Wouldn't It Be Depressing To Be Omniscient?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: Wouldn't It Be Depressing To Be Omniscient?
(12-06-2014 06:31 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Think about this in terms of what it would be like if you were omniscient. You know everything that will happen before it happens....

A life like that sounds incredibly depressing to me.

The trick is, you just "turn it off" by ignoring your senses. Or something. I'm honestly not sure how this is supposed to work, and neither is anyone else, but that doesn't stop Christians from implying that God can do it.

Sure, they never* come out and say that he can turn it off, but they can't stop fapping to free will. We all know that free will is meaningless to an entity who can flawlessly predict the future, but the claim is always the same: some variation of "God needs to know who really loves him, and he needs free will to do that". That implies that God couldn't simply know the answer. So, either he's not omniscient (heresy!) or he's turning it off (heresy?).

*Some Christians have gotten sophisticated enough in their apologetics to admit that God doesn't know everything. Two possible answers I've heard are:
  • God sees all possibilities, but doesn't know which will happen. This seems incredibly useless see see infinite outcomes and not know what will happen. I think he's supposed to use heuristics like a chess program, or something, to narrow it down to the most likely.
  • God can't see past our decisions. Again, this seems next to useless. It might have worked well in the bronze age, but we live in a world where a "human decision" to push the big red button means that God can't meaningfully see more than a few minutes into the future.
Both seem like pointless semantics, but hey: the problem of evil is solved!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 09:33 AM
(12-06-2014 08:29 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:20 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Yeah I have thought about this. There would be nothing new to learn, no values to achieve, no goals to set, no surprises or light bulb moments as you gain understanding. There would be nothing to live for. I think a being such as that would be incapable of relating to us. It would not be a source of morality because what need could it possibly have for a moral code if it has no choices to make in order to survive.

Of course we were not created by God in his image, we created God in our image in our imaginations with all the attributes that we wish we had. The worshiping of this
god is an attempt to do one thing, to escape from reality. It is the desire for Automatic values, automatic knowledge, unconditional love, automatic purpose in life, automatic meaning and automatic forgiveness. It is an attempt to escape the law of causality. Since our mind is the ultimate cause of all values it is an attempt to escape from the need to think and the responsibility to act. That is the essence of Christianity which is why I say it is an anti-life philosophy.

Genetic fallacy it seems to me.

You are mister fallacy. You like to commit all the fallacies that exist.
12-06-2014, 10:44 AM
(12-06-2014 09:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:31 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Think about this in terms of what it would be like if you were omniscient. You know everything that will happen before it happens....

A life like that sounds incredibly depressing to me.

The trick is, you just "turn it off" by ignoring your senses. Or something. I'm honestly not sure how this is supposed to work, and neither is anyone else, but that doesn't stop Christians from implying that God can do it.

Sure, they never* come out and say that he can turn it off, but they can't stop fapping to free will. We all know that free will is meaningless to an entity who can flawlessly predict the future, but the claim is always the same: some variation of "God needs to know who really loves him, and he needs free will to do that". That implies that God couldn't simply know the answer. So, either he's not omniscient (heresy!) or he's turning it off (heresy?).

*Some Christians have gotten sophisticated enough in their apologetics to admit that God doesn't know everything. Two possible answers I've heard are:
  • God sees all possibilities, but doesn't know which will happen. This seems incredibly useless see see infinite outcomes and not know what will happen. I think he's supposed to use heuristics like a chess program, or something, to narrow it down to the most likely.
  • God can't see past our decisions. Again, this seems next to useless. It might have worked well in the bronze age, but we live in a world where a "human decision" to push the big red button means that God can't meaningfully see more than a few minutes into the future.
Both seem like pointless semantics, but hey: the problem of evil is solved!

hehe well said, I always liked the "free will" concept, amuses me greatly...*poof* I create life and give it free will Laughat, then demand it worship me or spend eternity in hell Evil_monster...kind of seems like the inverse of the "gift" of free will Facepalm.....*wiggles a stick in one hand and a sugar cube in the other*....come on, YOU have a choice which hand you turn towards Blink

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-06-2014, 01:04 PM
(12-06-2014 08:48 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The Greatest Conceivable Being cannot be. come bored.

Fixed.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
12-06-2014, 01:08 PM
(12-06-2014 01:04 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 08:48 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The Greatest Conceivable Being cannot be. come bored.

Fixed.

nicely done Laugh out load

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-06-2014, 01:42 PM
For a being that was always omniscient? It would be the ultimate nightmare, or, at the very least, make it emotionless. For a being that was never even close to omniscient to begin with and wanted to learn? It would be the ultimate thrill. At least IMO. I have given this a lot of thought.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
12-06-2014, 07:17 PM
It might be necessary to create a bunch of little people to fuck with in order to relieve the boredom. Sure, you know what is going to happen to them all but the act of creation and destruction is still good for letting off steam.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.