Would you want to go to heaven?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2015, 12:50 AM
RE: Would you want to go to heaven?
(04-06-2015 10:52 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Would you want to go to heaven if it were real? Why do you want to go to heaven?

Let us say that heaven was a place where you live forever and your life is basically perfect. There you are watched over constantly by an ominscient, omnipotent and ominbenevolent god who does sincerely care about your well being and ensures that everything is good.

Would you be frightened by the fact that such a being would have constant access to the contents of your mind and see everything you did? Or the fact that you'd be living forever? Does the idea of having your life being perfect, or far better than it is now, frighten you?

IF it were real, and perfect as you described, maybe... though I suspect there's a bunch of logical self-contradictions tied up in the notion of "perfect", similar to the ones tied up in all the "omni"s, that would make the whole thing impossible. For example, "perfect" might involve some degree of adversity or challenge to avoid boredom, which from a different angle could seem an imperfection. The entire concept's really too-poorly defined to decide.

If it were as the Bible describes, no. Ye GAWDS no. Ick, ick, ick.

But I don't engage in this train of thought much. First I figure out what is true or is likely to be true, and then I start asking whether I want it to be true and, if not, how I can change it. This isn't likely to be true, there's no good basis for thinking it's true, so I don't waste time dwelling on it, any more than I waste time pondering Valhalla or the Elysium Fields.

I mean, I've got Minecraft for that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2015, 01:02 AM
(04-06-2015 10:52 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Let us say that heaven was a place where you live forever and your life is basically perfect. There you are watched over constantly by an ominscient, omnipotent and ominbenevolent god who does sincerely care about your well being and ensures that everything is good.

First I'd demand an answer to the Problem of Evil/Suffering, and if this deity lacked sufficient justification, I'd immediately request non-existence rather than stay there with that cosmic asshole.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-08-2015, 07:40 AM
I'm sure someone said this already, but I'm with Mark Twain on the subject:

Dying man couldn't make up his mind which place to go to -- both have their advantages, "heaven for climate, hell for company!"
- Mark Twain's Notebooks and Journals, vol. 3

Travel has no longer any charm for me. I have seen all the foreign countries I want to except heaven & hell & I have only a vague curiosity about one of those.
- Letter to William Dean Howells, May 20, 1891

We may not doubt that society in heaven consists mainly of undesirable persons.
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Singing hymns and waving palm branches through all eternity is pretty when you hear about it in the pulpit, but it's as poor a way to put in valuable time as a body could contrive.
- Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

It is easy to see that the inventor of the heaven did not originate the idea, but copied it from the show-ceremonies of some sorry little sovereign State up in the back settlements of the Orient somewhere.
- Letters from the Earth

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 07:47 AM
I'd get into heaven just for the sake of secretly inserting myself as an insurgent, then set off a few bombs just to stir some shit up.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-08-2015, 08:09 AM
(04-06-2015 10:52 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Would you want to go to heaven if it were real? Why do you want to go to heaven?

Let us say that heaven was a place where you live forever and your life is basically perfect. There you are watched over constantly by an ominscient, omnipotent and ominbenevolent god who does sincerely care about your well being and ensures that everything is good.

Would you be frightened by the fact that such a being would have constant access to the contents of your mind and see everything you did? Or the fact that you'd be living forever? Does the idea of having your life being perfect, or far better than it is now, frighten you?

You need to define heaven. What exactly is it, and where is it? And what would I be once I got there?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.