Wrenching

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Wrenching
So - how many people here have a set of tools?

How many people USE their tools?

And most importantly -- how many people here have a set of tools, use them - and know what the hell they're doing??????

I'm an old-school gearhead. I've been working on cars, trucks and motorcycles and small engines for over 40 years.

I do 99 percent of the work on my vehicles. There's only a couple of things I won't do - for the most part.

I don't do paint. I don't want the mess, I'm not any good at it, and I don't want to buy the equipment. Upholstery -- same thing. Transmissions. I'll do a motorcycle tranny - because they're stupid simple. If it came out of a car, or truck -- I'll take it in to have it serviced...... I let the experts handle such things. Too many moving parts.......

My latest project. An engine swap. My SO has a 1996 Saturn SC2 that she bought new -- and it's got 300,000 miles on it -- and the engine lost compression on the #3 cylinder -- so we put the car in the barn..... She drove Saturn #4 -- also a 1996. I have a 1995 SC2 that I rebuilt the engine in -- then didn't really drive much.... This spring I put it on the road just for the hell of it -- and promptly broke a stabilizer mount for the rear suspension...... It requires the car being completely disassembled and major rebuilding of the underbody.... No small job........
So -- I'm finally yanking the engine out of the 95 and installing it in the 96.....

I've got a heated garage -- a 2 post lift - and just about any tool you need. If I don't have it, and can't buy it -- I've got a machine shop to build it. I've even got two drive train cradle stands that I built - so I can drop the entire drivetrain out the bottom of the car as a unit (like they do in the factory).....

If it was just the engine swap - I'd have it done in a few days..... But, we're going all out on this puppy... All new exhaust, brakes, rubber brake lines - and all the suspension mounting bushings...... When I get done with this car (which has almost zero underbody rust) it should be good for a couple 100,000 more miles.....

Anybody else taking on any big projects???

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-12-2015, 04:48 PM
RE: Wrenching
I did rough carpentry when I built homes, still have all my tools.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Two days ago I changed all of my brakes, calipers and rotors on my car. Not a gear head, but car maintenance is basically common sense for the most part.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
07-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I've got a pretty good supply of wrenches in both SAE and metric, plus torque wrenches, gear pullers, taps & dies, screw drivers, hammers, mallets, saws, bench grinder,... Basic stuff.

I do far less auto maintenance than I did when cars were simpler (and more in need of maintenance).

The biggest jobs I've taken on myself were replacing MacPherson struts and swapping out an engine in a Datsun 510.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-12-2015, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 05:54 PM by pablo.)
I was an auto mechanic until about 10 years ago. While I was in the hospital having surgery, (the one time I left my toolbox unlocked) someone broke into my parents garage where I had my stuff stored and stole most of it. Would have cost $7,000 to replace, insurance gave me $ 3,000. I sold what was left including the Snap-on box and moved to California doing concrete.

ETA: This is what I had. Mine was red though.

[Image: IMG_20110511_142348.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
07-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Yes, I have a tool box.

Yes there are tools in it.

Yes I know what most of them are called.

Yes I know how to use most of them.

But really, anything can be used as a tool. I've used my old high heels to hammer a nail into the wall more than once, because I'm clever and female. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 9 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-12-2015, 05:47 PM
(07-12-2015 05:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, I have a tool box.

But really, anything can be used as a tool. I've used my old high heels to hammer a nail into the wall more than once, because I'm clever and female. Tongue
My theory is almost anything can be used as a bottle opener......

I can open a beer bottle with a 30-06 cartridge, a crucifix or my girlfriend's hairbrush.......

Smile

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-12-2015, 06:30 PM
(07-12-2015 05:47 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 05:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes, I have a tool box.

My theory is almost anything can be used as a bottle opener......

I can open a beer bottle with a 30-06 cartridge, a crucifix or my girlfriend's hairbrush.......

Smile

I will gnaw that bottle cap off if needed, and I will dig out that wine cork out with a steak knife if that's what it's going to take.

My strategy of ignoring my problems until they disappear never seems to work out for me. ...I'll try to get around to dealing with that in the near future.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
08-12-2015, 06:35 PM
last week I had enough tools(and knowledge) with me to repair a common rail cummins truck alongside the highway.
I used to do everything I could, but these days if somebody will press in and press out the ball joints on a heavier truck for less than a few hundred I am goot with that. I don't mind subbing out the heavy hammer work. I still do all my own clutches, transmissions, engine R & R. Those I still consider "fun".
08-12-2015, 07:28 PM
(08-12-2015 06:30 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I will gnaw that bottle cap off if needed, and I will dig out that wine cork out with a steak knife if that's what it's going to take.

Where have you been my whole life????

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post