• 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Would you work in a munitions factory?
Hypothetical scenario:

You need a job and you have three offers:

- A bread factory
- A surgical instruments factory
- A munitions factory (land mines)

All else being equal, the pay in the munitions factory is double of what you would make at the other places.

Which job would you take?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 07:02 AM
RE: Would you work in a munitions factory?
(30-01-2012 06:42 AM)Zat Wrote:  Hypothetical scenario:

You need a job and you have three offers:

- A bread factory
- A surgical instruments factory
- A munitions factory (land mines)

All else being equal, the pay in the munitions factory is double of what you would make at the other places.

Which job would you take?

what are my motivations?

What the hell, I'll work in the munitions factory Wink After all, responsibility is not mine for firing the guns.

Smile

tee hee...

I know you Zat Wink

It's World War 3. North Korean genetically engineered space gorillas have just conquered the USA and China and the rest of the world. Brave Romania and Zimbabwe are the only free countries which remain. Would you, fighting on the side of the free, work in a munitions factory? A bakery which makes food for the troops on the front? A surgery which fixes broken soldiers so they can go fight more?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-01-2012, 07:06 AM
I wish I could work. You don't know how lucky you have it till it is all gone from you.
30-01-2012, 07:06 AM
(30-01-2012 07:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's World War 3. North Korean genetically engineered space gorillas have just conquered the USA and China and the rest of the world. Brave Romania and Zimbabwe are the only free countries which remain. Would you, fighting on the side of the free, work in a munitions factory? A bakery which makes food for the troops on the front? A surgery which fixes broken soldiers so they can go fight more?

Very funny, robotworld -- however, I set up the hypothetical situation in todays's North America, as it is at the moment.

You can't wiggle out of it that easily! Big Grin
30-01-2012, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 07:12 AM by robotworld.)
The bread factory. A factory of joy where delicious pastries are being made for everyone to enjoy. Safety is another issue too Smile
(30-01-2012 07:06 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(30-01-2012 07:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's World War 3. North Korean genetically engineered space gorillas have just conquered the USA and China and the rest of the world. Brave Romania and Zimbabwe are the only free countries which remain. Would you, fighting on the side of the free, work in a munitions factory? A bakery which makes food for the troops on the front? A surgery which fixes broken soldiers so they can go fight more?

Very funny, robotworld -- however, I set up the hypothetical situation in todays's North America, as it is at the moment.

O_O

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
30-01-2012, 07:18 AM
(30-01-2012 07:06 AM)Zat Wrote:  Very funny, robotworld -- however, I set up the hypothetical situation in todays's North America, as it is at the moment.

... Smile Morondog - that's me. No worries though - we all look alike from behind a keyboard Tongue

Um. A US munitions factory? Well, I'd get the boot if they ever found out my nationality, but assuming that...

IDK enough about world situation really. If US has no munitions - probably a bad thing right? Lots of angry people around who'd like to shoot them. So they have to have munitions. Next... I don't have a particular beef with them and they're offering big bucks. Also if I benefit by their army, I should probably be ready to contribute to their war effort. (Well defense in times of peace, but basically war)... So yeah, I could probably work in a munitions factory Smile

Intellectually I can convince myself of that but now that I think about it... making bombs... things to kill people... I'm emotionally squeamish about such things. I think realistically I'd have to work in the bakery - unskilled job and no ethical worries...

What if you had no job, bills coming in, and the munitions factory was the only job you could get?
30-01-2012, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 07:27 AM by Zat.)
(30-01-2012 07:11 AM)robotworld Wrote:  The bread factory. A factory of joy where delicious pastries are being made for everyone to enjoy. Safety is another issue too Smile

Safety is NOT an issue.

I said "all else being equal", so the assumption is that it is as safe as the other two.

I also assumed that the pay from all three will cover your survival needs (food, rent, mortgage, etc.)

(30-01-2012 07:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... Smile Morondog - that's me. No worries though - we all look alike from behind a keyboard Tongue

Sorry about that, morondog, I anticipated robotword's reply.

Quote:What if you had no job, bills coming in, and the munitions factory was the only job you could get?

I would do anything else. Most probably try to make a living with a small business -- as I am doing now: selling used books on the Internet. You would be surprised what a good and fun way it is to make money -- you don't get rich but you can cover your costs, if you are modest.

I have had this silly notion, all my life: trying to make the world a better place. I don't see myself doing it by producing things (land mines) that serve only one purpose: rip human bodies apart. No amount of money (even if it paid millions) would make me do it.

But this is only my own 2 cents' worth.
30-01-2012, 07:35 AM
If safety is not an issue, then I would work in a surgical instruments factory instead of a bread factory. I hope to offer long term solutions to problems instead of short term solutions, in which the manufacture of such instruments and even invention of new surgical instruments allow the usage of such instruments for long periods of time. This may be what motivated me to become a researcher instead of a doctor.

With regards of why I do not want to choose the munitions factory, I do not wish to be involved in the death of innocent people, whether directly or indirectly. Some may say war is war, but murder is murder.

That said, unless the aggressors are space gorillas with jetpacks. That would be another story Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
30-01-2012, 08:11 AM
The problem with land mines is they stay after the war is long over. You would only have to see the damage done by the mines to answer this silly post. People have to be despite to work in that industry. I am not that sure we still make them in the states. I wouldn't be surprised but I would hope we didn't. It takes a special person to work in that job. Like the ones who rode on a bus with a helmet and the bus was very short.
30-01-2012, 08:17 AM
(30-01-2012 07:35 AM)robotworld Wrote:  With regards of why I do not want to choose the munitions factory, I do not wish to be involved in the death of innocent people, whether directly or indirectly. Some may say war is war, but murder is murder.

... I don't know though. By living in a society that is protected by an army, you are indirectly involved in death of people... how innocent is a question of what definition you place on innocent...

Is self defense a reasonable position for a country to take? Murder is murder, but if the gun is pointed at *you* and yours, can you stand idly by? If the pointer of the gun is some arsehole like Kim Jong Il? Maybe some can, but in that position... I will not I don't think.

And the problem is... as soon as enough people on both sides are convinced that the other side is pointing a gun at them... peace becomes unstable - war is a much more stable state...