Would you vote for Public Restrictions of Religious Expressions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2016 10:35 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: Would you vote for Public Restrictions of Religious Expressions?
It depends. If their expression violates the rights of others, or common sense (no niqab for your driver's license photo, that sort of thing), well, no, they don't get to express it, if I'm in charge. If it doesn't harm me (a manger scene on private property) rat's ass is my official position.

I don't care if they publicly pray in a non-disturbing manner, want to put a cross on their own front lawn, or have a fish emblem on their car's fender. No opening public business with prayers of any sort, no putting a cross on public land, no Ten Commandments on the courthouse wall.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-02-2016, 01:15 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2016 01:26 AM by Nurse.)
I'd like to add no public prayer at government sanctioned events , such as town hall meetings, presidential speeches, etc.

A very strict no public prayer, including student led, at public schools and their events. No religious clubs at public schools, such as Youth for Christ - they would meet during school hours at one of the schools I attended.

Honestly, I'd be all for there being ONLY secular private schools permitted, not religious, including homeschool umbrellas. INCLUDING AMISH. Add to that no homeschooling period unless there are special needs for that student that cannot be met with their school. If the public school cannot meet the child's needs but a local private school can, the city will pay for the child's education. If neither can, then homeschool. This ensures our children receive a legitimate education (I'm looking at you quiverfull) and helps circumvent abuse.

If you want your child to learn about Jesus or Allah, you teach it to them in the home, not waste precious time at school that should be focused on learning how to read, math, how to think. Learning about loaves of bread and fish feeding the multitude is not going to help them land that accounting job or get them into medical school.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
21-02-2016, 01:21 AM
Also, appropriate clothing for girls during PE (physical education) no exceptions. When the girls get to middle school and start dressing out, if it's 95F outside, it's fucking ridiculous to make that child wear either a long skirt or long pants with long sleeves. Winter time, again, no skirts (Pentecostals) - pants or shorts. When they are adults or not at school, then they can choose to wear their heinous blue jean skirts.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
21-02-2016, 01:22 AM
Don't care about what god's flock is doing on private property but I would vote yes for public restrictions. Public space don't belong to deluded.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
21-02-2016, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2016 07:10 AM by DLJ.)
Out of interest, why aren't the elderly frightened by earrings?

Regarding the OP, something like the Monasteries Act (if that's what it was called) is due for a reprisal.

About time Notre Dame and the Sacré Coeur became art galleries.

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2016, 07:51 AM
(21-02-2016 06:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Out of interest, why aren't the elderly frightened by earrings?

Because people are sheep, and need to be told what's appropriate, instead of discerning these things for themselves.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
21-02-2016, 07:58 AM
(21-02-2016 06:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Out of interest, why aren't the elderly frightened by earrings?

Regarding the OP, something like the Monasteries Act (if that's what it was called) is due for a reprisal.

About time Notre Dame and the Sacré Coeur became art galleries.

Angel

Don’t forget the Vatican. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-02-2016, 08:05 AM
(21-02-2016 01:15 AM)Nurse Wrote:  A very strict no public prayer, including student led, at public schools and their events. No religious clubs at public schools, such as Youth for Christ - they would meet during school hours at one of the schools I attended.

Were they doing this during a "study and do your homework" type of class or something? If so, that seems pretty bullshit to me. "Oh look, these kids are privileged and get to skip their homeroom class every day to go to Jesus club in the library while the rest of you heathens have to sit here and study."

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
21-02-2016, 08:23 AM
I think all private businesses should be able to require any employee who is representing the company to maintain a certain dress code or manner of grooming. The company should be able to craft the image that they want their clients to see, and employment at these companies is voluntary.

But that’s a private business, and I realize that this is about public spaces. If there was a law in place that prevented me from coving my hair if I wanted to, wearing long skirts and long sleeves, or from wearing a religious necklace, I would move from that place and take my skills and abilities with me. At a job with a private company, I would agree to the dress code before accepting employment, and choose to make any accommodations of my own free will. In public spaces, where I’m also paying the taxes to support, I will dress how I want to dress with respect to common sense modesty (not showing up to the court house in a bikini.)
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
21-02-2016, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2016 10:51 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(21-02-2016 08:23 AM)Aliza Wrote:  In public spaces, where I’m also paying the taxes to support, I will dress how I want to dress with respect to common sense modesty (not showing up to the court house in a bikini.)

No point to me filing that lawsuit, then ...?
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post