Would you ever live across the street from a church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 10:35 AM
RE: Would you ever live across the street from a church?
I already do. My neighbors are self righteous, better-than-thou, pricks. I'd I had a choice I wouldn't live in the same damn city.
(my neighborhood is the one Biola University is in, just Google it if you don't know)

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was something like the Sagrada Familia.

But Greek churches are possibly the ugliest churches around.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
18-02-2014, 10:43 AM
(16-02-2014 09:54 PM)Sovby Wrote:  The reason i'm asking is because i currently live across the street form a catholic church. They recently have either fixed the old bell or have installed a new one. This thing goes off every hour 12 times a day & is loud enough to wake the dead. I have complained about this on a local social networking site. Everyone else loves them & i'm the only one complaining about them. They usually dont bother me because i'm at work but on the weekends its very annoying. Am i wrong here? Am i being too winey? I guess i either have to put up with it or move which i dont want to do. Any thoughts?

I usually like the sounds of bells, but maybe not so close to my house as you are. I think since they are only rang 12 hrs a day you would have a hard time getting any sort of help from the city in stopping them, perhaps the avenue to go down would be to see about getting them to lower the volume?

I lived right by a train once, and I mean REALLY close! By law the train had to toot its damn horn everytime it came by and you can't imagine how loud it was several times a day and at night. After a few months I got use to it and mostly just drown it out, hopefully this is something you would be able to do as well for your sake.

As far as just living so close to a church, I am not so sure. I mean certain aspects might be nice, they probably keep their landscaping up so that helps property values and such. I often find it amusing to watch people go in and out of church, it makes me laugh to myself when I can identify their fake plastered on smiles while they try to be perfect on Sunday and for everyone to see, its so ridiculous it is hilarious. I wouldn't want to live so close a denomination that is big into trying to convert though or the ones that want to rid the world of evil and will stop at no means to do it. A friend of mine from high school had her house burned down by a local congregation because they felt it harboured evil. Another person I went to college with was constantly having his home vandalized with words like "come to jesus now or burn in hell" sprayed across his house and car. This was the work of the church members from next door after he spent a sunday mowing his lawn and working outside. They wanted their church members to see what happens to those who don't hold the lords day sacred. So yeah, if it was a church on the crazy side(they all are but some are far worse than others), no I wouldn't want to live so close.

Another thing, they have freedoms to express their religion by the ringing of their bells, but don't forget my friend you have freedoms to express yourself too. Evil_monsterBig GrinIdeaIdeaIdea

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/
[+] 1 user Likes Pearl's post
18-02-2014, 10:49 AM
(18-02-2014 10:43 AM)Pearl Wrote:  Another thing, they have freedoms to express their religion by the ringing of their bells, but don't forget my friend you have freedoms to express yourself too. Evil_monsterBig GrinIdeaIdeaIdea

For the glory of Satan?

Atir aissom atir imon
18-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Cute little church boys and girls just waiting to be atheistized. Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
18-02-2014, 12:03 PM
I don't mind the bells at all. Bells were used to tell time, warn the people about disasters or threats. In Italy, where I grew up, the bells towers are mostly owned by the cities. Being an atheist has never prevented me to enjoy the magnificent (when so) sound made by bells, or to go inside a church to admire the art and architecture from a distant past.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
[+] 1 user Likes Alexandro's post
18-02-2014, 12:22 PM
(17-02-2014 05:11 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 04:40 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  It won't help with the noise pollution, but if you start referring to church bells as the "call to prayer" you can get some satisfyingly offended looks from Christians.

Why is it offensive?

The phrase is often associated with the chanting you hear coming from mosques five times a day to summon people to prayer. They often don't like the comparison.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
18-02-2014, 12:52 PM
It would depend on the location and how busy/active the curch. If there were cars all over the place all the time, probably not.
21-02-2014, 08:37 AM
I would hate to be in your shoes. If I'm downtown when the bells start ringing it always makes me jump. I think it would drive me mad to live across the street from them.

I grew up down the street from a church that luckily had no bells. I didn't have a problem with anyone from the church, although that might be because it changed hands a lot. I'm not kidding. I just turned forty and the church has changed hands at least 15 times. I've always wondered why.

I am still learning. --Michelangelo, age 87
23-02-2014, 02:10 AM
That would drive me a bit nuts. Why the hell do they have to ring out the time? Do people in your town not have watches?

My hippy Wiccin neighbour nearly drove me bananas with her wind chime banging away.