Would you be interested in reading the Christian Bible...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 02:01 AM by Vera.)
RE: Would you be interested in reading the Christian Bible...
Quote:That's what I say. Art belongs to humanity, not religion. Art passed through a religious phase, and they were mutually beneficial. Doesn't mean it has to stay stuck there. Great art is great art.

Absolutely, art belongs to humanity. It truly annoys me when people say "Without Christianity we'd have had no Bach." What a load of bull. We have Bach because he was a genius, not because of an old book full of old wives' tales... And what about Khayyam - whom are we indebted to for him?

(One last derailment - that's what always bugged me in Christianity - everything good that you do is because of god, be humble and thank him for you are nothing. Anything bad you do comes out of your own wickedness and sinfulness... And then we wonder why humanity's so screwed up... you beat a child every day and tell him he's basically a piece of shit and see what he grows up to be...)

Quote:So . . . to name some religious or religiously inspired music that has been meaningful to me, off the top of my head:

Monteverdi: Vespers of 1610

Bach: B Minor Mass

Mozart: Requiem

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis

Berlioz: Requiem

Verdi: Requiem; Stabat Mater

Brahms: A German Requiem

Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms

Britten: War Requiem (not really religious, although it uses some of the traditional Latin text; overwhelming)

Minus any one of these, the world would be a poorer place.
Pergolesi's Stabat Mater - out of this world.

Vivaldi's Juditha Triumphans - stunning. Same with the rest of his religious works.

Gregorian music in general; same with so much mediaeval and renaissance religious works.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-10-2012, 02:17 AM
(21-10-2012 01:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  
Quote:That's what I say. Art belongs to humanity, not religion. Art passed through a religious phase, and they were mutually beneficial. Doesn't mean it has to stay stuck there. Great art is great art.

Absolutely, art belongs to humanity. It truly annoys me when people say "Without Christianity we'd have had no Bach." What a load of bull. We have Bach because he was a genius, not because of an old book full of old wives' tales... And what about Khayyam - whom are we indebted to for him?

(One last derailment - that's what always bugged me in Christianity - everything good that you do is because of god, be humble and thank him for you are nothing. Anything bad you do comes out of your own wickedness and sinfulness... And then we wonder why humanity's so screwed up... you beat a child every day and tell him he's basically a piece of shit and see what he grows up to be...)

Quote:So . . . to name some religious or religiously inspired music that has been meaningful to me, off the top of my head:

Monteverdi: Vespers of 1610

Bach: B Minor Mass

Mozart: Requiem

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis

Berlioz: Requiem

Verdi: Requiem; Stabat Mater

Brahms: A German Requiem

Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms

Britten: War Requiem (not really religious, although it uses some of the traditional Latin text; overwhelming)

Minus any one of these, the world would be a poorer place.

Vivaldi's Juditha Triumphans - stunning. Same with the rest of his religious works.

Gregorian music in general; same with so much mediaeval and renaissance religious works.

I also like Pergolesi's better. Tongue

I like Gregorian chant a lot. I also like what some people have done with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jWSxtJHJQg
I used to be able to read the 4 staves. I should review how to do that. It's not hard, if you can transpose. I prefer chant accompanied, as the richer harmonics add something.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

21-10-2012, 02:35 AM
(21-10-2012 02:17 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 01:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  Absolutely, art belongs to humanity. It truly annoys me when people say "Without Christianity we'd have had no Bach." What a load of bull. We have Bach because he was a genius, not because of an old book full of old wives' tales... And what about Khayyam - whom are we indebted to for him?

I also like Pergolesi's better. Tongue

I like Gregorian chant a lot. I also like what some people have done with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jWSxtJHJQg
I used to be able to read the 4 staves. I should review how to do that. It's not hard, if you can transpose. I prefer chant accompanied, as the richer harmonics add something.

I think I mostly prefer the unaccompanied ones (esp. not by an organ... I know, I know, it's blasphemy saying I don't like the organ, but it has a very mechanical sound to me, I feel like I can almost hear the mechanisms clanking inside), but I find Gregorian chants very soothing in almost all their forms... except for this sort of abomination http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7csvgL-G3E

One thing (of many) I regret, is never getting a more in-depth knowledge of music... but I have great admiration for those who do.

And Pergolesi was a genius, so sad that he died so young...

21-10-2012, 02:47 AM
(21-10-2012 02:35 AM)Vera Wrote:  I feel like I can almost hear the mechanisms clanking inside.

I hate those clunky tracker action organs. You CAN hear them clanking. They are so hard to play. I have our piano set to a very light touch. If the chant is accompanied quietly, fluidly, it's not bad. I might be able to change your mind. Tongue

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

21-10-2012, 05:00 AM
(21-10-2012 02:47 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 02:35 AM)Vera Wrote:  I feel like I can almost hear the mechanisms clanking inside.

I hate those clunky tracker action organs. You CAN hear them clanking. They are so hard to play. I have our piano set to a very light touch. If the chant is accompanied quietly, fluidly, it's not bad. I might be able to change your mind. Tongue

Nah, I'm not saying I don't like them accompanied - as you said, when it's done well, it adds to the beauty. They are just two slightly different types of what is essentially really good music.

And I'm always open to changing my mind, esp. when it comes to music. Every new piece or genre of music I come across and enjoy is more than welcome.

