Wouldn't It Be Depressing To Be Omniscient?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Wouldn't It Be Depressing To Be Omniscient?
We all know the claim the Christians make about their god and how he is omniscient and has this grand plan. Of course, this is incredibly ridiculous to claim that this God loves us all, but sends certain people to a life of eternal torture when he already knew what they would do before he created them, but I digress.

Think about this in terms of what it would be like if you were omniscient. You know everything that will happen before it happens. I know when we think about this at first it sounds really cool: "Man, that would be awesome to know the future before it even happens!" Stop and think about this for a minute though: Because you know everything that is going to happen before it happens, there are absolutely no surprises in life. Every time you competed in something, you already knew whether you would win or lose (wouldn't that just destroy the feeling of accomplishment?). Every time somebody tried to surprise you by doing something nice for you, you already knew they were going to do that. Every time somebody told you that they loved you, you already knew they would say that.

A life like that sounds incredibly depressing to me.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
12-06-2014, 08:18 AM
RE: Wouldn't It Be Depressing To Be Omniscient?
Yup, I agree. Knows everything, can do everything = maximum boredom.

That's why he invented disease, natural disasters, hell, etc. - he needed entertainment - sick jerk that he is. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
12-06-2014, 08:20 AM
(12-06-2014 06:31 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We all know the claim the Christians make about their god and how he is omniscient and has this grand plan. Of course, this is incredibly ridiculous to claim that this God loves us all, but sends certain people to a life of eternal torture when he already knew what they would do before he created them, but I digress.

Think about this in terms of what it would be like if you were omniscient. You know everything that will happen before it happens. I know when we think about this at first it sounds really cool: "Man, that would be awesome to know the future before it even happens!" Stop and think about this for a minute though: Because you know everything that is going to happen before it happens, there are absolutely no surprises in life. Every time you competed in something, you already knew whether you would win or lose (wouldn't that just destroy the feeling of accomplishment?). Every time somebody tried to surprise you by doing something nice for you, you already knew they were going to do that. Every time somebody told you that they loved you, you already knew they would say that.

Yeah I have thought about this. There would be nothing new to learn, no values to achieve, no goals to set, no surprises or light bulb moments as you gain understanding. There would be nothing to live for. I think a being such as that would be incapable of relating to us. It would not be a source of morality because what need could it possibly have for a moral code if it has no choices to make in order to survive.

Of course we were not created by God in his image, we created God in our image in our imaginations with all the attributes that we wish we had. The worshiping of this
god is an attempt to do one thing, to escape from reality. It is the desire for Automatic values, automatic knowledge, unconditional love, automatic purpose in life, automatic meaning and automatic forgiveness. It is an attempt to escape the law of causality. Since our mind is the ultimate cause of all values it is an attempt to escape from the need to think and the responsibility to act. That is the essence of Christianity which is why I say it is an anti-life philosophy.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
12-06-2014, 08:29 AM
(12-06-2014 08:20 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:31 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We all know the claim the Christians make about their god and how he is omniscient and has this grand plan. Of course, this is incredibly ridiculous to claim that this God loves us all, but sends certain people to a life of eternal torture when he already knew what they would do before he created them, but I digress.

Yeah I have thought about this. There would be nothing new to learn, no values to achieve, no goals to set, no surprises or light bulb moments as you gain understanding. There would be nothing to live for. I think a being such as that would be incapable of relating to us. It would not be a source of morality because what need could it possibly have for a moral code if it has no choices to make in order to survive.

Of course we were not created by God in his image, we created God in our image in our imaginations with all the attributes that we wish we had. The worshiping of this
god is an attempt to do one thing, to escape from reality. It is the desire for Automatic values, automatic knowledge, unconditional love, automatic purpose in life, automatic meaning and automatic forgiveness. It is an attempt to escape the law of causality. Since our mind is the ultimate cause of all values it is an attempt to escape from the need to think and the responsibility to act. That is the essence of Christianity which is why I say it is an anti-life philosophy.

Genetic fallacy it seems to me.
12-06-2014, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 08:46 AM by Raptor Jesus.)

I actually thought a lot about this as a kid, when I was trying to figure out if this "God" business even could make any kind of sense.

It's actually worst than how you state it. It's not just that there would be no surprises. You would actually know everything, so there would be no reason to do anything. You know every out come of ever action you take, and with omniscients, you would experience all possible infinite out comes as real as if they actually happened, even if they didn't happen because you know and understand it as will as if it actually happened in reality, whether it did or not. There for there would be no reason to intervene in any part or aspect of life, and you experience it all in one moment anyway because you have equal access to the present past and future, of all possible realities. You experience it all in one instant, so no reason to actually do anything at all, because you've already experienced all out comes as though they were real.

12-06-2014, 08:48 AM
The Greatest Conceivable Being cannot become bored.

So saying that it would be boring to be The Greatest Conceivable Being is like saying that a triangle would be a circle. Its non-sensical.
12-06-2014, 08:51 AM

true true, very odd this omnipotent super genie didn't know upon creating the universe and all within it with a wiggle of his 5th appendage that in the future we would eat the sacred apple and doom ourselves to an eternity in sin...thank goodness for the incarnation and atonement available at your nearby christian church to set things right again...10% tithing on the way out much appreciated of course Consider

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
12-06-2014, 08:55 AM
(12-06-2014 08:48 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The Greatest Conceivable Being cannot become bored.

Angry HOW DARE YOU MEER MORTAL TO ATTEMPT TO PUT LIMITS ON WHAT GOD CAN DO!!!!! Angry

REPENT OF YOUR WICKED THOUGHTS ABOUT YOUR ALMIGHTY, ALL POWERFUL LORD THY GOD.
AngryAngryAngry

*lightening bolts and thunder rain down on you*

12-06-2014, 08:57 AM
(12-06-2014 08:48 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The Greatest Conceivable Being cannot become bored.

So saying that it would be boring to be The Greatest Conceivable Being is like saying that a triangle would be a circle. Its non-sensical.

saying that the greatest conceivable super genie exists simply because we can't prove he doesn't is like saying a triangle is a circle. I posit venus is hollow and full of pink haired little blue men who ride purple unicorns that fart angel dust which if properly snorted, grants wishes to all true believers.....perhaps you also believe this? no? why not? I would think if one was of the mind to believe in one nonsense fairy tale, you would at least be open to others...how about bigfoot? believe in him too? You know, unlike your made up christ, you can watch documentary films and see this elusive creature running through the woods in a blurry video, you can go right now and talk to hundreds of individuals (some even christian) that will swear they saw, heard, smelt bigfoot.......still dont believe in bigfoot? why? You believe in a fabricated fairy tale with zero evidence, but won't believe in something of which there is so much evidence.... Consider

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Actually your claim that there is an all powerful god is exactly like saying there is such a thing as a round triangle. It is self contradictory as I explained to you in your thread titled "veritas". Your greatest conceivable being exists only in your imagination. If it actually did exist it would be bored as hell.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post