Would you be happier as a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
RE: Would you be happier as a theist?
Since I became an Atheist, everything normally labeled as "spiritual" or "emotional" has gotten bigger, better and more real.

I feel happiness more joyfully.
I view the universe with ever increasing awe and wonder.
I feel love for my grand-kids and children more openly and deeper.
I feel less lonely and more open with others.

There is just something very profound that happens when the "god filter" is removed and you view and experience life directly without all the bullshit filters (dogma) of religion. Now I know Pure Love, Pure Wonder and Pure Joy like I never experienced during my almost 5 decades as a believer.

I think that's why so many religious folk hate us - they can't believe we don't believe yet are happier than they are.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Olddaad's post
28-09-2014, 09:18 PM
As much as i hate to admit it.. YES! yes i would be much happier and less anxious than i am right now! you see human belief is a very powerful thing once you convince your mind of something it changes your entire outlook on life,it changes your emotions and it changes the way you behave&act.

A person is considered "delusional" when he has unrealistic expectations but sometimes in life you NEED to be like that! religion only exists because it provides people with a false hope and an escape from reality like drugs and it also comes with side effects like dogma,war,persecution etc religion makes people believe that everything has a purpose and order and without their God delusion the cold shower of bitter reality will snap them back which they resist with all their willful ignorance because reality is too frightening for them without a sugarcoating.

As i see it "God" is nothing but a magnified projection of human ego onto others when people say "God hates gays" they mean to say "I hate gays" when people say "I have faith in God" they mean to say "I Hope things get better in the future".

Of course convincing yourself that a God exists itself is a damn near impossible task if you're a rational person but when you do you're happy delusional puppy... i sadly never was a theist i stopped believing in God since i was a child God made as much sense to me as the bedtime stories.

(07-09-2011 12:48 AM)Ava_Rose Wrote:  "The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some detestable insect, over the fire, detests you, and is dreadfully provoked: His wrath towards you burns like fire; He looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be thrown into the fire; He eyes are too pure than to bear to have you in His sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in His eyes, than the most hateful venomous snake is in ours ... it is nothing but His hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell last night."
Damn this shit is like reading a macabre horror novel.Gasp so much pettiness&hate its not even funny.

The thought of death doesn't bother me when i realize that i've basically been dead all along before my birth so it won't be anymore different after i die.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
28-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Was I happier? Yes. Yes, I was. When I was a theist, I had not realized that my actions were harming people more than they were helping. Now, as an atheist, I am very much in regret over the things I have done while I was certain that God existed.

However, the Question is: Theist Steve, or Atheist Steve.

I choose Atheist Steve 10/10 times. While Theist Steve might have been 10 times happier, he was also 10 times stupider and 10 more of a Dick.

Fuck Theist Steve.

That guy was a homophobe, a sectarian, an elitist that frowned upon the poor and thought they were the cause of their own problems.

Drinking Beverage

Atheist Steve has empathy towards those, and an unwavering acceptance of. Sure he might be bitter and angry with himself over the things he did in his past, but he knows how to use it to make himself a better person in the future.

Atheist Steve isn't arrogant enough to be certain about anything, and he is constantly happy to be wrong.

Atheist Steve maybe a sad guy, but he is certainly the better man between the two.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
28-09-2014, 10:47 PM
I'd be just as screwed up. At least this way I don't have to worry about going to hell for it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
28-09-2014, 10:56 PM
(26-02-2011 05:17 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  This is something I heard being quite common. Atheists who would like to be theists, but can't believe in it. Most of these people end up pagan too I hear.

I also have no idea. Sorry I'm not sure. Explain?

Fuck, no.

Reality is fucking awesome. Despite the way people look at me or treat me for being an atheist, I'm happy to enjoy the world around me. To appreciate the universe for what it is and reflect on the fact that for the short time that I'm alive, that I am a small part of the universe that gets to enjoy and understand itself.

Fuck being a theist. NOPE.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
28-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Hell fucking no!

I like the idea of reality! It just makes more possibilities then to blindly accept something that makes me feel better about the end.

Theism is the comfort food that makes death less painful. Accepting reality is the spice that makes life more wonderful.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
29-09-2014, 01:06 AM
No.

Currently, my uncle is shoving down my throat with Islamic books which I have to read and memorize as a sign of gratitude because he's taking me to Arabia for Umrah in January.

Not really content
29-09-2014, 08:26 AM
The question to me is similar to: "Would you be happier as a drug addict?"

To which I reply...I don't know. Maybe? But I don't consider that real happiness. Not when you have to escape reality to obtain it.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
29-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Not sure if I am happier now, but I am way less stressed than when I was a theist. No more worry about if my actions are going to mess with my chances of getting into heaven, no more worry about what arcane rule I have to follow or not, no more worry about if my perspective is correct, no more people telling me who I have to hate or what I can accept, no more trying to rectify my conscious with church stance, etc, etc, etc.....
29-09-2014, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2014 10:52 AM by Ace.)
lets see

if I was a theist I would be stuck believing that I was born a sinner and am doomed to suffer for eternity because my great great great great grandparents ate an apple when they didn't know right from wrong and their bastard of a dad decided to place a an apple tree with a do not touch sign knowing they'd eat it regardless and decided to condemn everyone else because he wanted to force us to worship him because he has no other way to achieve that without threatening us with the false promise of begin saved from a crime that I'm not guilty of

did I miss anything ?

why would I want to be a theist after knowing all that bullshit