Wow. I feel dumb.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Wow. I feel dumb.
I just found out yesterday that we have pictures of Venus' actual surface taken by the Venera lander.

Why haven't I ever seen these? We're constantly flooded with Mars surface pictures. Why are these so seemingly obscure?

Moreover, why haven't we (humans as a whole) sent more landers there?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
18-08-2015, 02:24 PM
RE: Wow. I feel dumb.
I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. I’m dumber. Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
18-08-2015, 02:28 PM
They don't survive very long, but quick enough to get some information and data.

I don't know if we have technology still to last a good time. Russia has done more Venus type of research than NASA has I believe. So perhaps the range of who is doing the research work may of impacted more what you have taken in. Russia is probably better at doing expendable strong to get to the region data but not as good at making their space technology last a great deal of time. They kinda just crash things in and collect the data from that a lot.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
18-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Some pictures of Venus' surface... look at that sky... wow:

[Image: VC80hC4.png]

[Image: venus-surface-1024.jpg]

[Image: ev4f0a646b.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 11 users Like kingschosen's post
18-08-2015, 02:55 PM
They built the thing like a pot-bellied stove to withstand the harsh Venus atmosphere, kudos to them for accomplishing this, I'm sure the subsequent Magellan mission that NASA sent influenced their choice to keep it an exclusively orbital mission.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I always thought those pics would make an awesome album cover, with the sharp edges on the craft and the outlook of the surface. Reminds me of this:
[Image: 613.jpg]

Which would fit since the pressure on Venus means certain Death.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
18-08-2015, 03:22 PM
The average temperature on Venus is 864 degrees Fahrenheit (462 degrees Celsius). Temperature changes slightly traveling through the atmosphere, growing cooler farther away from the surface. Lead would melt on the surface of the planet, where the temperature is around 872 F (467 C).

http://www.space.com/18526-venus-temperature.html

Venera 4 was launched from a Tyazheliy Sputnik (67-058B) on 12 June 1967. After a mid-course correction on 29 July, the probe was released from the bus and entered the nightside Venusian atmosphere on October 18, 1967, at 04:34 UT. The main bus entered the atmosphere behind the probe but was not designed to survive entry. The probe initially braked using a thick ablative heatshield. At a velocity of 1032 km/hr the 2.2 meter drogue parachute was deployed, followed by a 55 meter main parachute at an altitude of 52 km. The scientific instruments had been turned on 5 minutes after separation at an altitude of about 55 km and remained on for 93 minutes, returning 23 sets of readings, until it reached an altitude of roughly 25 km, where it succumbed to the atmospheric pressure (22 bar) and temperature (277 C). The probe was over the Eisila region at approximately 19 degrees N, 38 degrees E.

The probe measured an atmospheric composition of 90 - 95% carbon dioxide. The bus detected no magnetic field or radiation belts and a weak finding of atomic hydrogen at 9900 km altitude. It was initially believed that the probe had reached the ground and the measured temperature and pressure represented the surface values on Venus.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCat...=1967-058A

(More data about the Venera landers can be found on the NASA site.)

I heard from a space buff friend of mine who went to work for Raytheon (subcontractor for NASA) that the Venera craft's melting electronics "screamed" (made a sound that could be heard on radios as what we'd call a scream) in their final transmission, freaking out the Russians. I can't confirm if he was pulling my leg, but it's a cool story.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2015, 03:25 PM
(18-08-2015 02:55 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  They built the thing like a pot-bellied stove to withstand the harsh Venus atmosphere, kudos to them for accomplishing this, I'm sure the subsequent Magellan mission that NASA sent influenced their choice to keep it an exclusively orbital mission.

Even the Russians gave up on landers. Of the 16 Venera missions, only the first 10 were landers. Heh.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/venera.html

Edit to Add Correction: The Wiki article says there were more landers; the later ones just didn't do so well due to failures of various sorts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Whoa, even more cool stuff:

The Russians are working on a new Venera mission(s), set to fly in 2024.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera-D

Though I say Venera-D sounds like some sort of medicine for STI treatment.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Venus is HAWT DroolingDroolingDrooling

Mars is more like us, and is easier (TWSS) to rove.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post