Would you be happier as a theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 01:15 AM
RE: Would you be happier as a theist?
(26-02-2011 05:17 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  This is something I heard being quite common. Atheists who would like to be theists, but can't believe in it. Most of these people end up pagan too I hear.

I also have no idea. Sorry I'm not sure. Explain?

I don't know if this analogy will make any sense to you but here goes. In untangling a snarled fishing reel there is always a moment when you pull the right loop and the whole mess straightens out easily. That is exactly what coming to the conclusion that the God belief was not justifiable was like for me. When I took the possibility of a supernatural god out of the picture, suddenly the world made sense and so many contradictions evaporated. Why would I ever want to go back to that tangled mess of mis-integrated ideas and floating abstractions?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
30-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Q: Would you be happier as a theist?

A: Nope. I like things to actually make sense. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-09-2014, 02:39 PM
(30-09-2014 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Q: Would you be happier as a theist?

A: Nope. I like things to actually make sense. Drinking Beverage

Yep.

Isn’t the truth the important thing?

“The truth, however unwelcome, is not injurious; it is error which raises false hopes, which destroys, degrades and pollutes, and which, sooner or later, must be abandoned.”
(Mangasar Magurditch Mangasarian, http://www.atheists.org/Mangasar_Magurdi...gasarian_)

Good philosophy is best determined by considering the truth, which is the accurate depiction of reality; what has happened, and what is happening. Truth is not the depiction of something that never was or isn’t real. Biblical authors knew they were lying. A book based on deliberate lies shouldn’t be revered. No religion is more important than truth. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQJ3sqkdCRE).

A God didn’t write the bible, nor did bona-fide historians, or sincere people who cared about their readers. It was penned by power hungry priests and propagandists; spin-doctors asserting their own authority.

Most educated, objective, people can easily identify the lies in the bible. The bible is awash in false history, magic, deplorable ethics, narcissism and general weirdness, and it’s all written as though it’s telling the truth. It may have impressed uneducated people prior to the Renaissance, yet it doesn’t cut the mustard today. The bible, a product of the petty politics of power-hungry people, is nothing more than a mountain of untrue, immoral, superstitious nonsense.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
02-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Nope. Source: Theist convert.

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user