Would you choose life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 12:28 AM
RE: Would you choose life?
(01-12-2016 12:25 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(30-11-2016 11:39 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Life is shit and then you die - were I capable of chosing then I wouldn't choose life. Nothing great about it, just long years filled with pain, disapointment and longing for what one can not have.

I bet you're a hoot at parties.
I just see no reason for not writing the truth. Life isn't only sunshine and rainbows.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
01-12-2016, 12:31 AM
(30-11-2016 11:39 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Life is shit and then you die - were I capable of chosing then I wouldn't choose life. Nothing great about it, just long years filled with pain, disapointment and longing for what one can not have.

This is why I don't think I'll ever be visiting eastern Europe. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-12-2016, 12:35 AM
(01-12-2016 12:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

This is why I don't think I'll ever be visiting eastern Europe. Laugh out load
You would be right in not doing so. There are some nice and old things to see here (my hometown is over 700 years old) but people are, hmm... lets call it not very happy. Can't really fault them, Eastern Europe and all Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-12-2016, 12:39 AM
I enjoy my life. But... my life is one which few get to live. I am well educated, I have a decent job, I have no kids, I have no debt. I have free time to pursue leisure interests. I have some worries like looking after my parents and not a lot of savings and so on, but overall I'm one of the lucky few who have it super easy. I am not particularly materially well off - I'd say I'm solidly middle class - but I'm sure as hell not poor. If I get *this* life, then yeah, I'd choose it again.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
01-12-2016, 12:40 AM
(01-12-2016 12:28 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 12:25 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I bet you're a hoot at parties.
I just see no reason for not writing the truth. Life isn't only sunshine and rainbows.

My life is only sunshine and rainbows.
01-12-2016, 12:41 AM
(01-12-2016 12:40 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 12:28 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I just see no reason for not writing the truth. Life isn't only sunshine and rainbows.

My life is only sunshine and rainbows.
Mine not.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-12-2016, 12:53 AM
Hell yeah. I would chose life.

I think you're clinically depressed.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bra...-anhedonia

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-12-2016, 01:04 AM
(01-12-2016 12:41 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 12:40 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  My life is only sunshine and rainbows.
Mine not.

Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-12-2016, 02:24 AM
(30-11-2016 10:32 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I can relate on some levels. Years ago, trying to take the problems of the world too seriously only to realize there isn't a damn thing I can do about most of them drove me to a state resembling depression. Nowadays, I wouldn't go so far as to call myself happy, but I more or less keep myself entertained by viewing life as if it were just some sort of role playing game and doing whatever seems entertaining at the time.

I try to do what's right on a small scale when it's convenient, but I generally avoid the bigger picture and try to view the world based on cause/effect rather than right/wrong. Viewing the world through the lenses of morality just doesn't make rational sense to me anymore.

yakherder,

Your post certainly got through to me. The last sentence is a keeper. Thumbsup

D.
01-12-2016, 02:35 AM
(30-11-2016 05:54 PM)Troxny Wrote:  Now this may be low bar as far as philosophy goes, but I'm curious to see your takes on this, because it is not something one would ordinarily discuss in real life.

I've always felt like life isn't for me, regardless of my state of mind. And if I had been given the choice I would rather not have been born, regardless of how the future turns out. I've lived a comfortable life in most aspects, and I very rarely feel depressed, not felt any trauma in my whole life, never had health issues.

I've never been suicidal, to me life is more like a game, and my goal currently is to live a life I feel content with, which I have so far managed to do. And even though I would prefer nothingness, I would never take my own life, because I'm too stubborn, I want to finish what I start, through good and bad, though by the looks of it will be more good than bad.

Am I the only one feeling this way? Is this even okay to discuss on here? I have no idea...

Troxny,

I feel that philosophy is real life, otherwise we are sleepwalking. One of the first questions in philosophy might be 'Why am I awake and here?'.

As "not have been born" is the only alternative we can conceive as against having been born, then it is a fair question. I think my answer would be that having been born is better, as it allows us to ask the question. Thoughts on the ontological argument come to mind here.

D.