Wrenching

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Wrenching
So - how many people here have a set of tools?

How many people USE their tools?

And most importantly -- how many people here have a set of tools, use them - and know what the hell they're doing??????

I'm an old-school gearhead. I've been working on cars, trucks and motorcycles and small engines for over 40 years.

I do 99 percent of the work on my vehicles. There's only a couple of things I won't do - for the most part.

I don't do paint. I don't want the mess, I'm not any good at it, and I don't want to buy the equipment. Upholstery -- same thing. Transmissions. I'll do a motorcycle tranny - because they're stupid simple. If it came out of a car, or truck -- I'll take it in to have it serviced...... I let the experts handle such things. Too many moving parts.......

My latest project. An engine swap. My SO has a 1996 Saturn SC2 that she bought new -- and it's got 300,000 miles on it -- and the engine lost compression on the #3 cylinder -- so we put the car in the barn..... She drove Saturn #4 -- also a 1996. I have a 1995 SC2 that I rebuilt the engine in -- then didn't really drive much.... This spring I put it on the road just for the hell of it -- and promptly broke a stabilizer mount for the rear suspension...... It requires the car being completely disassembled and major rebuilding of the underbody.... No small job........
So -- I'm finally yanking the engine out of the 95 and installing it in the 96.....

I've got a heated garage -- a 2 post lift - and just about any tool you need. If I don't have it, and can't buy it -- I've got a machine shop to build it. I've even got two drive train cradle stands that I built - so I can drop the entire drivetrain out the bottom of the car as a unit (like they do in the factory).....

If it was just the engine swap - I'd have it done in a few days..... But, we're going all out on this puppy... All new exhaust, brakes, rubber brake lines - and all the suspension mounting bushings...... When I get done with this car (which has almost zero underbody rust) it should be good for a couple 100,000 more miles.....

Anybody else taking on any big projects???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-12-2015, 04:48 PM
RE: Wrenching
I did rough carpentry when I built homes, still have all my tools.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Two days ago I changed all of my brakes, calipers and rotors on my car. Not a gear head, but car maintenance is basically common sense for the most part.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
07-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I've got a pretty good supply of wrenches in both SAE and metric, plus torque wrenches, gear pullers, taps & dies, screw drivers, hammers, mallets, saws, bench grinder,... Basic stuff.

I do far less auto maintenance than I did when cars were simpler (and more in need of maintenance).

The biggest jobs I've taken on myself were replacing MacPherson struts and swapping out an engine in a Datsun 510.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-12-2015, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 05:54 PM by pablo.)
I was an auto mechanic until about 10 years ago. While I was in the hospital having surgery, (the one time I left my toolbox unlocked) someone broke into my parents garage where I had my stuff stored and stole most of it. Would have cost $7,000 to replace, insurance gave me $ 3,000. I sold what was left including the Snap-on box and moved to California doing concrete.

ETA: This is what I had. Mine was red though.

[Image: IMG_20110511_142348.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
07-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Yes, I have a tool box.

Yes there are tools in it.

Yes I know what most of them are called.

Yes I know how to use most of them.

But really, anything can be used as a tool. I've used my old high heels to hammer a nail into the wall more than once, because I'm clever and female. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-12-2015, 05:47 PM
(07-12-2015 05:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, I have a tool box.

But really, anything can be used as a tool. I've used my old high heels to hammer a nail into the wall more than once, because I'm clever and female. Tongue
My theory is almost anything can be used as a bottle opener......

I can open a beer bottle with a 30-06 cartridge, a crucifix or my girlfriend's hairbrush.......

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-12-2015, 06:30 PM
(07-12-2015 05:47 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 05:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, I have a tool box.

My theory is almost anything can be used as a bottle opener......

I can open a beer bottle with a 30-06 cartridge, a crucifix or my girlfriend's hairbrush.......

Smile

I will gnaw that bottle cap off if needed, and I will dig out that wine cork out with a steak knife if that's what it's going to take.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
08-12-2015, 06:35 PM
last week I had enough tools(and knowledge) with me to repair a common rail cummins truck alongside the highway.
I used to do everything I could, but these days if somebody will press in and press out the ball joints on a heavier truck for less than a few hundred I am goot with that. I don't mind subbing out the heavy hammer work. I still do all my own clutches, transmissions, engine R & R. Those I still consider "fun".
08-12-2015, 07:28 PM
(08-12-2015 06:30 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I will gnaw that bottle cap off if needed, and I will dig out that wine cork out with a steak knife if that's what it's going to take.

Where have you been my whole life????

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post