Would you have invented god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2011, 03:00 AM

Would you have invented god?
I have already asked this question in one post (in Introduction) but I think it deserves its own thread.

Suppose, for argument's sake, that you grew up in a world where nobody ever talked about gods or supernatural of any kind. Suppose you had an education where they taught you about nature, physics, scientific facts, technology, productive skills, social organization, project management, etc., etc, and no one ever mentioned anything that might even remotely suggest something that was not based on reliable experience and or logic.

No priests, no churches, no bibles, no superstition, no Santa Clauses, no tooth fairies, nothing but observable reality.

Would you have ever thought of anything outside this?

What in your own personal experiences, if anything, would have made you think that there might be something beyond nature?

Anything that was your own discovery, not something handed down to you by people, books, movies, etc?

(Personally, I can't imagine anything that would have made me look up at a roof, in an empty building, and murmur gibberish at the rafters.)
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 03:35 AM

RE: Would you have invented god?
I think I know where your going with this and I would have to agree. But we'll never know for certain will we. One can only hope Smile btw your hypothetical sounds like heaven for me lol
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 05:48 AM
I'd have to say no if it was a technological society and most peoples basic needs were being met.

I think the God idea sprang up out of ignorance. Historically theism was by far most common around the world. Atheism only became more popular after scientific advances since we have a deeper understanding of the world and how things work.

Religion tends to thrive in societies that are poorly educated, full of desperate people in poverty and crappy healthcare.

According to a study carried out by professor of sociology at Pitzer College, Phil Zuckerman "levels of religiosity and creationism tend to decline as income levels rise ..."

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Good post!

I am absolutely convinced Christianity started and later thrived because it facilitated control over people.

Whilst there are very many altruistic run of the mill Christians today, the fundamental agenda of those at the top is still power and control. They will deny it, and wrap their actions up in appealing language, but the "raison d'etre" of Christianity is power and money.

I have no interest in controlling people, so would not try to start a new religion such as Christianity.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Hell ya I would, and I would be rich. HE WANTS YOU TO GIVE TILL IT HURTS!

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 3 users Like NotSoVacuous's post
16-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Hahahaha notso just what I was thinking.

I'm sure that reality is not a possible one because as others have stated I also believe religion is born out if ignorance or even a pack of intelligence. I can't unfortunately envision a world like the one you propose only because there will always be people who hear a scientific explanation for something and figure that because they don't understand it that it must not be true.
But what a world yours would be. I bet we'd all have flying cars by now or at least a holideck.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Without a reason to invent something the only way it would come about would be by accident. I would not purposely invent god(s) in this scenario because the concept would serve no purpose. An accident would imply I got hit in the head...real....real...hard and among the stars and birds flying around my head I may have seen the image of GOD! Or I would have assumed the birds were God and my new creation (religion) would be the Church of the Little Yellow Birds and Stars. We would worship them by doing essentially the same thing that the religious do today...damage our brains in order to try to reproduce the experience, only in this case the damage would be from external blunt force trauma instead of internal stupidity trauma.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree with most ideas here that Religion in it's form was built up in ignorance and misinformation about the world... But I don't think that was the jumping point to creating the idea of a God.

I think people and even a person like I could come up with that idea. In the realm of creativity with expression of ones mind, I don't see it as insane to come up with the thoughts that maybe there is something outside the realm of what we still know.

I don't see there being any need for there to be some experience or need to come up with a god idea outside of imagination and natural curiosity... I don't know how you would take the step to believe it and hold it to be more true than known knowledge.
16-08-2011, 05:27 PM
(16-08-2011 03:00 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  What in your own personal experiences, if anything, would have made you think that there might be something beyond nature?

Psychedelics. Dunno about making me think there is something beyond nature (hell many of them are from nature), but definitely make me think there is something beyond my normal interpretation and perception of nature.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
16-08-2011, 07:03 PM
(16-08-2011 03:00 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  I have already asked this question in one post (in Introduction) but I think it deserves its own thread.

Suppose, for argument's sake, that you grew up in a world where nobody ever talked about gods or supernatural of any kind. Suppose you had an education where they taught you about nature, physics, scientific facts, technology, productive skills, social organization, project management, etc., etc, and no one ever mentioned anything that might even remotely suggest something that was not based on reliable experience and or logic.

No priests, no churches, no bibles, no superstition, no Santa Clauses, no tooth fairies, nothing but observable reality.

Would you have ever thought of anything outside this?

What in your own personal experiences, if anything, would have made you think that there might be something beyond nature?

Anything that was your own discovery, not something handed down to you by people, books, movies, etc?

(Personally, I can't imagine anything that would have made me look up at a roof, in an empty building, and murmur gibberish at the rafters.)

As a non greedy, callous, entrepreneur. NO! That said the idea has been used for millenium to instil fear and obediance. As for supernaturality involving less demanding premises than do most religions......not so sure!Confused