Yeaaaaaah........ Drooling

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WalkingSnake's post
04-06-2015, 06:04 PM
RE: Would you want to go to heaven?
Eternity is to long. If I could choose to end it when I was ready it might be different.
04-06-2015, 06:09 PM
(04-06-2015 04:19 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 11:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Without challenges and difficulties there's no impetus to learn or improve.
There is still pure curiosity. I find that plenty of impetus. I find constant challenges / difficulties / hassles to be a disincentive, particularly when in practice the connection between effort / intention and outcomes is as flaky as it generally is.

Given eternity you'd have time to satisfy curiosity and you'd come to a point where it just wouldn't be worth the effort any more. There's always tomorrow. Then again, I may just be more of a procrastinator than you are.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-06-2015, 06:13 PM
(04-06-2015 10:52 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Would you want to go to heaven if it were real? Why do you want to go to heaven?

Let us say that heaven was a place where you live forever and your life is basically perfect. There you are watched over constantly by an ominscient, omnipotent and ominbenevolent god who does sincerely care about your well being and ensures that everything is good.

Would you be frightened by the fact that such a being would have constant access to the contents of your mind and see everything you did? Or the fact that you'd be living forever? Does the idea of having your life being perfect, or far better than it is now, frighten you?

No, I would not want to go to heaven.
And no, the concept of a 'perfect life' does not frighten me.

Why would I not want to?

Because a life without end is a meaningless one.
Humans by nature value that which is limited. The very fact of our inevitable death is, for me, what gives my life meaning; I only have a small time to live, it gives me impetus and purpose.
To remove that time is to remove the purpose and value of my life.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-06-2015, 06:20 PM
If the God of the Bible were real, I see the natural history according to the Bible as just a really bad control experiment. Get rid of all the crap that was causing problems before and start fresh:

the Flood
Sodom and Gomorah
Jesus with a new plan
And now the coming rapture

And Heaven just sounds to me like it'll just happen all over again. What version of the Tree are we going to have up there?

Oh, shit, seriously, THAT would make a good story. Okay, so it's all done. We're all either in Heaven or in Hell. Everything's going great until....

anyone?

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
04-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Will there be vintage port and baroque horns? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-06-2015, 06:56 PM
I have quite a large extended family, lots of aunts, uncles and many many more cousins.
Individually I get along great with all of them, but put them all together (usually takes a wedding or funeral for this to happen) and they tear chunks off each other within an hour of the bar opening (before you ask, yes, my family is half Irish Tongue )

It's difficult to put up with their collective bullshit once per year, but the idea of spending all eternity surrounded by my family sounds like a fate worse than hell to me.

And for that reason, I'm out! Wink

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 1 user Likes LostLegend's post
04-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Once you're in heaven, is it possible to get kicked out if you misbehave? If not, that opens many possibilities for a more interesting heaven.

'Murican Canadian
04-06-2015, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:12 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)

[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-06-2015, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't want to go to the heaven you described, no. Just the thought of the constant presence of a being that can see my thoughts and is constantly fussing over me and literally can't leave me alone is enough to turn me off. Sounds fucking annoying.

I would however love to live a lot longer than we do. I'd love to see humans venture out and explore space, or find a way to make life here more sustainable and really awesome for everyone and for us all to learn to get along with each other. That would be a heaven much greater than described in the OP or any religion I know of.

I agree with others though that living eternally would suck. I might want to be immortal if I could end it when I choose, but if that were the case I'm not sure I'd ever have the guts. "Maybe I'll discover something to break my boredom tomorrow."
[+] 1 user Likes Dex's post