Would you rather be a vegan or a vegetarian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 12:26 PM
RE: Would you rather be a vegan or a vegetarian
(12-04-2014 08:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 08:30 PM)Drealgrin Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqqGZBRBLcM

"Short answer, being vegan just makes you better than most people."

Aww that's cute.

[Image: cc05f63a3cbbdabe8c1e62d588a92f.jpg][Image: 90585a4f675d5a36e128d0918b26af.jpg]

Now that I look at this again, where doe the whole eating animals is murder thing come from? I mean murder is not the right word due to the defenition. Here let me show you

Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder) and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder)
Slang. something extremely difficult or perilous: That final exam was murder!
a group or flock of crows.
verb (used with object)
Law. to kill by an act constituting murder.
to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously.
to spoil or mar by bad performance, representation, pronunciation, etc.: The tenor murdered the aria.

The only one that one can argue is murder is number 5, but even then it depends on the person you brought the meat from. So saying eating meat is murder must seems to mean that everybody tortures animals before eating them, not including that animals that are tortured and not eaten can be left outside an eaten by other wild animals.

Just my 2 cents.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2014, 12:29 PM
(25-06-2014 12:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 12:04 PM)KyleRuby Wrote:  This is true.

No it makes you hypocritical and smug. Simply by using a computer you are using animal products as it is impossible not to. So just because you have taken an illogical political stance as a diet does not make you any better than anyone else, if slightly less healthy overall than someone with a more balanced diet.

Anyone who thinks there can be a meaningful distinction drawn between the effect on non-human lives of a single person's life in modern society depending on whether or not they eat direct animal products is either uninformed or just doesn't care. The difference is immaterial.

Most veganism is based on very shallow and emotive reasoning.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
25-06-2014, 12:31 PM
(25-06-2014 12:26 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 08:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Aww that's cute.

[Image: cc05f63a3cbbdabe8c1e62d588a92f.jpg][Image: 90585a4f675d5a36e128d0918b26af.jpg]

Now that I look at this again, where doe the whole eating animals is murder thing come from? I mean murder is not the right word due to the defenition. Here let me show you

Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder) and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder)
Slang. something extremely difficult or perilous: That final exam was murder!
a group or flock of crows.
verb (used with object)
Law. to kill by an act constituting murder.
to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously.
to spoil or mar by bad performance, representation, pronunciation, etc.: The tenor murdered the aria.

The only one that one can argue is murder is number 5, but even then it depends on the person you brought the meat from. So saying eating meat is murder must seems to mean that everybody tortures animals before eating them, not including that animals that are tortured and not eaten can be left outside an eaten by other wild animals.

Just my 2 cents.

You are attempting to use facts and logic when dealing with religious fanatics. Veganism is not based on anything but feels. Even a cursory knowledge of human anatomy reveals we are omnivores and any argument against this is no longer based in the real world.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-06-2014, 12:32 PM
(25-06-2014 12:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 12:04 PM)KyleRuby Wrote:  This is true.

No it makes you hypocritical and smug. Simply by using a computer you are using animal products as it is impossible not to. So just because you have taken an illogical political stance as a diet does not make you any better than anyone else, if slightly less healthy overall than someone with a more balanced diet.

It was a joke. A little sensitive, are we?
25-06-2014, 12:33 PM
(25-06-2014 12:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 12:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it makes you hypocritical and smug. Simply by using a computer you are using animal products as it is impossible not to. So just because you have taken an illogical political stance as a diet does not make you any better than anyone else, if slightly less healthy overall than someone with a more balanced diet.

Anyone who thinks there can be a meaningful distinction drawn between the effect on non-human lives of a single person's life in modern society depending on whether or not they eat direct animal products is either uninformed or just doesn't care. The difference is immaterial.

cjlr is here so that means

[Image: shit-just-got-real.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
25-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Damn everyone starts raging when Veganism comes up. Is it cognitive dissonance that makes people lash out? Do they feel threatened by people who have decided to reject the status quo for a stronger moral foundation?
25-06-2014, 12:37 PM
(25-06-2014 12:35 PM)KyleRuby Wrote:  Damn everyone starts raging when Veganism comes up. Is it cognitive dissonance that makes people lash out? Do they feel threatened by people who have decided to reject the status quo for a stronger moral foundation?

No it is just fun knocking smug idiots back down to size.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-06-2014, 12:39 PM
(25-06-2014 12:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 12:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it makes you hypocritical and smug. Simply by using a computer you are using animal products as it is impossible not to. So just because you have taken an illogical political stance as a diet does not make you any better than anyone else, if slightly less healthy overall than someone with a more balanced diet.

Could you rephrase this? It's worded strangely. So, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Distinction between what and what?
25-06-2014, 12:40 PM
(25-06-2014 12:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 12:35 PM)KyleRuby Wrote:  Damn everyone starts raging when Veganism comes up. Is it cognitive dissonance that makes people lash out? Do they feel threatened by people who have decided to reject the status quo for a stronger moral foundation?

No it is just fun knocking smug idiots back down to size.

Seems to me the ones bashing Veganism are being incredibly smug.
25-06-2014, 12:40 PM
(25-06-2014 12:35 PM)KyleRuby Wrote:  Do they feel threatened by people who have decided to reject the status quo for a stronger moral foundation?

Perhaps it's the self-righteousness of those who wander in and claim the mantle of a stronger moral foundation, despite there being no bases on which to plant such a claim, that is slightly annoying?

That's not a particularly winning attitude when theists do it, either.

I certainly wouldn't characterise my single post in this thread as "raging", either; so there's that

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post