Would you claim a god doesn't exist for sure?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Would you claim a god doesn't exist for sure?
So many that i have talked to on other sites speak of how they know a god doesn't exist
I don't agree or disagree as i honestly don't know. But isn't wrong to say you "Know" a god exists just like it's wrong to say you "Don't know a god exists?" Because in reality we can say we know but we haven't yet to die and figure it out sure more evidence supports this to be not possible, however we can't say for sure can we?
On your half, would you ever say for sure if a god did or didn't exist?
I feel as if i wouldn't because i feel like i couldn't ever know for sure.
Please give a "Why or why not do you think or don't think it's possible to claim if a god fully exists or not"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: Would you claim a god doesn't exist for sure?
I don't know if there isn't a "god" (for lack of better word) type deity thing...

What I do know is all religions were invented by people (mostly men).

The "bible" is nothing but a collection of older myths repackaged by people in the bronze age.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-12-2014, 12:44 PM
(23-12-2014 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know if there isn't a "god" (for lack of better word) type deity thing...

The "bible" is nothing but a collection of older myths repackaged by people in the bronze age.

I sometimes use the word deity, i don't feel like i need to use the word deity.
As i'm guessing from suggesting what you did you've already got the hint of what i meant.
So if you say you know all religions were invented by people mostly men then wouldn't it be the same as saying you know a god doesn't exist? (Correct me if i'm wrong)
23-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I do not know for certain whether or not God exists. Furthermore, I don't think it's possible for anyone to know this (either way) for certain.

Having said that, I see no convincing evidence for the existence of God(s), so I think it far more likely that he/she/it/they do not exist. But I don't see how anyone can claim to "know" that.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Depends on what you mean by "god".

Could there be something alive that is bigger or better or whatever more than us? Sure, we haven't even begun to explore the universe.

Would this life form be micromanaging billions of human lives for centuries? Not likely.

If there was one who actually did micromanage us, would that warrant my worshiping this life form?

Most certainly not, they would be failing miserably, causing all kinds of torture and hardship on a daily basis.

Far as I know, there are no gods, and if there were any, they should be impeached or otherwise removed, not worshiped.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-12-2014, 12:57 PM
(23-12-2014 12:35 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  So many that i have talked to on other sites speak of how they know a god doesn't exist
I don't agree or disagree as i honestly don't know. But isn't wrong to say you "Know" a god exists just like it's wrong to say you "Don't know a god exists?" Because in reality we can say we know but we haven't yet to die and figure it out sure more evidence supports this to be not possible, however we can't say for sure can we?
On your half, would you ever say for sure if a god did or didn't exist?
I feel as if i wouldn't because i feel like i couldn't ever know for sure.
Please give a "Why or why not do you think or don't think it's possible to claim if a god fully exists or not"

The concept is incoherent. Any of the properties a god which exists possess (of necessity) are self-refuting for any god.

I believe in a hkin667$s&^$)#@mju74nhd,,.knsmre32.
That created a god for each universe cuz it's involved with it's fellows and they're playing a game to determine how any creatures they can cook up who mistakenly think a "god done did it".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-12-2014, 01:04 PM
First thing anyone needs to define is what they mean by 'god'.
Without a definition as reference all conversation or debate is rather pointless.
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
23-12-2014, 01:08 PM
(23-12-2014 12:44 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know if there isn't a "god" (for lack of better word) type deity thing...

I sometimes use the word deity, i don't feel like i need to use the word deity.
As i'm guessing from suggesting what you did you've already got the hint of what i meant.
So if you say you know all religions were invented by people mostly men then wouldn't it be the same as saying you know a god doesn't exist? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

No, not the same. There could be a deity -- I don't know, I've never seen evidence to prove or disprove that. I see no evidence they take an active part in our lives. I see nothing that suggests cajoling them with prayer accomplishes anything. Something we might call a "god" again for lack of better word, might be out there, but they might not even know we exist or give a crap.

Religions however are created by people -- some are started as a way to make sense of what they couldn't comprehend, to lessen a fear of death/unknown -- whatever. Some later morphed into a way to control people -- their behaviors. Generations of indoctrination and confirmation bias lead people to believe -- because it's what their parents did.

Is the Iliad proof of Zeus?

I've maintained the early people in most of the common religions today weren't really believers. Their holidays were repurposed or rebranded for the "new" monotheistic beliefs (as opposed to polytheistic), but their children, and grandchildren most likely did believe. Let's not forget most of these people couldn't read, couldn't write their names. They're lives were harsh and very difficult -- who wouldn't want to believe the promise of a better life after death?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I might climb mount Olympos one day to visit Zeus and reasert my disbelief in him.

But I do not intend to go through the same process with each deity.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
23-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I personally reject the existence of anything supernatural, be it gods, magic, fairies, ghosts, the soul, etc. There may be some utterly bizarre phenomena we can't fully explain yet, but to me this does not suggest anything supernatural. I wouldn't claim to KNOW, or that it's impossible; I just don't see how a supernatural realm is necessary.