Wrenching

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 07:32 PM
RE: Wrenching
(08-12-2015 06:35 PM)skyking Wrote:  last week I had enough tools(and knowledge) with me to repair a common rail cummins truck alongside the highway.
I used to do everything I could, but these days if somebody will press in and press out the ball joints on a heavier truck for less than a few hundred I am goot with that. I don't mind subbing out the heavy hammer work. I still do all my own clutches, transmissions, engine R & R. Those I still consider "fun".

BTW - like your avatar.... I used to work at an FBO in Kalamazoo Michigan -- (Kal-Aero) and got to be the guy with the (useless) fire extinguisher when they fired up a P-51.... If it didn't catch on full rich -- you could get a flaring on the side of the aircraft...... It did happen once - and then the engine caught -- which snuffed the flaming -- and left me blasting off a CO2 extinguisher for no good reason at all.....

Good times..........

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-12-2015, 07:35 PM
I have an odd assortment of tools that I use for my window covering business. Sometimes I make padded cornice boards for windows or padded headboards and use all kinds of upholstery tools. I have a compressor for my air stapler which I use mostly for the cornices but it comes in handy for other stuff as well. I have a heavy ass grommet press that I use for big metal grommets that are used in draperies headings like this...

[Image: cat3590080_s15?wid=696&fmt=jpeg&...mp;wid=696]

I have industrial sewing machines of one sort and another, I guess that's not really a tool though is it.

I have a 60 inch metal ruler and electric scissors and little tack hammers and some bigger hammers and staple extractors and lots of clamps to clamp fabric down on my big ass cutting table. I've got a couple of hack saws to cut through metal drapery rods and regular saws for making cornices. I've got a button press for covered buttons that I sew on tufted bench cushions and I use an 8 inch upholstery needle for that. I've got an electric turkey carving knife that I use to cut upholstery foam and I've got a whole crap load of other stuff too numerous to mention.

Yeah, I got tools. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-12-2015, 10:50 PM
I thought this was going to be some weird sexual practice thread. Instead I find myself, here.

[Image: disappointment.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
09-12-2015, 04:17 PM
(07-12-2015 05:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But really, anything can be used as a tool. I've used my old high heels to hammer a nail into the wall more than once, because I'm clever and female. Tongue

You need one of these toolkits specially made for women.

[Image: woman%20toolkit_zpszmuugzsx.jpg]

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 2 users Like stevec's post
09-12-2015, 04:21 PM
I carry the only tool I ever need in my pants. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-12-2015, 04:23 PM
(08-12-2015 07:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 06:35 PM)skyking Wrote:  last week I had enough tools(and knowledge) with me to repair a common rail cummins truck alongside the highway.
I used to do everything I could, but these days if somebody will press in and press out the ball joints on a heavier truck for less than a few hundred I am goot with that. I don't mind subbing out the heavy hammer work. I still do all my own clutches, transmissions, engine R & R. Those I still consider "fun".

BTW - like your avatar.... I used to work at an FBO in Kalamazoo Michigan -- (Kal-Aero) and got to be the guy with the (useless) fire extinguisher when they fired up a P-51.... If it didn't catch on full rich -- you could get a flaring on the side of the aircraft...... It did happen once - and then the engine caught -- which snuffed the flaming -- and left me blasting off a CO2 extinguisher for no good reason at all.....

Good times..........

Big Grin
You'd really like the plane in that picture. It is a 2/3rds scale Thunder Mustang, complete with a custom made aluminum V-12. As sexy as the real mustang is, this thing is better. They tuned and tuned the short pipes to give it this eargasmic flyover quality.
10-12-2015, 08:18 AM
(07-12-2015 04:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So - how many people here have a set of tools?

How many people USE their tools?

And most importantly -- how many people here have a set of tools, use them - and know what the hell they're doing??????

I'm an old-school gearhead. I've been working on cars, trucks and motorcycles and small engines for over 40 years.

I do 99 percent of the work on my vehicles. There's only a couple of things I won't do - for the most part.

I don't do paint. I don't want the mess, I'm not any good at it, and I don't want to buy the equipment. Upholstery -- same thing. Transmissions. I'll do a motorcycle tranny - because they're stupid simple. If it came out of a car, or truck -- I'll take it in to have it serviced...... I let the experts handle such things. Too many moving parts.......

My latest project. An engine swap. My SO has a 1996 Saturn SC2 that she bought new -- and it's got 300,000 miles on it -- and the engine lost compression on the #3 cylinder -- so we put the car in the barn..... She drove Saturn #4 -- also a 1996. I have a 1995 SC2 that I rebuilt the engine in -- then didn't really drive much.... This spring I put it on the road just for the hell of it -- and promptly broke a stabilizer mount for the rear suspension...... It requires the car being completely disassembled and major rebuilding of the underbody.... No small job........
So -- I'm finally yanking the engine out of the 95 and installing it in the 96.....

I've got a heated garage -- a 2 post lift - and just about any tool you need. If I don't have it, and can't buy it -- I've got a machine shop to build it. I've even got two drive train cradle stands that I built - so I can drop the entire drivetrain out the bottom of the car as a unit (like they do in the factory).....

If it was just the engine swap - I'd have it done in a few days..... But, we're going all out on this puppy... All new exhaust, brakes, rubber brake lines - and all the suspension mounting bushings...... When I get done with this car (which has almost zero underbody rust) it should be good for a couple 100,000 more miles.....

Anybody else taking on any big projects???

I'm no auto mechanic, but I work in HVAC so I have to have tools and know how to use them. I also do most of my home repairs myself (though I did need some help last week replacing the old gas lines under my house. A pipe threader is something that I don't have).

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
28-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Just ran across this, knew just the place to post it.

[Image: 11240780_587987874677820_8221158753779705493_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
28-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Nice one Pablo Smile
I'm picking this one tomorrow.
http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature...48149.html
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
28-12-2015, 07:12 PM
(08-12-2015 10:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I thought this was going to be some weird sexual practice thread. Instead I find myself, here.

[Image: disappointment.jpg]

lmao... I know, when I first read it I read, "Wenching" and I thought "oh, a Renaissance thread. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadTongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post