Wrath filled Gods.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Wrath filled Gods.
Historically gods appear to have been wrathful, meting out punishments to the mere mortals who they allegedly somehow created in their own sublime images.
In Hinduism we read of Krishna condemning his charioteer Arjuna for being hesitant in waging war upon his neighbours. The Avatar cajoles him for his concerns, claiming that such aggression will be simply worked out in the celestial wash. Interestingly cosmic glories for eternity, cannot be sanely justified in any compelling way; rather, we engage in this weird hope ensconced within the unknown.

Getting closer to home Yahweh, God of the Israelites, comes across as filled with more than a fair dose of hate and this is utilized by his followers in completely destroying the ungodly such as the Midianites and Amalekites et al. He (It) openly admits to being a jealous god and is seen to be placated by the scent of freshly slaughtered roasting lamb as it wafts Heavenward.Given the alleged perfect and loving nature of this God, and claim to infallibility of the bible by a good many,the believer seems left to fearful trembling in his hopes... or a demolition job. The beasts of burden, of course, are a lost cause to begin with....

Today many are celebrating the resurrection of the so called Prince of Peace, who some claim introduced a new and better pacifism. Rather than take an 'eye for an eye' we were obliged to turn the other cheek (Matt 5:38) walk the extra mile, and give every thing to the poor. AS for loving our enemies,laying down arms etc; this in the hardest sense can only relate to an intense death wish, not only for ourselves, but also anyone close to us. WE are asked to be perfect like our Father in Heaven!
Was He really talking about Old Jehovah?

Even if we disregard the fact that Jesus alters the absolutes of God the Father, the formers demands for passivity are not consistent with the total message of the New Testament. Jesus himself whips the money changers (John 2:16) speaks of setting families against one another (Luke 22:36), and suggests his followers take up arms, albeit in a very limited sense. In Matthew 8:30 we read of the tomb dweller Legion having several evil spirits removed. And what does Jesus do? He feeds them to the pigs who jump into the sea and drown. Clearly a Jewish porker bias there!

Where religious literature, of all persuasions push for eternal life, promoting vacuous heavens and hells, one would expect at least some consistency and lack of constant contradictions. As it is, the religious person must navigate page upon page of conflicting views and much silliness. It is sad that attempts to find some degrees of a sane spirituality, ethics, hope, and meaning for existence has simply merged into even more confusion, hatred, and disenchantment...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
18-04-2014, 07:19 PM
RE: Wrath filled Gods.
tl;dr

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
18-04-2014, 07:23 PM
"It is sad that attempts to find some degrees of a sane spirituality, ethics, hope, and meaning for existence has simply merged into even more confusion, hatred, and disenchantment... "

Keep watching the skies...

Coming soon... Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris

See more at: http://www.samharris.org/#
18-04-2014, 07:58 PM
(18-04-2014 07:23 PM)endery2k Wrote:  "It is sad that attempts to find some degrees of a sane spirituality, ethics, hope, and meaning for existence has simply merged into even more confusion, hatred, and disenchantment... "

Keep watching the skies...

Coming soon... Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris

See more at: http://www.samharris.org/#

Welcome to the forum.
Sam Harris seems to engage some mild Buddhist considerations.
He doesn't really fit the harder line mould of Dawkins, Dennett, and Hitchins et al.
19-04-2014, 04:29 PM
(18-04-2014 07:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  tl;dr

What a profound statement!
You have really excelled yourself.Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
19-04-2014, 08:27 PM
(18-04-2014 06:46 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Historically gods appear to have been wrathful, meting out punishments to the mere mortals who they allegedly somehow created in their own sublime images.
In Hinduism we read of Krishna condemning his charioteer Arjuna for being hesitant in waging war upon his neighbours. The Avatar cajoles him for his concerns, claiming that such aggression will be simply worked out in the celestial wash. Interestingly cosmic glories for eternity, cannot be sanely justified in any compelling way; rather, we engage in this weird hope ensconced within the unknown.

Getting closer to home Yahweh, God of the Israelites, comes across as filled with more than a fair dose of hate and this is utilized by his followers in completely destroying the ungodly such as the Midianites and Amalekites et al. He (It) openly admits to being a jealous god and is seen to be placated by the scent of freshly slaughtered roasting lamb as it wafts Heavenward.Given the alleged perfect and loving nature of this God, and claim to infallibility of the bible by a good many,the believer seems left to fearful trembling in his hopes... or a demolition job. The beasts of burden, of course, are a lost cause to begin with....

Today many are celebrating the resurrection of the so called Prince of Peace, who some claim introduced a new and better pacifism. Rather than take an 'eye for an eye' we were obliged to turn the other cheek (Matt 5:38) walk the extra mile, and give every thing to the poor. AS for loving our enemies,laying down arms etc; this in the hardest sense can only relate to an intense death wish, not only for ourselves, but also anyone close to us. WE are asked to be perfect like our Father in Heaven!
Was He really talking about Old Jehovah?

Even if we disregard the fact that Jesus alters the absolutes of God the Father, the formers demands for passivity are not consistent with the total message of the New Testament. Jesus himself whips the money changers (John 2:16) speaks of setting families against one another (Luke 22:36), and suggests his followers take up arms, albeit in a very limited sense. In Matthew 8:30 we read of the tomb dweller Legion having several evil spirits removed. And what does Jesus do? He feeds them to the pigs who jump into the sea and drown. Clearly a Jewish porker bias there!

Where religious literature, of all persuasions push for eternal life, promoting vacuous heavens and hells, one would expect at least some consistency and lack of constant contradictions. As it is, the religious person must navigate page upon page of conflicting views and much silliness. It is sad that attempts to find some degrees of a sane spirituality, ethics, hope, and meaning for existence has simply merged into even more confusion, hatred, and disenchantment...

I completely agree with this post. Jehovah is a dick, pardon the expression.
19-04-2014, 11:10 PM
(19-04-2014 04:29 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(18-04-2014 07:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  tl;dr

What a profound statement!
You have really excelled yourself.Thumbsup

Thanks, I try.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
19-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Although I don't drink, I'd have a drink with Bacchus. Smile

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.