Would you be interested in reading the Christian Bible...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2012, 09:52 AM
RE: Would you be interested in reading the Christian Bible...
(20-10-2012 09:41 AM)depat Wrote:  Vera,

That was more than I could handle. Ugh!

Truly sorry... Didn't have to hit the play button though, did youWink

(Side note - it's a good thing Gregorian chants are sung in Latin - love them a lot, but it helps that my Latin is only so-so.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2012, 03:09 PM
A terrible confession, which should probably go in the Whispering Thread:

I think "Jerusalem" is gorgeous.

No, I don't believe in what it says, and the "Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand" line is thoroughly objectionable . . . but Blake was no run-of-the-mill poet, and what a beautiful, stirring tune Parry came up with.

For me it's just another example of the fact that religion sometimes inspires great music, art, and literature. That's its main contribution to humanity.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
20-10-2012, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 04:03 PM by Vera.)
(20-10-2012 03:09 PM)cufflink Wrote:  A terrible confession, which should probably go in the Whispering Thread:

No, I don't believe in what it says, and the "Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand" line is thoroughly objectionable . . . but Blake was no run-of-the-mill poet, and what a beautiful, stirring tune Parry came up with.

For me it's just another example of the fact that religion sometimes inspires great music, art, and literature. That's its main contribution to humanity.

I don't think that's terrible... I actually only recently found out what it was about (and who its author was), because of said QI episode and because of having heard bits of it and having liked it. Of course, I like almost anything sung by a choir, esp. a male one...

And yeah, a lot of great art has to do with religion; which is quite understandable - those extremely talented people were just dedicating their talent to what was the most important aspect of life at the time (e.g Vivaldi - his religious music is divine), if we didn't have religion, they would still have created masterpieces, only - different ones...

Sorry for derailing the thread, btw...

How about a bible TV series/soap opera? with a recap at the beginning of each episode ("Last time on Days of Our Lord's Life, Jesus got a new ride, though he would've preferred a horse", etc.). And talk about cliff-hangers! Will he manage to bring Lazarus to life? Will Judas betray him, WHAT will Jesus order for his last supper? Tune in next week to find out...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
20-10-2012, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 01:55 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-10-2012 03:09 PM)cufflink Wrote:  A terrible confession, which should probably go in the Whispering Thread:

Agree 100 %. The poetry is nice. I know you are an accomplished classical musician, so I'm not at all surprised. I really like the rising/falling rhythms/phrases, in hymnology, and the poetry. I was going to put it in my "what do you want for your funeral " thread, but didn't. In the last verse of "Loves Divine All Loves Excelling", there is a phrase, which goes, "'till we cast our crowns before thee", ... which is THE most poetic thing, I have ever heard. It's a great piece of music, especially by a big English Choir, orchestrated, and descanted. William and Kate used it for their wedding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFckP0F93JM , (I would have done it a bit faster, with more orchestra, more percussion). It says a lot about human dignity, and value of love. (WTF's wrong with poetry, anyway ? ) Them English have one hell of a musical tradition.
Slowly, a few friends, and I are working on creating a set of DVD's (maybe a live production), of "Symphony of Song"..a secular "hymn sing" with the tunes used, but the words changed, orchestrated, and setup for Gospel Choir, Symphonic chorus, soloists, descanted, etc etc. So far, we only have part of the Holiday set done. If you like I'll send you an invite, for the next "trial run", or a copy of the tape. Maybe I'll post one on YouTube. So far my favorite is the xmas tune "poverty", (All Poor Men and Humble). We got some "bongo guys" to help with the percussion arrangements, and it is a spectacular arrangement .. goes on and on, with occasional verses for the audience, solo duets, bla bla bla. It's a lot of fun to work on.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
20-10-2012, 04:08 PM
(20-10-2012 03:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  How about a bible TV series/soap opera? with a recap at the beginning of each episode ("Last time on Days of Our Lord's Life, Jesus got a new ride, though he would've preferred a horse", etc.). And talk about cliff-hangers! Will he manage to bring Lazarus to life? Will Judas betray him, WHAT will Jesus order for his last supper? Tune in next week to find out...

