Would you work in a munitions factory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 11:19 AM by Zat.)
RE: Would you work in a munitions factory?
(30-01-2012 10:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  I kinda jumped the gun though - didn't realise Zat was looking for opinions, just waded right in with reasons why munitions factories are not necessarily morally evil. Zat, I do apologize, I should have read more carefully.

No problem, morondog -- I wasn't very clear in the OP about the purpose of the thread.

I tried to set up a scenario where you would have to choose between building things that could feed children, cure children or blow arms and legs off of children.

I said 'children' because they are the primary victims of landmines (just Google it looking for "land mines children").

I wasn't going to argue about the morality, I was just interested in yes/no answers to have a feel about general attitudes.

The munition factories are fully staffed, and not just by people who could not get any other job, so I know the general attitudes of North Americans. I was just curious about attitudes on TTA.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Sign me up for the munitions factory.
30-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I'd work in the munitions factory too. I have a family to maintain.

I'll be happy to make landmine DUDS Tongue

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
30-01-2012, 01:56 PM
(30-01-2012 06:42 AM)Zat Wrote:  Hypothetical scenario:

You need a job and you have three offers:

- A bread factory
- A surgical instruments factory
- A munitions factory (land mines)

All else being equal, the pay in the munitions factory is double of what you would make at the other places.

Which job would you take?

I would work in a surgical instruments factory. I would like the idea of making tools to help save people's lives.
Also, I like the beauty of surgical instruments - I view them as small sculptures. A friend of mine has several of his father's surgical instruments on display in his home and it reminds me of a jewelry display in a museum. Many surgical instruments can be quite elegant works of art.

Money? Artists don't need no stinking money! Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-01-2012, 02:10 PM
[Image: 036289_9.jpg]

I really should just go ahead an make memes from this movie. I've posted it before. Everybody's got a mortgage to pay.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
31-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Would I work in a munitions factory? HELL NO! Not because of the so called "ethical" reasons which are stupid and invalid but because it's a "Munitions Factory". I think that working around such things is just asking for something bad to happen.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
31-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Well..if I had a choice I'd probably choose the bakery or a surgical instrument facility.
One of my reasons is that bread doesn't explode...much: you can eat it unlike land mines, which are notoriously inedible no matter how much barbecue sauce you slather on them. Also a ammunitions factory that produces weaponry like land mines are doing so for one reason and that is to maim and kill.

You can't kill with a loaf of bread or croissants.
A surgical tool facility produces what it implies, such things help to save lives not to take them.
Plus the experience from them is far more valuable and applicable.
I guess I just cannot sacrifice my personal ethics just for money.
[+] 1 user Likes Dragon-Wolf's post
31-01-2012, 09:10 PM
I've spent my entire career working in the R&D section of the world's largest munitions factory so I recuse myself.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
31-01-2012, 10:41 PM
(31-01-2012 09:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've spent my entire career working in the R&D section of the world's largest munitions factory so I recuse myself.

You still could tell: if you started out today, with your current mind, 25 years younger, how would you choose in the scenario of the OP. Huh
31-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Ironically, the more people who will not work in the land mine factory the more they will increase the pay to attract the workers they need.

Personally, I'll take the lower pay. Just couldn't think that I assembled a bomb that blew the legs off a 2 year old.

People who place land mines are sick fucking bastards.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post