Would you claim a god doesn't exist for sure?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 01:24 PM
RE: Would you claim a god doesn't exist for sure?
(23-12-2014 12:35 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  So many that i have talked to on other sites speak of how they know a god doesn't exist
I don't agree or disagree as i honestly don't know. But isn't wrong to say you "Know" a god exists just like it's wrong to say you "Don't know a god exists?"

It depends on how you define the god in question.

If you say "Zeus is a physical being that lives at the top of Mount Olympus", we can prove that wrong pretty easily.

If you say "YHWH is an invisible, undetectable entity that used magical powers to create the universe, then changed the evidence to make it look like he didn't", that can't even begin to be addressed in any meaningful way. It's just a particular flavor or Last Thursdayism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2014, 01:43 PM
if it can't be proven to exist, then how is it any different from it not existing ?

they can't even define gods properties without invoking a paradox

omnipotence.... can god lift a rock so heavy that even he can't lift then ?
omniscience....... god tells me I will die from eating noodles tonight, I don't eat noodles tonight and therefore don't die because of it, therefore his prediction fails, certain predictions will always fail to happen simply by knowing whats gonna happen
omni benevolence....... chickenpox, ebola, swin flu, bird flu, Justin Bieber (need I say more)
omni present.................. can god stay in one place without being in every place ? or can god move to a place when he's already at that place ?

is there any other omni thingy left ?

I have yet to see a single definition for god that is actually coherent, so unless they can rigorously define god then we get to kill him by using nothing but logic

if its incoherent and paradoxical then what their saying can' exist
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
23-12-2014, 01:50 PM
(23-12-2014 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The "bible" is nothing but a collection of older myths repackaged by people in the bronze age.

According to whom?

Truth seeker.
23-12-2014, 01:52 PM
(23-12-2014 01:43 PM)Ace Wrote:  if it can't be proven to exist, then how is it any different from it not existing ?

they can't even define gods properties without invoking a paradox

omnipotence.... can god lift a rock so heavy that even he can't lift then ?
omniscience....... god tells me I will die from eating noodles tonight, I don't eat noodles tonight and therefore don't die because of it, therefore his prediction fails, certain predictions will always fail to happen simply by knowing whats gonna happen
omni benevolence....... chickenpox, ebola, swin flu, bird flu, Justin Bieber (need I say more)
omni present.................. can god stay in one place without being in every place ? or can god move to a place when he's already at that place ?

is there any other omni thingy left ?

I have yet to see a single definition for god that is actually coherent, so unless they can rigorously define god then we get to kill him by using nothing but logic

if its incoherent and paradoxical then what their saying can' exist

Omnipotence: God is above logic, so yes.
Omniscience: Once again, God is above logic.
Omnibenevolence: I see no reason to believe that God has this attribute.

Truth seeker.
23-12-2014, 01:56 PM
(23-12-2014 01:50 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The "bible" is nothing but a collection of older myths repackaged by people in the bronze age.

According to whom?

Dildo,
When you get big and go to school you'll be able to take a class and learn about these complicated things. Now run along and play with your legos.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-12-2014, 01:57 PM
(23-12-2014 01:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 01:50 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  According to whom?

Dildo,
When you get big and go to school you'll be able to take a class and learn about these complicated things. Now run along and play with your legos.

Oh, I am already very big. Sad

Truth seeker.
23-12-2014, 02:00 PM
(23-12-2014 01:57 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Oh, I am already very big. Sad

According to whom?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
23-12-2014, 02:02 PM
(23-12-2014 12:44 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  So if you say you know all religions were invented by people mostly men then wouldn't it be the same as saying you know a god doesn't exist? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Why? You seem to assume that the existence of god/gods necessitates religion. Isn't it possible that the two could be unconnected?

And what if there were a god/gods, but the humans coming up with religions just haven't come across it yet?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
23-12-2014, 02:06 PM
(23-12-2014 01:52 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Omnipotence: God is above logic, so yes.

And you know any of the above how, precisely?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
23-12-2014, 02:08 PM
(23-12-2014 02:06 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 01:52 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Omnipotence: God is above logic, so yes.

And you know any of the above how, precisely?

If "god is above logic" then saying ANYTHING AT ALL about whatever that word means, is worthless. So please, just STFU.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.