Would you be happier as a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Would you be happier as a theist?
This is something I heard being quite common. Atheists who would like to be theists, but can't believe in it. Most of these people end up pagan too I hear.

I also have no idea. Sorry I'm not sure. Explain?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 05:29 PM

RE: Would you be happier as a theist?
I would wager that anyone that self-identifies as an Atheist who proclaims ambivalence about that status is actually a Theist that has slight doubts.
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2011, 05:41 PM
NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT. When I was a theist I was extremely unhappy and a lot of things made no sense. Now I am happy and everything makes sense.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
26-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I'll quote my religion teacher from middle school:
''We are all the same shit. No matter how much good we've done, or how much we've sinned, to God we are all just the same meaningless shit. In Nazi-Germany, they did an experiement with a jew: they calculated how much all the ingredients of the human body are worth. Less than 5 euros in modern money! We are worthless!''

Would I be happier being a worthless piece of shit than being an individual made of atoms that were formed in ancient stars and shaped by the environment and the DNA that I've inherited from my parents who were a part of an unbroken chain of succesfull replication since the beginning of life?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
[+] 1 user Likes Kikko's post
26-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I would be happier if there was some kind of benevolent god or goddess (or multiple) watching over me and the world, taking care of us. I CERTAINLY would, no doubt. But it's just not that way, unfortunately. I'm a strong atheist against the idea of any kind of personal benevolent god because it just wouldn't make any sense in context of the world we live in. But would I want there to be one? HELL YES. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ebilekittae's post
26-02-2011, 08:08 PM
I would be happy if there REALLY a god out there taking care of us, but that is not a fact until god shows up.

I will stick with the Buddha's philosophy. Life is suffering and it up to you to end suffering. If you are compassionist and loving to everyone. You will be happy and there will be less suffering.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2011, 08:33 PM

No, the entire basis of many theisms is self hatred to one degree or another. To identify yourself as a "flawed" creation born of original sin with the threat of eternal hellfire. How can anyone be content with these beliefs???
26-02-2011, 11:56 PM

Would I be happier being a delusional theist that HONESTLY believes? I can not answer that, because I do not believe! When i was an agnostic child that did not know much about religion but believed there was probably a God, I didn't really feel happy, no...

If we were presented with absolute scientific proof that there was a dictator god like the one Christian's believe in, I would be forced to be a theist (atheists would then be the delusional ones). But I would not be happy being forced to live with rules and worship and pray and do all that other repetitive useless bullshit that is required of the Biblical god, no i would not be happier with Yahweh as my master and Jesus as "Big Brother".

On the other hand if we discovered an "entity" creating things in the universe who would almost certainly have a purpose for us (life after death, isn't that all what religion is about?) I might find that comforting. I don't have total doubt that there is not such a thing (we can not prove a negative) so I can take comfort that there is a "maybe" after death. Or not, either way I won't be able to feel the pain of hell or the boredom of heaven. Tongue
27-02-2011, 01:44 AM
I once thought like that, when I was younger, now I see that I am free from those chains, and I couldn't be happier.
27-02-2011, 09:17 AM
If a dictator god like the Christians' god appeared why would you be forced to be a theist? The atheist stance would still stand and there would simply be the argument that that is not an actual god only a being capable of far more than we are. Even if humans were born of that being it wouldn't mean they had to follow it.

Same with a benevolent god though less would be in disbelief. There would still be an atheist belief in the fact that this greater being is not omniscient, and not infallible. and plenty of people would always question the reason life was the way it was this is an inescapable fact.

As a child I was envious of religious people because they were happy in not questioning life, happy in being accepted by the community, happy that they were somehow special and above others. I could never accept any of these things, for me especially the superiority part. I could never accept the idea that I have more worth than another.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.