Would you claim a god doesn't exist for sure?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Would you claim a god doesn't exist for sure?
(23-12-2014 03:19 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  What if we where reading it wrong?
or what if it's true but he's just a dick Laugh out load Tongue Big Grin that works to!

Such a colossal prick with such a tiny prick would be pretty obvious.
[Image: assorted_fruits.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
23-12-2014, 03:25 PM
(23-12-2014 03:21 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  What do you mean when you say "Gods (namely, "current" ones)"

Ones with large amounts of worshipers alive today.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
23-12-2014, 03:31 PM
(23-12-2014 02:02 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 12:44 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  So if you say you know all religions were invented by people mostly men then wouldn't it be the same as saying you know a god doesn't exist? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Why? You seem to assume that the existence of god/gods necessitates religion. Isn't it possible that the two could be unconnected?

And what if there were a god/gods, but the humans coming up with religions just haven't come across it yet?

I'm not assuming. I'm asking because i'm not sure about anything really.
I'm not even a person who has read the bible as of yet so i don't know much on the topics. I came to this site out of pure wanting to relate to people and talk but be open to all possibility's as of the moment. I'm not sure what the word Necssitates mean or what you're getting at when you said what you did do you mind explaining?
I'm not to good on bigger words but i try Smile
23-12-2014, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't claim to KNOW for sure that gods don't exist. Likewise I wouldn't claim to know for sure that leprechauns don't exist. However, I'm not prepared to live my life by leprechaun rules of morality/sexuality or advocate to have a leprechaun-based theory of origins taught in public school based on my fear of how they might react to my disbelief if they DO exist.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
23-12-2014, 03:34 PM
When you say other sites what do you mean? Do you mean atheistic themed forums, or other types of random forums/reddity like message boards?

In polls here frequently the number of people who are agnostic atheist/weak atheist of the position not claiming God doesn't exist, is vastly a majority of the members here. I always thought it was that this forum under Seth's podcast/video fame was more of a skeptical approach which is why that number is what triumphs in this community.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-12-2014, 03:36 PM
(23-12-2014 03:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 03:19 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  What if we where reading it wrong?
or what if it's true but he's just a dick Laugh out load Tongue Big Grin that works to!

Such a colossal prick with such a tiny prick would be pretty obvious.
[Image: assorted_fruits.jpg]

Not really, Drinking Beverage If we are reading something wrong it could be that he's a twisted being. Either way i wouldn't worship it.
I liked that post though <3 i honestly don't know i haven't read the bible i really should but at Christmas i don't have the cash to grab some books upon it.
So far i'd agree as of the moment that it sounds nutty, and not real.
23-12-2014, 03:39 PM
(23-12-2014 03:34 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  When you say other sites what do you mean? Do you mean atheistic themed forums, or other types of random forums/reddity like message boards?

In polls here frequently the number of people who are agnostic atheist/weak atheist of the position not claiming God doesn't exist, is vastly a majority of the members here. I always thought it was that this forum under Seth's podcast/video fame was more of a skeptical approach which is why that number is what triumphs in this community.

Other sites as in other social networking sites that hold forms but are very random and can and do talk about almost anything and everything.
23-12-2014, 03:44 PM
(23-12-2014 03:31 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm not assuming. I'm asking because i'm not sure about anything really.
I'm not even a person who has read the bible as of yet so i don't know much on the topics. I came to this site out of pure wanting to relate to people and talk but be open to all possibility's as of the moment. I'm not sure what the word Necssitates mean or what you're getting at when you said what you did do you mind explaining?
I'm not to good on bigger words but i try Smile

OK, time for some Bible Study. Evil_monster

Read Genesis 1, 2 and 3.
  • How many different writing styles did you spot?
  • In the story of The Fall, who tells the truth about The Tree of Knowledge
  • Who lies about it?
  • What reason does God give for expelling Adam and Eve from Eden?
Enjoy!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-12-2014, 03:51 PM
(23-12-2014 03:36 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Not really, Drinking Beverage If we are reading something wrong it could be that he's a twisted being. Either way i wouldn't worship it.
I liked that post though <3 i honestly don't know i haven't read the bible i really should but at Christmas i don't have the cash to grab some books upon it.
So far i'd agree as of the moment that it sounds nutty, and not real.

If you ask nicely, some of the resident experts might direct you to some free, online resources of that nature.

Honestly, I've never read the Bible either. I made a couple of stabs at it but never managed to get more than a few books in. It's just so unutterably boring. It doesn't just read like fiction, it reads like bad, mistranslated fiction written by a dozen different writers and no editor.

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
23-12-2014, 03:56 PM
(23-12-2014 03:32 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I wouldn't claim to KNOW for sure that gods don't exist. Likewise I wouldn't claim to know for sure that leprechauns don't exist. However, I'm not prepared to live my life by leprechaun rules of morality/sexuality or advocate to have a leprechaun-based theory of origins taught in public school based on my fear of how they might react to my disbelief if they DO exist.

For me it depends entirely on the leprechaun Big Grin

[Image: victorias-secret-fashion-show-2012-1108-63.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce