Would you want to go to heaven?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Would you want to go to heaven?
Would you want to go to heaven if it were real? Why do you want to go to heaven?

Let us say that heaven was a place where you live forever and your life is basically perfect. There you are watched over constantly by an ominscient, omnipotent and ominbenevolent god who does sincerely care about your well being and ensures that everything is good.

Would you be frightened by the fact that such a being would have constant access to the contents of your mind and see everything you did? Or the fact that you'd be living forever? Does the idea of having your life being perfect, or far better than it is now, frighten you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Would you want to go to heaven?
Nope.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Not interested. The very idea of eternal life is a horrible one.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
04-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Not into fantasy. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-06-2015, 11:11 AM
May I ask why you would not want to go to heaven?

Would you still not want to go even if God was truly benevolent, as opposed to the God portrayed in the Bible.
04-06-2015, 11:14 AM
God: main part of the fantasy I'm not into. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
04-06-2015, 11:14 AM
If God was a truly loving being who accepted all people (regardless of religion/sexual preference), did not want animals sacrificed in his honor, protected us from suffering and the forces of nature, was against war and destruction, did not expect to be worshiped, wanted all people treated equally, and did not threaten people with eternal damnation and allowed everyone and everything into heaven...then yes, I would want to go to heaven.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
04-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Not frightened, but the idea is totally unappealing. Without challenges and difficulties there's no impetus to learn or improve. I can't imagine anything more boring than the typical portrayal of heaven.

If the ability to be bored is taken away then I'm no longer me and that's not appealing either. If this heaven includes eternal praising of the head honcho then it is as Hitchens described it, an eternal North Korea.

The idea that life is finite is much more reassuring than any heaven I've ever heard of. It'd be nice to be able to extend it and to be able to decide when enough is enough, but I'll take oblivion over eternity any day.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
04-06-2015, 11:22 AM
(04-06-2015 11:11 AM)Geopum Wrote:  May I ask why you would not want to go to heaven?

Would you still not want to go even if God was truly benevolent, as opposed to the God portrayed in the Bible.

Anything that can be done will be done, anything that can be learned I will learn. And that is only a tip of the eternity timeframe. Even without the compulsory praise and worship, the thought of eternity of any consciousness is equatable to pointless, meaningless existence. Ignore any higher power for a moment, what would the point be? There would be no motivation to do anything, because anything that can be done, will get done. So what would be the point? If there is a higher power, again, what is the point? The problem is still the same. If the picture of Revelation is correct, that is a truly horrific idea because you must praise and worship this thing literally forever. If you want to take the argument that there is no time in heaven, there would still be no point. Additionally, you couldn't do anything because to do something requires time. The concept of heaven is the second most ridiculous concept humans have ever conjured up. The first being god itself.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
04-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Thank you for your response!

(04-06-2015 11:22 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Ignore any higher power for a moment, what would the point be? There would be no motivation to do anything, because anything that can be done, will get done. So what would be the point?

May I ask what 'the point' of your life is now?