Would you ever live across the street from a church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Would you ever live across the street from a church?
The reason i'm asking is because i currently live across the street form a catholic church. They recently have either fixed the old bell or have installed a new one. This thing goes off every hour 12 times a day & is loud enough to wake the dead. I have complained about this on a local social networking site. Everyone else loves them & i'm the only one complaining about them. They usually dont bother me because i'm at work but on the weekends its very annoying. Am i wrong here? Am i being too winey? I guess i either have to put up with it or move which i dont want to do. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 09:58 PM
RE: Would you ever live across the street from a church?
church bells are one of the few things I like about churches.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
16-02-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm surrounded by the fucking monoliths!

And polyliths and templiths.

I can't wait to get back to Chinatown when my lease runs out.

Swarms of catholics... I feel my skin crawl as I wade through them.

The temples though, not so bad... the female participants are dressed like Bows and Arrows' avatar... sexy.

Heaven's bells are OK by me and I also quite like the Muslim calls to prayer (maybe because I don't understand the words), but both are better heard from a distance.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-02-2014, 10:38 PM
(16-02-2014 09:58 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  church bells are one of the few things I like about churches.

GEEZ. I'm really alone on this. Even other atheist disagree with me. I guess i really am crazy or just winey. i guess i gotta do what my neighbors said & suck it up.
16-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Use a parabolic speaker to "whisper" in the ears of people outside the church. Make creepy promises and tiptoe around potentially being Satan, try to persuade them to come in so you can look into their souls or something. Eventually some crazy will burn the place down. Problem solved.
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
16-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Not so fast Sovby. I would hate to have church bells across the street. I'm a light sleeper and anything wakes me up. I have an elementary school about a quarter mile away from my home and each morning at 8:25 and again at 8:35 it blasts a tone five times to let the kids know to get into their classrooms. It drives me crazy. I also inherited a nice grandfather clock years ago and we wound it up and ran it for a week. It drove me crazy. People say, "You get used to it. I never even hear them anymore." BULLSHIT! Drove me batshit crazy.

So I'm with you.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I would sneak around at night and create miracle "proofs," blood on statue palms and such.

then rent my lawn for 6x $50 parking when the tards turn up on mass.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
16-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Church bells and train whistles to me are things that fade into background noise so that after a while I don't even notice them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-02-2014, 11:14 PM
(16-02-2014 10:42 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Not so fast Sovby. I would hate to have church bells across the street. I'm a light sleeper and anything wakes me up. I have an elementary school about a quarter mile away from my home and each morning at 8:25 and again at 8:35 it blasts a tone five times to let the kids know to get into their classrooms. It drives me crazy. I also inherited a nice grandfather clock years ago and we wound it up and ran it for a week. It drove me crazy. People say, "You get used to it. I never even hear them anymore." BULLSHIT! Drove me batshit crazy.

So I'm with you.

Thanks. your the first person that agrees with me. The problem is now if the church bells were involved in a tragic accident i'm going to be the first person the police will interrogate
[+] 2 users Like Sovby's post
16-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I used to live across from a train crossing. horns, screeching rails, thuds, clickety-clacking. Quite noisy and I never paid enough attention to figure out the schedule. Eventually I tuned it out, and am now probably one of the few people who could be lulled asleep by the sound of a train passing by.

I eventually tuned out our grandfather clock. But it was strange that my brain sort of kept track of what time it was without me even thinking about it. I never had to look at the clock--my brain was listening even though I wasn't paying it any attention.

Do the church bells ring all night?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller