Would you rather die young or live to an old age

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 07:11 PM by Juliana.)
Would you rather die young or live to an old age
I find this subject interesting. I have never wanted to live to an old age.

This is a challenging subject for me. If I were fighting for my life such as being attacked then yes I would fight. I think that is a natural instinct and one that is almost impossible to ignore. However, If I were faced with living with no legs or having to go through chemo, or severe mental or neurollogical illness would I do whatever it takes to live to see another day?

I am afriad of pain, cuz pain hurts. Seeing the ones I love struggling to deal with my disease or disability or disfuntion would severely hurt. Struggling to survive only to prolong death does not appeal to me. Its not something I want to do.

I would much rather die younger and live with my full mobility and strength than live to be old and unable to get around on my own and take of myself.

For me the quality of life far out weighs the quantity. I have said that I have an expiration date of 60. If I am healthy and happy then of course I would want to live longer but if I have to struggle I think that 60is a fine age.

Do you have an expiration date?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 11:36 PM
RE: Would you rather die young or live to an old age
(04-01-2014 11:21 PM)Juliana Wrote:  I find this subject interesting. I have never wanted to live to an old age.

This is a challenging subject for me. If I were fighting for my life such as being attacked then yes I would fight. I think that is a natural instinct and one that is almost impossible to ignore. However, If I were faced with living with no legs or having to go through chemo, or severe mental or neurollogical illness would I do whatever it takes to live to see another day?

I am afriad of pain, cuz pain hurts. Seeing the ones I love struggling to deal with my disease or disability or disfuntion would severely hurt. Struggling to survive only to prolong death does not appeal to me. Its not something I want to do.

I would much rather die younger and live with my full mobility and strength than live to be old and unable to get around on my own and take of myself.

For me the quality of life far out weighs the quantity. I have said that I have an expiration date of 60. If I am healthy and happy then of course I would want to live longer but if I have to struggle I think that 60is a fine age.

Do you have an expiration date?

For now I agree with you, but I think if I have grandchildren one day I might change my mind.
04-01-2014, 11:38 PM
I am already too old to die young...so there's that.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post
04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
The older I get, the more I'd like to see a ripe ole age. Given certain conditions, that is....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-01-2014, 11:49 PM
In my youth as a hard rockin guitar weildin shred god (in my head) I thought I wanted to and would live fast and die young! Smile ... Then I embraced fitness training and became happier within myself. You only live once and all that, so now, in my late 30s, I think I'd like to see 100! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
04-01-2014, 11:49 PM
I think anything less than 100,000 Earth years is too young. I'm sure I won't make it there, but I expect to see at least 80 or 90 thousand.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
05-01-2014, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 12:06 AM by Juliana.)
This is why the world is so interesting.

I understand all views of this subject. I just may differ from others.

I do not have children so I will never be a grandparent in the normal sense. I will however call my nieces children my grand kids and she is OK with this. Her fiance and all his family consider me her mother and expect me to look at it the same way.

I understand what you are saying Evenheathen and I respect all views however, the older I get the more I see that can be disheartening. The cruelty that I see, the pain that I see, the thing I call unfair that I see, they all make me think what is this all for and is it worth the trouble. I know my darling girl understands as she has lived through enough pain and loss herself. She has no grandparents she has no mother or father or siblings.

I know I dont stand alone. I have a friend who has 5 children and although she loves them of course, she says she wishes she never had kids and if she could go back she would not have children. She has an expiration date but hers is 70.

I look back over the last 40 plus years and think WOW this is enough its just been enough. In some ways it seems like an eternity and then in other ways it seems like it just happened.

My dad was 73 when he died. She died for almost 20 years. If he hadnt been on numerous meds and had several surgeries he would have died at 57. Is that life and is it worth it at all costs?
05-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Jules,
Yup, I'm with you on this.

My plan is to drink and smoke my way into oblivion by the time I'm 30.

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
05-01-2014, 05:28 AM
I enjoy life, and I like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Age is relative, as you get older you move the bar for old age up. So, age itself has nothing to do with it, it's health and strength that matter. When my body or mind fail me, I intend to take the exit.

Meanwhile, I intend to keep enjoying myself.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-01-2014, 04:41 PM
I would like to die young at a very old age. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post