Would you vote for Public Restrictions of Religious Expressions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 10:45 AM
RE: Would you vote for Public Restrictions of Religious Expressions?
(21-02-2016 08:05 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 01:15 AM)Nurse Wrote:  A very strict no public prayer, including student led, at public schools and their events. No religious clubs at public schools, such as Youth for Christ - they would meet during school hours at one of the schools I attended.

Were they doing this during a "study and do your homework" type of class or something? If so, that seems pretty bullshit to me. "Oh look, these kids are privileged and get to skip their homeroom class every day to go to Jesus club in the library while the rest of you heathens have to sit here and study."

I can't remember what all of the club options were (guess who went to youth for Christ), but I think there were also things like 4-H and FFA (Future Farmers of America - this was a very rural school), it was a once a week kind of thing. The problem is that Christianity has so much guilt built into it, even if you want to do the other clubs, you think it makes you a "bad" kid to do anything else when presented with a Jesus option. Almost everyone went to YFC.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
21-02-2016, 12:06 PM
For government, and for establishments and workers that serve the public, I would prefer not having religious stuff. For individual people apart from public service, I want a very high bar for restricting anything they say or do. I would rather have people publicly flailing themselves for their thought crimes on behalf of imaginary authoritarian parents, than have some real authoritarian force compelling them not to. (Of course, I would prefer to have neither, but if I had to choose...)
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
22-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Personally I think that when the government gets around to legislating how you fucken well *dress* then it's time for the revolution. I'll be at the picket lines naked Dodgy

I also think that the treatment of the guy in the OP was pretty fucken shabby. Employer was an arsehole, regardless that he was a legal arsehole or not.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post