Would you murder 1 person for a utopia on earth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: Would you murder 1 person for a utopia on earth?
If it was a sure thing I could get rid of 6.5 billion and still have a clear conscious. Totally worth it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
(06-11-2013 06:55 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  If it was a sure thing I could get rid of 6.5 billion and still have a clear conscious. Totally worth it.

Yay! I'm not alone in my wickedness Clap

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
As Spock said, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

However, I would rather like to murder myself, because I wouldn't want to live in the utopia, I would just like to create it for everyone else.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
07-11-2013, 05:54 AM
No. Utopia is bullshit.
07-11-2013, 06:33 AM
(07-11-2013 05:54 AM)Juv Wrote:  No. Utopia is bullshit.
Yeah, utopia is bullshit. So is dystopia, yet we live in it and think this is the best of the possible worlds. The almighty dollar religion, gluttony chants in every home and sacred nation tribes. Fuck that shit. Why can't we have just... topia?

07-11-2013, 06:43 AM
[Image: 2631525-ozymandias2.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
07-11-2013, 07:16 AM
(07-11-2013 06:43 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  [Image: 2631525-ozymandias2.jpg]

the man in that image is truly a dangerously genre savvy individual, indeed.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
You would have to further define utopia.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-11-2013, 11:55 AM
(07-11-2013 09:19 AM)germanyt Wrote:  You would have to further define utopia.

I assumed, for this hypothetical, it would be my ideal existence. Now, I admit I don't even know what I want, but if some invisible man in the sky knew everything, including what I want, then sure, let's go killing.

That sounds selfish, but would like everyone to be happy.

07-11-2013, 01:14 PM
(05-11-2013 09:30 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Would you murder one innocent person if it meant that from here on out, for all time, there would be no murder, rape, assault, theft, corruption, etc? Everything else in society and nature is the same.

Whether it's due to alien intervention, or some some sort of rational scientific psychological explanation, the logistics doesn't matter.

Would you accept that deal?

If not, how to you rationalize killing/torturing present/future billions over 1 person?
If yes, at what number would you stop at?

Your statement "the logistics of this don't matter" seems odd to me. I'm given no context of the event, no explanation, and expected to make a moral choice. So any answer I give is going to be colored by that.

I have to say no. First: the ONLY situation where this is a logical question is to kill someone in such a way that the world and all in it are so outraged by the event that they stop in response and come after me. I become a hunted person and while there is no more violence so long as I live to threaten them, as soon as the specter of my crime is gone, so is the utopia (the argument I used against Ozymandius' actions in Watchmen, btw). This is essentially just buying time in order to solve existing problems, but it doesn't fix the underlying problems that CAUSE the violence in the first place, some of which can not be solved.

Second: if by killing this person I somehow remove the free will of the rest of the world. People need to have the right to choose for themselves, and I have no right to choose for them. If free will only leads to pain, and the only solution is to live in a world with a bunch of automatons, then you can make an argument against it, but I still believe that free will is better than mindless devotion to "good."

Third: No. I am not responsible for the moral actions of others. This is the same question as "if you were sitting on one side of a glass window and a lunatic on the other, and each of you had a button, and his killed four billion and yours killed two billion, and each of your buttons disabled the other, would you press it?" Absolutely not. I AM NOT responsible for the actions of others. I am not responsible for the actions of billions of people who might not commit violent acts. If they can stop, then they should not need a human sacrifice to do it. You can not ethically ask me to step onto a stone slab and to sacrifice my own moral compass for the sake of others, I WILL NOT be a human sacrifice and I WILL NOT participate in it for the sake of anyone else.