Would you steal money?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 08:42 AM
RE: Would you steal money?
There was a case here recently where a bank employee made a mistake and instead of giving a customer a $4,000 dollar loan, they transferred $4,000,000.
What did that person do? They pissed off over seas the same day.

BUT, as to be expected, police simply went into their bank account and seized most of the money back. The person was extradited back here and had they're property and such seized to make up the million or so the person was able to shift into other bank accounts. That person is now sitting in jail somewhere for the next 10years or whatever.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Winston Churchill had a strained relationship with one Lady Astor and there are several stories about the various quips that passed between them, most of which are probably apocryphal, but funny nonetheless. One of these exchanges is supposed to have gone as follows:

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Astor: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Astor: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

I think the point here is obvious but just in case: if you are willing to steal any amount you are a thief. May as well take the $5,000 too.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
14-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I would steal if I was starving. Short of that - no.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-09-2012, 09:07 AM
(14-09-2012 08:59 AM)BnW Wrote:  Winston Churchill had a strained relationship with one Lady Astor and there are several stories about the various quips that passed between them, most of which are probably apocryphal, but funny nonetheless. One of these exchanges is supposed to have gone as follows:

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Astor: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Astor: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

I think the point here is obvious but just in case: if you are willing to steal any amount you are a thief. May as well take the $5,000 too.

Well no it doesn't quite work that way.
Stealing $5 and stealing $5,000 and stealing $5,000,000 are all very different due to risk and consequence.
If I'm caught stealing $5, it's a slap on the wrist. If I'm caught stealing $5,000 it's community service. If I'm caught stealing $5,000,000 it's lengthy jail time.

Sure stealing is stealing, but it's like comparing red apples to green apples.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
14-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I took the question to be one about morality, not consequences. In terms of consequences, and associated risks, obviously $5 and $5,000 and $5,000,000,000 are all vastly different in what happens. Based on recent events, $5 is a fine, $5,000 is a prison term, $5,000,000,000 is a Presidential Medal of Freedom or some such shit.

But, in terms of the basic morality of it, stealing is stealing.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
14-09-2012, 11:08 AM
It depended on the situation. I would never steal money from a business that I worked at because you have to have a certain amount of pride in what you do. Taking away money will ultimately impact your job in the long run. Even if you never get caught, the missing money will eventually get noticed. This would create a very negative work environment as everyone would accuse everyone of being a thief. Finding a wallet would be a different story. I once heard of guy at one of my company's stores who turned in a wallet that he had found with $6,000 in it. All he got was an award for integrity and his name and picture in a company-wide publication. He didn't get any kind of reward from the owner, nor did he get any kind of a raise. That would have been extremely tempting to keep some or all of it, especially if I had needed the money. Why the hell would someone be carrying around $6000 in a wallet anyway? I could see if it was a money pouch being taken to a bank, but something you carry around in your pocket? That's just crazy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Depends on who I'm stealing from. I'd steal from an investment banker, but not a human being.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 4 users Like Phaedrus's post
14-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Question RE: Would you steal money?
Code:
[quote='Phaedrus' pid='170004' dateline='1347643648']
Depends on who I'm stealing from. I'd steal from an investment banker, but not a human being.
[/quote]
Lol, now that's thinking.
14-09-2012, 12:32 PM
For some, it kind of depends on what is considered "stealing".

How many here are at work... on the company computer... on company time? You might not consider it stealing, but it's a sure bet the company could be convinced of it. Some companies clock that shit down to the last millisecond and just might utilize it for future reference to sway some random disciplinary action.

I've seen it - it's one reason I'll probably never be a corporate manager again - I hated seeing people treated like slaves and worse, thieving slaves. That whole mindset is disgraceful. It runs along a fine line of "entitlement" - something I take a bit of an issue with.

My two little Wall Street boyfriends have a different view but then, they've already fucked and thieved their way into their fortunes. They most certainly see stealing as an "opportunity" if it is of benefit to them, but if it just benefits someone else, well then it's stealing. Life has a way of providing everyone with one asshole... while some of us are gifted aplenty. Dodgy

My answer is much like Dom's; short of stealing food for a starving person - no.
Besides, stealing is stressful and therefore: unhealthy. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-09-2012, 12:53 PM
(14-09-2012 12:32 PM)kim Wrote:  My two little Wall Street boyfriends ...

Huh

And I thought there was hope for us. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post