Would you choose life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 03:03 PM
RE: Would you choose life?
(01-12-2016 02:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There is no journal from which to learn the perfect life. As different people we have differing wants and needs.

I know. There is also issue of living in different countries and cultures.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-12-2016, 03:16 PM
(01-12-2016 03:03 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I know. There is also issue of living in different countries and cultures.

Well, you are speaking with a guy with family and friends working all over the world.....

That said, a native in a village in Somalia has less chance than I. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-12-2016, 03:17 PM
(01-12-2016 03:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 03:03 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I know. There is also issue of living in different countries and cultures.

Well, you are speaking with a guy with family and friends working all over the world.....

That said, a native in a village in Somalia has less chance than I. Smile
Native living in Poland too.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-12-2016, 03:26 PM
(01-12-2016 02:42 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm not one for going forth when success is not guaranteed.

Yep, that's how hubby was. I, on the other hand, am a risk taker. Calculated risks, but some of them big. Can't be an entrepreneur without that. Lost my ass several times. Kept at it and ended up ahead.

It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. He did all the supermarket shopping because I bought too much "weird shit". Smile Poor hubby didn't sign up for an adventurous life like that. But - he did enjoy the ride anyway. He believed in "for better or for worse" as far as marriage goes, and I am happy to say it ended up for better most of the time.

And - his pessimism always ended up making me re-examine plans, so it was quite useful, too. We were different as night and day - but we made a great team.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-12-2016, 04:45 PM
(30-11-2016 05:54 PM)Troxny Wrote:  Am I the only one feeling this way? Is this even okay to discuss on here? I have no idea...
Yes it is ok to discuss this on here.

I would choose life. Simply because it is such a unique experience and such a low chance to be alive considering the circumstances. (This galaxy formed - produced a planet where this form of life is possible - millions of years until humanity - billions of people but your parents found each other - millions of sperm and but yours made it - making it through birth and your first years... It is amazing that I am alive and I wouldn't miss it if I had the choice.
My life has been very rocky and certainly not comfortable so far (though getting there), but it is a great experience all in all to be here for the time being.
yep... I'd choose life over non-existence. i will not exist for long enough, once my blink of time in this eternity is over (and also before being born I "non-existed" for long enough). Just having my fun for now Wink

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
02-12-2016, 01:56 AM
Szuchow I think... you can go places Wink

But fair enough, maybe you can't. There are enough people I've seen who are totally fucked. Their chance of changing their circumstances in life is minimal. They have no money, no jobs... it's grinding poverty for them until they die. And yet... somehow a lot of these people that I've met are happy. In SA beggars stand at intersections - nearly every city intersection has a beggar. Some have lived there for years. No shelter, minimal food, shabby clothing... I talk to them sometimes... they're not sad. Well, not all the time. It's an extremely hard life. But they find their moments of happiness. And there are rich people who commit suicide because they are unhappy. So... happiness is definitely not totally a function of wealth. I think... it's worth trying to find the secret to being happy *right now* - not later at some vague point in the future.

I know it sounds like hippie bullshit. Sorry Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-12-2016, 02:27 AM
(30-11-2016 10:32 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I can relate on some levels. Years ago, trying to take the problems of the world too seriously only to realize there isn't a damn thing I can do about most of them drove me to a state resembling depression. Nowadays, I wouldn't go so far as to call myself happy, but I more or less keep myself entertained by viewing life as if it were just some sort of role playing game and doing whatever seems entertaining at the time. [...]

This opinion very much mirrors my own feelings about life and the world around me. I live very much now on a day-to-day basis, and just do what I feel comfortable with dependent on how I'm feeling at any given point in time. I've given up worrying about the larger picture—such as the Trump effect, global warming, terrorist activities, Brexit, Putin's nukes, the Australian Trans-Pacific partnership, endangered animal species etc. Some people see this as isolationist and self-serving, but to me it's self-survival.

And I think your definition of life as a "role playing game" is an excellent analogy. Play the game and follow the script and you survive to live another day; act the opinionated extrovert or global do-gooder, or make waves, and prepare to be shot down in flames. At my age I, quite frankly, don't give a flying fuck what the planet's gonna be like fifty years down the track. Why should I?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-12-2016, 04:03 AM
(02-12-2016 02:27 AM)SYZ Wrote:  At my age I, quite frankly, don't give a flying fuck what the planet's gonna be like fifty years down the track. Why should I?

... And yet you've repeatedly pointed out the short-comings of religion Tongue If that's how you really feel, why not have an epiphany and become a pastor?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-12-2016, 05:45 AM
The way I see it, engaging in mentally stimulating debate on the bigger picture is different than being heavily emotionally invested. I was not, for example, fond of either Trump or Hillary. But I will not be losing any sleep over the election results. I felt a bit of apprehension for a few hours, then I said meh and went on with my life.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-12-2016, 07:45 AM
(02-12-2016 01:56 AM)morondog Wrote:  Szuchow I think... you can go places Wink

But fair enough, maybe you can't. There are enough people I've seen who are totally fucked. Their chance of changing their circumstances in life is minimal. They have no money, no jobs... it's grinding poverty for them until they die. And yet... somehow a lot of these people that I've met are happy. In SA beggars stand at intersections - nearly every city intersection has a beggar. Some have lived there for years. No shelter, minimal food, shabby clothing... I talk to them sometimes... they're not sad. Well, not all the time. It's an extremely hard life. But they find their moments of happiness. And there are rich people who commit suicide because they are unhappy. So... happiness is definitely not totally a function of wealth. I think... it's worth trying to find the secret to being happy *right now* - not later at some vague point in the future.

I know it sounds like hippie bullshit. Sorry Tongue

You are right. I have been on the extremes of the spectrum - rich and poor - and actually I have much better memories of being poor. Nothing left to lose can be very liberating and lets you enjoy the moment and appreciate everything. Rich gets old soon.

While no one wants strife in their lives, I think we are genetically programmed for it, for carving out our existence. Money is not the answer. Fulfillment is.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post