(When I finally buy a house in the mountains, I'm buying myself a piano... this way even if I suck, I won't bother anyoneWink)

21-10-2012, 08:11 AM
(21-10-2012 05:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 02:47 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I hate those clunky tracker action organs. You CAN hear them clanking. They are so hard to play. I have our piano set to a very light touch. If the chant is accompanied quietly, fluidly, it's not bad. I might be able to change your mind. Tongue

Nah, I'm not saying I don't like them accompanied - as you said, when it's done well, it adds to the beauty. They are just two slightly different types of what is essentially really good music.

And I'm always open to changing my mind, esp. when it comes to music. Every new piece or genre of music I come across and enjoy is more than welcome.

(When I finally buy a house in the mountains, I'm buying myself a piano... this way even if I suck, I won't bother anyoneWink)

Don't wait. There are "dampening systems", and even 100% silencing systems, or even just throw a comforter over the strings. I couldn't live without a keyboard. Watch this little surprise, and then come back, and AFTER poke the "spoiler".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ncVblmduSQ

You can actually *pick* your cathedral ! They have recorded, and recombined the individual stops, and you can have one in your house. Now THAT, your neighbors might not like.

21-10-2012, 08:25 AM
(21-10-2012 08:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Don't wait. There are "dampening systems", and even 100% silencing systems, or even just throw a comforter over the strings. I couldn't live without a keyboard. Watch this little surprise, and then come back, and AFTER poke the "spoiler".

You can actually *pick* your cathedral ! They have recorded, and recombined the individual stops, and you can have one in your house. Now THAT, your neighbors might not like.

Actually, it's not so much the neighbours (they've been grating on my nerves quite regularly), as it is lack of room... Unless I put it in the garden, but we have pretty mean winters over hereWink

Now, to more important stuff - pardon my ignorance, but how does this work? Is it an electronic organ and if yes, was I imagining a slight difference in the sound?

(BTW, I didn't realise just how much footwork (pun totally intended) was involved in playing the organ... still don't particularly like the sound, though... I used to love the harpsichord when I was younger, but now have the same problem with it, though not nearly as much as with the organ).

21-10-2012, 08:35 AM
(21-10-2012 08:25 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Don't wait. There are "dampening systems", and even 100% silencing systems, or even just throw a comforter over the strings. I couldn't live without a keyboard. Watch this little surprise, and then come back, and AFTER poke the "spoiler".

Actually, it's not so much the neighbours (they've been grating on my nerves quite regularly), as it is lack of room... Unless I put it in the garden, but we have pretty mean winters over hereWink

Now, to more important stuff - pardon my ignorance, but how does this work? Is it an electronic organ and if yes, was I imagining a slight difference in the sound?

(BTW, I didn't realise just how much footwork (pun totally intended) was involved in playing the organ... still don't particularly like the sound, though... I used to love the harpsichord when I was younger, but now have the same problem with it, though not nearly as much as with the organ).

I really don't like harpsicords. Now THEY are clunky. Unless they are used in chamber groups, then they are ok, to get the "passing tones".

The individual stop sounds are digitally recorded, (they are working on recording all the major cathedrals..they may be done by now.) Then the software presents them on a computer screen, (which you see to his right). You can go so far as actually having draw-knobs functional on the console. Then you use touch-screen to pick your stops, and "viola", the sound will come out, just as if you were sitting at the console in the building they recorded in. It's an amazing advance. The cost isn't bad. You can get an entire set up, (MIDI keyboards, pedal-board, software) for about $600-700. The better your speaker system, and computer is, the better your sound will be. I'm sure many churches will opt for this now, instead of buying pipe organs.

21-10-2012, 09:00 AM
(21-10-2012 08:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The individual stop sounds are digitally recorded, (they are working on recording all the major cathedrals..they may be done by now.) Then the software presents them on a computer screen, (which you see to his right). You can go so far as actually having draw-knobs functional on the console. Then you use touch-screen to pick your stops, and "viola", the sound will come out, just as if you were sitting at the console in the building they recorded in. It's an amazing advance. The cost isn't bad. You can get an entire set up, (MIDI keyboards, pedal-board, software) for about $600-700. The better your speaker system, and computer is, the better your sound will be. I'm sure many churches will opt for this now, instead of buying pipe organs.

I get it... so there will be a slightly electronic (for lack of better word) sound, won't there? Or am I imagining it every time I listen to an electronic instrument?

Regardless, it sounds like a much better/cheaper option for churches, where most people can't hear the difference anyway

21-10-2012, 09:04 AM
(21-10-2012 09:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The individual stop sounds are digitally recorded, (they are working on recording all the major cathedrals..they may be done by now.) Then the software presents them on a computer screen, (which you see to his right). You can go so far as actually having draw-knobs functional on the console. Then you use touch-screen to pick your stops, and "viola", the sound will come out, just as if you were sitting at the console in the building they recorded in. It's an amazing advance. The cost isn't bad. You can get an entire set up, (MIDI keyboards, pedal-board, software) for about $600-700. The better your speaker system, and computer is, the better your sound will be. I'm sure many churches will opt for this now, instead of buying pipe organs.

I get it... so there will be a slightly electronic (for lack of better word) sound, won't there? Or am I imagining it every time I listen to an electronic instrument?

Regardless, it sounds like a much better/cheaper option for churches, where most people can't hear the difference anyway

No, you're not imagining the "electronic" sound of the prior generation of electronic organs. I always hated electronic organs also But no, these actually sound exactly like the originals, and don't have that "electronic" organ sound. The sound is a digital reproduction. Your ear can't hear the difference.