GENESIS! Big Grin

The story of Joseph...

*cue fluffy clouds in the skies*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
20-10-2012, 04:21 PM
(20-10-2012 03:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  

I don't think that's terrible... I actually only recently found out what it was about (and who its author was), because of said QI episode and because of having heard bits of it and having liked it. Of course, I like almost anything sung by a choir, esp. a male one...

And yeah, a lot of great art has to do with religion; which is quite understandable - those extremely talented people were just dedicating their talent to what was the most important aspect of life at the time (e.g Vivaldi - his religious music is divine), if we didn't have religion, they would still have created masterpieces, only - different ones...

Sorry for derailing the thread, btw...

How about a bible TV series/soap opera? with a recap at the beginning of each episode ("Last time on Days of Our Lord's Life, Jesus got a new ride, though he would've preferred a horse", etc.). And talk about cliff-hangers! Will he manage to bring Lazarus to life? Will Judas betray him, WHAT will Jesus order for his last supper? Tune in next week to find out...

That's what I say. Art belongs to humanity, not religion. Art passed through a religious phase, and they were mutually beneficial. Doesn't mean it has to stay stuck there. Great art is great art.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2012, 04:26 PM
(20-10-2012 12:24 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Now that I think about it, within this new model, I'd like to see it as a trilogy:

Old Testament (Torah), New Testament, Newer Testament (Quran). Perhaps maybe a smaller short story spin off to include the Newest Testament (Mormonism).

So with this new addition in mind, would you still be interested?

No.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-10-2012, 04:29 PM
(20-10-2012 04:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 12:24 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Now that I think about it, within this new model, I'd like to see it as a trilogy:

Old Testament (Torah), New Testament, Newer Testament (Quran). Perhaps maybe a smaller short story spin off to include the Newest Testament (Mormonism).

So with this new addition in mind, would you still be interested?

No.

How's THAT for terse and deadly ? Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-10-2012, 04:47 PM
(20-10-2012 09:17 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(20-10-2012 12:16 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  ... if it was rewritten to be more of an epic high fantasy novel?

Years ago I tried to read the entire bible by approaching it like a Tolkien novel, but it was just so uninteresting. You have magic, magical beings, global genocides, etc but it's not written well for any entertainment value.

HOWEVER I do see potential for it to be rewritten for it to be a proper epic high fantasy novel. So, with that in mind, would you be interested in reading it?

For me that sort of thing would have to be done right. I would like to see someone like Peter Jackson do the Bible like he did LOTR, but he would probably not do any research beyond the pagan bullshit that influences modern day Christianity.

Not a great idea. He completely fucked up LOTR.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2012, 04:50 PM
To continue with the derailing a bit longer:

(20-10-2012 04:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I know you are an accomplished classical musician . . .

As are you! Smile

Quote:In the last verse of "Loves Divine All Loves Excelling", there is a phrase, which goes, "'till we cast our crowns before thee", ... which is THE most poetic thing, I have ever heard. It's a great piece of music, especially by a big English Choir, orchestrated, and descanted. William and Kate used it for their wedding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFckP0F93JM , (I would have done it a bit faster, with more orchestra, more percussion). It says a lot about human dignity, and value of love.

Just listened to it. It IS beautiful. What makes it for me is the descant. Those English choirs know how to do descant. Wink

Quote:Slowly, a few friends, and I are working on creating a set of DVD's (maybe a live production), of "Symphony of Song"..a secular "hymn sing" with the tunes used, but the words changed, orchestrated, and setup for Gospel Choir, Symphonic chorus, soloists, descanted, etc etc. So far, we only have part of the Holiday set done. If you like I'll send you an invite, for the next "trial run", or a copy of the tape.

I'd love that. Thanks!

So . . . to name some religious or religiously inspired music that has been meaningful to me, off the top of my head:

Monteverdi: Vespers of 1610

Bach: B Minor Mass

Mozart: Requiem

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis

Berlioz: Requiem

Verdi: Requiem; Stabat Mater

Brahms: A German Requiem

Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms

Britten: War Requiem (not really religious, although it uses some of the traditional Latin text; overwhelming)

Minus any one of these, the world would be a poorer place.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post