Would you vote for Public Restrictions of Religious Expressions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2016, 03:21 PM
Would you vote for Public Restrictions of Religious Expressions?
France has secular laws that forbid a lot of public religious expression. This is a good article on that issue and the issues that they are dealing with since the attacks in Nov 2015.

I have to say I'm in favor of some forced public secularism. I don't care what other believe but I'm getting damn tired of their delusions, not only being given preference but also being foisted on me even in public spaces. I was not surprised was to see that they've found many supervisors are not willing to push the more radicalized employees for fear of reprisals.

Not that Xtians in the USA would ever allow religious expression restrictions in public but... would you vote for it?

After Paris Attacks, France Struggles With Faith on the Job

"A week after the terrorist attacks in France last November, Bachir B., a passenger screener at Orly airport south of Paris, was called into his manager’s office. Bachir, a devout Muslim who wears a thick beard in keeping with his faith, was ordered to trim his facial hair. His boss even offered to buy him a beard clipper as a birthday gift.

While supervisors had sometimes reminded him of a company dress code requiring whiskers to be kept “tidy” and “short,” Bachir said that the rule had been enforced only sporadically over his six years working for Securitas, a private security company. This time, the manager made clear that the new crackdown was “because of what was happening in the news,” said Bachir, who asked that his last name not be used to protect his family’s privacy.

Bachir trimmed his beard that weekend. But he said his boss sent him home about 10 days later, again citing his failure to comply with the dress code. Soon after, Bachir received a registered letter from Securitas, saying that he was fired."

cont...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/afte...li=BBnb7Kz

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2016, 03:45 PM
RE: Would you vote for Public Restrictions of Religious Expressions?
Depends, permanent ones using government funding on government property, yes. But private displays on private property no. We still live in an open society, and as full of crap religions are, we cannot force it out of existence without becoming monsters ourselves. The best we can do is use reason, debate and blasphemy to keep it on a leash.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Brian37's post
20-02-2016, 03:54 PM
There are jobs that require very strict grooming be followed. So, I am not sure where I fall with this. For instance, my husband and son work at Pepsi. Men with beards have to wear nets over their beards just like people have to wear hairnets. I assume that to be the case in most food processing environments.

Military, law enforcement...lots of different restrictions that I lean toward thinking should be required of all regardless of faith practices.

I need to think on this one for bit. Consider I suppose then we have to look at everything that someone can consider an expression of faith. Can we ban people from bowing their heads and silently praying over their meal? Or are we just looking at hair/beards/clothing/hats/veils/jewelry?

If grooming requirements are clear when someone accepts a job and they don't follow those requirements, there will be consequences. If the rules of the company change usually there is a time period by when everyone must comply.

Gets pretty sticky. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-02-2016, 04:02 PM
(20-02-2016 03:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There are jobs that require very strict grooming be followed. So, I am not sure where I fall with this. For instance, my husband and son work at Pepsi. Men with beards have to wear nets over their beards just like people have to wear hairnets. I assume that to be the case in most food processing environments.

Military, law enforcement...lots of different restrictions that I lean toward thinking should be required of all regardless of faith practices.

I need to think on this one for bit. Consider I suppose then we have to look at everything that someone can consider an expression of faith. Can we ban people from bowing their heads and silently praying over their meal? Or are we just looking at hair/beards/clothing/hats/veils/jewelry?

If grooming requirements are clear when someone accepts a job and they don't follow those requirements, there will be consequences. If the rules of the company change usually there is a time period by when everyone must comply.

Yes and one of the points made in the article was the issue of employees insisting on a pork free cafeteria. That is bullshit. You don't want to eat pork, fine, don't but what you don't get to do is keep me from eating it. I would absolutely vote for the religious to not be able to require businesses and public spaces to concede to their religious demands or doctrine anything that infringes on the rights of others.

However, I do not care what clothing they wear as long as they are still identifiable. No masks, or facial coverings.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
20-02-2016, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2016 04:29 PM by cactus.)
If a private company has a dress code in place for its employees, should there be a law stating that the dress code must apply equally to all employees, regardless of their age, race, gender, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs? I dunno either. I don't feel very strongly about this either way, but I tend to lean slightly more toward "the company can hire and fire people for any bullshit reason they want."

and now let's take a ride down the slippery slope. Wheeeeee...

My religion dictates that I must have facial tattoos and a blue mohawk.
"I'm sorry, sir. You can't work in the nursing home. You'll scare the old ladies."
Why are you discriminating against meeeee? Hobo

My religion dictates that I must keep my face covered at all times.
"I'm sorry ma'am, you can't play the part of Fanny Brice in Funny Girl. Perhaps there's an open stagehand position that may interest you."
" ♫ Ain't nobody gonna rain on my Hajj! ♪"

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
20-02-2016, 04:38 PM
(20-02-2016 04:25 PM)cactus Wrote:  My religion dictates that I must have facial tattoos and a blue mohawk.
"I'm sorry, sir. You can't work in the nursing home. You'll scare the old ladies."

The company where I work actually has restrictions on 'unnatural' hair color, face and neck tattoos, and facial piercings. They are for the reason you state...we have techs that go into nursing homes to draw blood, take X-rays, and other medical specimen collection. The reason for the rule is to not frighten the elderly or infirm.

The rule applies to everyone...regardless of their claimed beliefs. They have to sign an agreement saying they understand that it's a job requirement.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
20-02-2016, 05:24 PM
(20-02-2016 04:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The company where I work actually has restrictions on 'unnatural' hair color, face and neck tattoos, and facial piercings. They are for the reason you state...we have techs that go into nursing homes to draw blood, take X-rays, and other medical specimen collection. The reason for the rule is to not frighten the elderly or infirm.

The rule applies to everyone...regardless of their claimed beliefs. They have to sign an agreement saying they understand that it's a job requirement.

Brown people with beards are probably even scarier to them. Just sayin'. Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
20-02-2016, 05:36 PM
If you don't like an employer's rules, don't take the job.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
20-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Yes. Australia is a secular country.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-02-2016, 06:54 PM
(20-02-2016 04:02 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(20-02-2016 03:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There are jobs that require very strict grooming be followed. So, I am not sure where I fall with this. For instance, my husband and son work at Pepsi. Men with beards have to wear nets over their beards just like people have to wear hairnets. I assume that to be the case in most food processing environments.

Yes and one of the points made in the article was the issue of employees insisting on a pork free cafeteria. That is bullshit. You don't want to eat pork, fine, don't but what you don't get to do is keep me from eating it. I would absolutely vote for the religious to not be able to require businesses and public spaces to concede to their religious demands or doctrine anything that infringes on the rights of others.

However, I do not care what clothing they wear as long as they are still identifiable. No masks, or facial coverings.

Maybe in the long run, Fundamentalist Islam is just not compatible with Western society. It may take several generations for them (and the West) to sort that out.
If they can't tolerate the social norms of the country they move to, screw em, go somewhere else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post