness.

How would god not know your real self?
Why would he break the rules just for you?
22-04-2015, 09:05 PM
(22-04-2015 08:59 PM)pablo Wrote:  How would god not know your real self?

I have no doubt he does.

(22-04-2015 08:59 PM)pablo Wrote:  Why would he break the rules just for you?

I don't subscribe to the false sense of moral superiority that most alleged Christians subscribe to. I think that the rules, as you say, indicate we are all pretty much messed up. Who is without sin? The Christians would have you think they are good, you would think they didn't even need a savior.
[+] 1 user Likes The Theist's post
22-04-2015, 09:11 PM
(22-04-2015 09:05 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 08:59 PM)pablo Wrote:  How would god not know your real self?

I have no doubt he does.

(22-04-2015 08:59 PM)pablo Wrote:  Why would he break the rules just for you?

I don't subscribe to the false sense of moral superiority that most alleged Christians subscribe to. I think that the rules, as you say, indicate we are all pretty much messed up. Who is without sin? The Christians would have you think they are good, you would think they didn't even need a savior.

Why would you even write this then?

Quote:I like to think of it like this, as much as my real name, David, can be interpreted as "beloved of God" not unlike the king of Old, I'm a bit of a stupid prick. So. I hope he grants me an undeserved kindness.
22-04-2015, 09:13 PM
(22-04-2015 09:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 09:05 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I have no doubt he does.

Why would you even write this then?

Quote:I like to think of it like this, as much as my real name, David, can be interpreted as "beloved of God" not unlike the king of Old, I'm a bit of a stupid prick. So. I hope he grants me an undeserved kindness.

Why wouldn't I?
22-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Which is it that you "think"?
Statement #1 or statement #2?
22-04-2015, 09:42 PM
(22-04-2015 09:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  Which is it that you "think"?
Statement #1 or statement #2?

I don't understand the objection you have.

Summing up Statement #1. People inherit sin.

Summing up Statement #2. I'm a person.