Would you choose life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 06:12 AM
RE: Would you choose life?
I've never personally had a reason to commit suicide.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Suicide, no. Actively seeking out an adrenaline filled death more interesting than this dying in your sleep bullshit that everyone else seems to strive for? That I can get on board with.

'Murican Canadian
01-12-2016, 07:41 AM
(01-12-2016 12:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Hell yeah. I would chose life.

I think you're clinically depressed.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bra...-anhedonia

I went through a nasty period of anhedonia and psychomotor retardation. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy but wouldn't give up the experience for anything. How many can truly say what it means to be terrified by the monster in your own mind. Valuable street skill.

wrt suicide, I'm with Sartre. The possibility of suicide is fundamental to the individual as the sole source of meaning in an otherwise meaningless universe. “The absurd man will not commit suicide; he wants to live, without relinquishing any of his certainty, without a future, without hope, without illusions … and without resignation either. He stares at death with passionate attention and this fascination liberates him. He experiences the 'divine irresponsibility' of the condemned man.”

And then there's this fool. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-12-2016, 07:51 AM
I also would choose never to have been born, but of course that's academic and in my case mainly reflective of my personal temperament. I have never had the feeling of just being glad to be alive that so many people seem to have, at least at some points of their lives. (I feel happy frequently, much more than I feel sad, but never so much happiness that I'm glad I was born)

But I am alive, and I have experienced trauma, depression, deprivation, and despair, and they suck. Personally, I feel that it's worthwhile to try to make life a better experience for myself and for other people, and I've found ways that I think I can do that. Therefore, even when I'm not feeling happy, I'm feeling useful.

Maybe it will work to make peace with your emotional makeup and accept that it's just different--no better, no worse--than other people's. If you don't think of it as a flaw, then you can get on with other things. However, if you feel it's getting in your way, a talk therapist might be helpful.
01-12-2016, 08:01 AM
(01-12-2016 12:28 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I just see no reason for not writing the truth. Life isn't only sunshine and rainbows.

I've always had a high appreciation for unfiltered truth, especially when it is a truth not easily expressed by most people, and you appear to care more for that than what people think, so hats off to you.

I think one of the reasons that make life seem a bit bland to me is the fact that we have the internet. There's little mystery left, and every thought you have ever had, thousands of others have also had, almost every discovery you could've made would've already been discovered by someone else, unless you devote your whole life to just one thing.
To someone who lacks motivation such as me that will be enough to steer away from explorations, especially after trying and finding it did not do much for me.

And while animals and humans do bring me happiness, it is not enough, I've noticed that for the longer I live, the less interest and enthusiasm I have, repetition doesn't do a lot for me. I am cursed or blessed with this brain that most days will not allow me more than some amusement and moments of joy. And despite having had many friends in my life and even companions, I've resorted to a mostly solitary life because the only kind of connection I feel and value in the long run is an intimate one, not necessarily romantic, but a perfectly honest friendship.

I don't have a lot of interest in material things either, I don't think I'd qualify as a minimalist, but I'm close to that. I do like having the world at my fingertips though Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Troxny's post
01-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Nature makes me happy, and I live surrounded by it. Animals and plants never cease to fascinate me.

Would I choose to be born? Probably not.

Am I enjoying life? Yes, for the most part.

Would I commit suicide? I probably will, I don't see any point in lingering on and suffering once that body of mine starts to fail.

Would I commit suicide now? No, life is good now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-12-2016, 10:30 AM
(01-12-2016 10:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  Nature makes me happy, and I live surrounded by it. Animals and plants never cease to fascinate me.

Would I commit suicide? I probably will, I don't see any point in lingering on and suffering once that body of mine starts to fail.

There are already many countries in which euthanasia is legal, and by the time I am that old it is likely to be legal everywhere, at least that's what I would like to think, so suicide isn't necessarily the only way.
01-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Now that I have the perspective that we exist for a blip in time and then don't and never will again, I must admit that life seems oddly random. However, I enjoy life and am also happy that it isn't perfect. The imperfections keep it interesting and help to appreciate the better parts of life. I would definitely choose to live, but I'm also happy that life isn't eternal.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
01-12-2016, 11:47 AM
(01-12-2016 10:30 AM)Troxny Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 10:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  Nature makes me happy, and I live surrounded by it. Animals and plants never cease to fascinate me.

There are already many countries in which euthanasia is legal, and by the time I am that old it is likely to be legal everywhere, at least that's what I would like to think, so suicide isn't necessarily the only way.

I am old already, and I live in Oregon, where we have the death with dignity laws, so I am covered. Smile It's still suicide though, you have to pop the pill yourself.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-12-2016, 12:02 PM
(01-12-2016 08:01 AM)Troxny Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 12:28 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I just see no reason for not writing the truth. Life isn't only sunshine and rainbows.

I've always had a high appreciation for unfiltered truth, especially when it is a truth not easily expressed by most people, and you appear to care more for that than what people think, so hats off to you.

Thanks. There was no risk though - saying that I think life is shit won't even cause rise of eyebrows.

Quote: I think one of the reasons that make life seem a bit bland to me is the fact that we have the internet. There's little mystery left, and every thought you have ever had, thousands of others have also had, almost every discovery you could've made would've already been discovered by someone else, unless you devote your whole life to just one thing.
To someone who lacks motivation such as me that will be enough to steer away from explorations, especially after trying and finding it did not do much for me.

It is different for me - Internet brings me joy (in lesser amount than books, but still) and I find web to be quite useful in looking for new knowledge or little fun.

Quote: And while animals and humans do bring me happiness, it is not enough, I've noticed that for the longer I live, the less interest and enthusiasm I have, repetition doesn't do a lot for me. I am cursed or blessed with this brain that most days will not allow me more than some amusement and moments of joy. And despite having had many friends in my life and even companions, I've resorted to a mostly solitary life because the only kind of connection I feel and value in the long run is an intimate one, not necessarily romantic, but a perfectly honest friendship.

I appreciate being alone with only books, music and games as a company.

Quote: I don't have a lot of interest in material things either, I don't think I'd qualify as a minimalist, but I'm close to that. I do like having the world at my fingertips though Wink

I like beautiful things and I try to surround myself with them, however beauty is not enough, thing must be functional too.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post