Would you want to go to heaven?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: Would you want to go to heaven?
If heaven were assumed to exist, then I'd want to go there simply because the alternative would be hell. I'd be pissed off about my lack of options, though. It sounds like a boring existence. A life (or afterlife) without challenges is void of purpose. We're defined by the problems we overcome in an effort to survive, and it is along those lines which we evolved. Every feeling we have is based on a need to overcome some kind of obstacle that would have otherwise resulted in our extinction. Why would I want to just sit around in paradise staring at flowers and rainbows and shit like that all day? The biggest problem I'd encounter is having to learn to play a harp. On the flipside, hell, a life with insurmountable challenges, would probably suck worse.

Valhalla I could deal with.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-06-2015, 11:41 AM
(04-06-2015 11:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If heaven were assumed to exist, then I'd want to go there simply because the alternative would be hell. I'd be pissed off about my lack of options, though. It sounds like a boring existence. A life (or afterlife) without challenges is void of purpose. We're defined by the problems we overcome in an effort to survive, and it is along those lines which we evolved. Every feeling we have is based on a need to overcome some kind of obstacle that would have otherwise resulted in our extinction. Why would I want to just sit around in paradise staring at flowers and rainbows and shit like that all day? The biggest problem I'd encounter is having to learn to play a harp. On the flipside, hell, a life with insurmountable challenges, would probably suck worse.

Valhalla I could deal with.

So there is a sort of heaven you'd be happy with? Like if heaven wasn't the traditional type, but if one was made for you, personally? Where you would have the exact amount of conflict and activity for your life to be maximally good?

For this hypothetical, consider that the alternative is oblivion, not Hell.
04-06-2015, 11:45 AM
(04-06-2015 11:29 AM)Geopum Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 11:22 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Ignore any higher power for a moment, what would the point be? There would be no motivation to do anything, because anything that can be done, will get done. So what would be the point?

May I ask what 'the point' of your life is now?

Sure. That main focus for me is to endeavor to leave the world better than I found it. That is not for my own sake but for my three children who mean the world to me and the people who I interact with. The things I can do are everything to making their day better, trying to make a better drug, or some environmental contribution.

The fact that I know that I can die by one of a myriad of reasons at any time is why I am motivated to make the best of every day. I know I can't take every day for granted, the only thing I know for certain is that today I am just one day closer. That is why I always give my wife and kids a kiss before I go to bed each night and before I go to work is because I don't know if I will ever see them again and if something does happen, I want their last memory of me to be that I loved them. The very reason I am aware of my own mortality, the finite nature of my life, and the finality of my own death are what motivate me to try to make someone's life better. The fact that I want to learn more and improve myself is another reason. If I was alive for 1000 years, I could read every book ever written and know it so the only thing that I could read was the latest stuff. But eventually, I would have nothing left to learn and that is JUST the beginning of eternity. Without the finality of death, there would likely be no meaning for one's existence.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
04-06-2015, 11:49 AM
No, I wouldn't want to go to heaven, at least not the Christian heaven. I especially wouldn't want to spend eternity with the people who are certain of heaven.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
04-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Only if it's FSM heaven.....

They have a beer volcano and a stripper factory.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-06-2015, 11:59 AM
I've never liked the idea of living forever, even when I was a believer, so no, I would not want to go to heaven. I would also side with Steven Fry's point of view that would you want to be with a diety that created such pain and misery?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
04-06-2015, 12:00 PM
OK, I amend what I said. If it's Biker's heaven, I'm in.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-06-2015, 12:04 PM
(04-06-2015 11:11 AM)Geopum Wrote:  May I ask why you would not want to go to heaven?

Would you still not want to go even if God was truly benevolent, as opposed to the God portrayed in the Bible.

I think it would be dull. Eternity is a long time. You would have to drop my IQ a lot to be happy as a deity's pet.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-06-2015, 12:42 PM
I would not want it. Eternal "life" is not something that I find particulary interesting.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-06-2015, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 01:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-06-2015 11:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If heaven were assumed to exist, then I'd want to go there simply because the alternative would be hell. ... On the flipside, hell, a life with insurmountable challenges, would probably suck worse.

At least in hell I would have the chance to find purpose in my Sisyphean existence as I descended the hill to push the rock back up once again. In heaven I'd just be singing hallelujah forever. No offense to Leonard Cohen but that would become hell quick. An endless earworm. No wonder Lucifer bailed.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post