Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2015, 11:38 PM
RE: Would you accept God if he showed everyone he existed
(22-04-2015 08:51 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I like to think of it like this, as much as my real name, David, can be interpreted as "beloved of God" not unlike the king of Old, ...

"Bob" is favored over "David". Not your fault.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2015, 11:40 PM
(22-04-2015 11:12 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:05 PM)The Theist Wrote:  No explanation? I don't think so. It rests on an accurate knowledge of the Bible.

The bible is true because it says it's true?
Accurate knowledge of fairytales doesn't convince me of anything.

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but sin is a Bible teaching, so what the Bible says about sin is what the Bible says about sin. The Bible, you know, isn't just a reference book, like a science text book of the current curriculum, its a collection of books by over 40 writers over a period of thousands of years, and harmonious throughout.

Sin means to transgress the standard set by someone, anyone. If your spouse or partner says be at a certain place at 7 am and you are not there, that is a sin against them. If your parent, or boss, or parole officer says be here at such and such a time and you aren't there, that is sin. In the case of "original sin" it was Adam's sin against Jehovah.

It isn't a supernatural concept.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2015, 11:41 PM
(22-04-2015 11:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 08:51 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I like to think of it like this, as much as my real name, David, can be interpreted as "beloved of God" not unlike the king of Old, ...

Bob . . . Bob . . . Bob. Why Bob?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Theist's post
22-04-2015, 11:42 PM
(22-04-2015 11:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Here I am Dragging this "Paul" moniker around. Dodgy
22-04-2015, 11:46 PM
(22-04-2015 11:41 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Bob" is favored over "David". Not your fault.

Bob . . . Bob . . . Bob. Why Bob?

Where the fuck's Bob? ... Bob? Paging Bpb.

#sigh
22-04-2015, 11:48 PM
Of course not.

1. It could be an alien or extra dimensional being - Any sufficiently high level of technology is indistinguishable from magic.

2. A elaborate hoax

3. I could be drugged

4. My senses cannot be trusted.

5. Something else.

Therefor, even if god "revealed" himself. I still wouldn't believe it because god did not reveal himself because he does not exist and I cannot explain away something I don't know or cannot explain by inserting "deity" into it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
22-04-2015, 11:54 PM
(22-04-2015 11:40 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:12 PM)pablo Wrote:  The bible is true because it says it's true?

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but sin is a Bible teaching, so what the Bible says about sin is what the Bible says about sin. The Bible, you know, isn't just a reference book, like a science text book of the current curriculum, its a collection of books by over 40 writers over a period of thousands of years, and harmonious throughout.

Sin means to transgress the standard set by someone, anyone. If your spouse or partner says be at a certain place at 7 am and you are not there, that is a sin against them. If your parent, or boss, or parole officer says be here at such and such a time and you aren't there, that is sin. In the case of "original sin" it was Adam's sin against Jehovah.

So being 5 minutes late implies the need to burn forever?

Sin as in not meeting the mark may be all that it is, but it's used as justification for the entire edifice - the idea is that you sin and God's *totally* justified in doing nasty things to you. Not just justified but he loves you so much that instead of torturing *you* he'll send his son to get tortured instead - not possible to *not* torture you, you see... But now you owe the son. Oh boy you owe him big time.

The priest will be coming by shortly to collect. Pay him off for the rest of your life and *if* you don't put a foot wrong, *if* you correctly follow the precepts of this ridiculous book of nonsense I am going to give you, then *maybe* God will let you off the hook and you get to go to this stupid eternal existence where you play songs on a harp and sing all about how fucken wonderful this murderous arsehole is.

I'll pass Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-04-2015, 11:54 PM
(22-04-2015 11:40 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:12 PM)pablo Wrote:  The bible is true because it says it's true?

By "harmonious throughout " do you mean it never contradicts itself?

I would never describe being late as a sin.
Why do you believe that something as minor as being late, or not showing up, is grounds for your god to punish you for eternity?

You mention Adam (a somehow magically created being) as the reason for original sin. In the next sentence you write; "It isn't a supernatural concept."
How else do you explain Adam?
22-04-2015, 11:55 PM
(22-04-2015 11:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:41 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Bob . . . Bob . . . Bob. Why Bob?

Where the fuck's Bob? ... Bob? Paging Bpb.

What about Bob?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
22-04-2015, 11:58 PM
(22-04-2015 11:55 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 11:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Where the fuck's Bob? ... Bob? Paging Bpb.

What about Bob?

Bob is God. Hail to the Bob.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.