Would you be successful in writing Ten new Commandments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2012, 03:33 PM
RE: Would you be successful in writing Ten new Commandments?
(26-10-2012 03:08 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fuck commandments. Drinking Beverage

Your list is a bit short. You need 9 more commandments.

Says who ? Jeebus had 2.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2012, 03:33 PM
No need for ten.

Commandment #1: Don't be a dick.

Nearly everything is open to interpretation. You'll never come up with any commandments, let alone one, that are not open to interpretation. Better to set a guideline that says, "be the best person you can be" and not only allow, but encourage people to interpret it.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-10-2012, 03:44 PM
(26-10-2012 03:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  No need for ten.

Nearly everything is open to interpretation. You'll never come up with any commandments, let alone one, that are not open to interpretation. Better to set a guideline that says, "be the best person you can be" and not only allow, but encourage people to interpret it.

I used to have just that one Stark, and then I encountered a prick in need of correction. He's why I now have 3.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
26-10-2012, 03:48 PM
(26-10-2012 03:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I used to have just that one Stark, and then I encountered a prick in need of correction. He's why I now have 3.

You make a good argument. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-10-2012, 11:05 PM

I like it, quick, easy, and right to the point.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
27-10-2012, 04:38 AM
(26-10-2012 03:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 03:08 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Your list is a bit short. You need 9 more commandments.

Says who ? Jeebus had 2.

The first one is the best since it advocates polyamory.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
27-10-2012, 05:22 AM
At what point did not boiling a goat in it's mother's milk really change the world? I'm suprised no one linked Carlin.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-10-2012, 08:28 AM
(26-10-2012 11:05 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  

I like it, quick, easy, and right to the point.

That's what she said.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
27-10-2012, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 02:33 PM by TrainWreck.)
(26-10-2012 02:19 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I used no circular reasoning for there was no reasoning. Just a "commandment" to question everything including the "commandment" itself. That's not even circular. It just says that we should take nothing for granted and we should be prepared to understand why we do everything while at the same time allowing for the fact that even this suggestion should be examined and not taken for granted - it might not apply to everyone, and nobody will know if it's right for them without examining and questioning it first.
You used the classic atheist doctrine, "Question everything."

(26-10-2012 02:19 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  It was also not a hypothesis, false or otherwise. Any chance you just used this word because it's big and impressive, but you really don't know what it means?
Get me to the documentation of all this truth you talk about.

(26-10-2012 02:19 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I don't even agree that theists have circular reasoning in their social doctrines - their circular reasoning mostly comes from believing in god because the bible says so, and believing the bible because god created it. Two really different things entirely.
You are wrong - they are one in the same. The gods, doctrines, and legends, are always about social organization, because, what the fuck else is there?!?!?

(26-10-2012 02:19 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 01:10 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  When are atheists going to finish analysing and get to establishing Truth!?!?!

Is that our job? Do you have any idea what "atheism" means? I can't even find one dictionary that includes "establisher of Truth" in the definition.

Truth is self-defining. If something is true, then it is just true. It doesn't need to be established as true. Water is wet. Water does not need your nor I to establish the fact that it's wet. It just is. I'll grant that if someone disagrees, then maybe someone else might want to throw some facts around to convince the person who disagrees, and that might be providing evidence of the truth, but it's still not establishing truth (with or without your capital-T).

(26-10-2012 01:10 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Let's move on to the next step in the evolution of Mankind.
Working on it. So are you (though I'm inclined, thus far, to believe just might be farther along the evolutionary path than you). We're going to evolve with or without either of us, so what's your point?
It has to do with classification of human knowledge in order to ensure the standardization of defining reality - it has to do with ontology - defining what exists and what does not exist.

(26-10-2012 02:19 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 01:10 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Oh, I forgot, we have to wait for the Christians to submit to the atheists demands in order for us to think straight.
Finally we agree - as a society we would think much straighter if Christians began thinking like atheists. That is what you meant, right?

Atheists will have to learn to think like me first, then that will work.

As it is Christians run this world, because atheists trapped in misinformation generated by the modern atheist movement in order to avoid social contentions.

(26-10-2012 02:19 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Otherwise, I guess I might have missed your point about submitting to atheists' demands - do we have a manifesto that I've overlooked? Can you link it for me? I'd sure love to learn what my demands are.

Or maybe you're just misinformed, clueless, and have no idea what atheism really is.

I had a dream last night I was up to my knees in bullshit - don't laugh, I was standing on your shoulders. Let's go over it again.

(26-10-2012 02:19 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I don't even agree that theists have circular reasoning in their social doctrines - their circular reasoning mostly comes from believing in god because the bible says so, and believing the bible because god created it. Two really different things entirely.
You are wrong - they are one in the same. The gods, doctrines, and legends, are always about social organization, because, what the fuck else is there?!?!?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
27-10-2012, 02:28 PM
(26-10-2012 03:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  . . .encourage people to interpret it.

Differently???

You expect there to be a definite set of interpretations, or infinite interpretations?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  10 commandments is a pretty good idea.. (philosofical excersice) Zerq The mad 25 1,104 22-09-2013 11:23 PM
Last Post: black_squirrel